Video Need DTH Suggestions

webnewtons

Recruit
Hello Friends,
I need your views on something. Currently i m using local cable operator. Now i m thinking whether i should stick to him or shift to some DTH Service. Some of the key deciding factor are

1) Does during heaving rain/thunderstorm the transmission of any DTH service becomes very bad?
2) Do the picture quality of DTH is better then local cable guy
3) DO the DTH companies also shuffle the channels like local cable?

However, if i choose any DTH then which one i should go for? I have heard about Tata Sky, Airtel , Reliance BIG TV, Videocon, Dish TV

I m looking to use one in which the basic package covers most of the commonly viewed channels.

Looking ahead to your suggestions

Get Airtel DTH it is the best.

It is better than TS in PQ but it CC sucks.

I have Airtel Recorder and it is quite good btw the PQ of the Recorder is better than the normal Airtel STB.

1.dth has lot better picture quality.

2. Definitely no swapping of channels.

3. Using Airtel dth but never effected by rain or thunderstorm.

Check airtel or tata sky and do not order online. They take too much time.

1) Does during heaving rain/thunderstorm the transmission of any DTH service becomes very bad?

2) Do the picture quality of DTH is better then local cable guy

3) DO the DTH companies also shuffle the channels like local cable?

1) It does if the rain is very heavy or there is a heavy cloud cover. Also depends on your normal signal strength. Make sure that you get the technician who comes to fit the DTH to set the dish properly so that the strength and quality are well above the normal preset bar. Irrespective of this, if there is heavy rain, it will affect transmission. That is true for all operators though.

2) Yes. But in some cases not by much and the local cable might offer a lot more channels cheaper. Make sure you first make a list of channels you really watch. Then compare plans and see which DTH plan suits you and what is the monthly bill. If the cable is a lot cheaper and its quality is not that bad(you have to verify that), it might be better going with cable. There are a lot of people who are still on cable :lol:

3) No.

Purely on research done last year, i think airtel offers a lot of good top up packages with a cheap base(and a lot of individual channel specific topups). I wanted CNN+BBC+CNBC combo and airtel has a package that has all these channels in one topup (English News Plus). In almost all other ops, the combo topup is absent and merging two topups comes out quite costly. Again its subjective as the channels you watch might well be present on the operator topup. Only gripe with airtel is that it takes a long time to add channels. eg, it added WB just a month back after a long wait. Plus you won't find discovery science, turbo there yet.

In terms of flexibility of choosing the channels that you want to watch, Airtel is by far the best with their topups. No other operator gives that flexibility. They also have good base packages.

The other option you could explore is Dish TV.

me too decidin between airtel and tata sky...

airtel seems to have better overall packages for lesser price..(if u dont watch too many regional channels)

also includes sports channels espn /star sports /star cricket in the economy pack..

which in tata sky are available only thru topup with the comparable super value pack..

only channel am badly gonna miss in airtel is discovery turbo :(

Sorry to hijack your thread webnewtons, but I have one question about DTH that i would like to ask all who already own DTH service.

Now at my place there is a lot of problem of monkeys, does it happen that the dish moves out of position because of the monkey/(s)???

also what about thieves carrying away the dish from terraces (i.e are they too easy to remove? skeptical since someone stole my world space antenna from the terrace)

1) Monkeys moving the dish - depends on how much the dish is disturbing the monkeys.

2) Thieves stealing WorldSpace receiver, and therefore probably DTH dish too - possible, if all the wall breaking, and hammering that they have to go through is not enough to wake people around.

In short, the dish is installed very well, it's hard to remove, tough (not completely impossible) to move.

Back