Audio Need earphones(in-ears) budget 3-4k

Hello friends,

I am looking for a good set of in-ears to pair up with my next mobile

Recently I broke my 6k sennheiser IEMS and bought the SM PL21s but they dont fit my ears so sound horrible(no bass)

I dont want to spend much on new ones so budget is around 3k and may extend upto 4k max

options I have rounded

Klipsch S4

Sennheiser CX-300 II

If you have any other options please suggest

I haven't really heard the S4, but I have heard the CX-300 II. So cannot really provide you with a comparison.

At default, the CX300 II's bass sounded a bit muddy, and more critically, the bass eclipses the mid-range. However after putting in some equalization (lowered the bass and upped the mids), I found it more to my taste. After equilization, the bass isn't muddy, although it lost some of its thump. But the mids are surprisingly clear after equalization.

At the pricepoint I had got it (~800 or 1000), it's very good bang for the buck. If the price hasn't changed much, then I don't think you'll regret buying the CX-300 II.

Thnaks alpha for suggestion

I have ruled out the klipsch s4s because of the angled ear bud which doesn't fit my ears to provide sufficient isolation

I liked the M2 but you have mention the price of 3400, but pristine is selling them at 4.6k any other source where I can find them at your price

I also cannot consider the M3 because of the unusual shape

So that leaves me with M1, which I am considering

Under <4k Brainwavz M3 is a good option and imo better than S4,Cx-300 series.

If you can up your budget by 1k then look into RE-Zero which is the best in this range but I guess that woud be too much anyways.

p>S:Also before going for a new iem try getting the T-500 comfy tips which might help solve the problem of a good seal.Also try some other types such as bi,tri flanges.

@aakashdave11: Thanks for reply...

As I already mentioned the I cannot consider M3s because of unusual shape

Any inears having other than normal(staright) ear bud dont fit my ears

with 4k already I am already streching my budget by 1k so I cannot consider re zero

I am considering the M2 and M1 but if M2s are not available at3.4k I will have to settle with M1

@aakashdave11: Thanks for reply...

As I already mentioned the I cannot consider M3s because of unusual shape

Any inears having other than normal(staright) ear bud dont fit my ears

with 4k already I am already streching my budget by 1k so I cannot consider re zero

I am considering the M2 and M1 but if M2s are not available at3.4k I will have to settle with M1

Crap I did not know that the BRAINWAVZ M2 price got hiked so high.

On a secondary note, I had a short run with Faheem's BRAINWAVZ M3, although they look weird in the pictures, they are actually a pretty snug fit.

The M1 is a good representative of the understated IEM --> detailing of the instruments is good [compared to my previous PL 30], Bass is a good enough for me [not for the guys who like THUMP... THUMP... THUMP... class Bass], highs and vocals are the best represented class and Treble is not lost.

I use them at stock settings on my RockBOX Clip+. Average volume while listening ~ -25dB <-- -45dB depending how quite things are outside.

Music I listen too --> generally Hardcore, Rock, Alternative metal, Folk Metal and Punk. Occasional instrumental tracks [Orchestral pieces] and Hindi Indian and a lonely podcast on occasions.

The M3 builds on the M1's sound stage, while the M2 caters to the bass-head audience.

Hope this explains, Cheers!!

Thanks for reply.... I had owned the previous version of CX-300, and where did you find them at 800-1000, there current price is 2500

I had got the CX300-II about 1.5 to 2 yrs ago. The "Hot Deals" section had a post about 'aajkacatch.com' offering this in 'Eco' packing (All cardboard/paper packing) for about 800 or 1000. I had grabbed it as an impulse buy. I later realized that Sennheisers are probably amongst the most faked items. I did a check on the web for pointers on the CX-300 II fakes, but apparently mine had none of the tell-tale signs. So it was either the original stuff, or an extended production run (This is where the Chinese manufacturer produces, say 1000 pieces for an order of 800, and sells the 200 itself on the market).

At the current price (2500 as you've mentioned), while the CX-3000 II is not bad buy, I'd also suggest having a looking at the options for the same pricerange.

You didn't mention the sound signature you are looking for. If you aren't much of a basshead, I'd suggest a good look at SoundMagic PL-50, which should be around the same pricerange. It's somewhat bass-shy, but has amazing mids. If you listen to lot of vocals, then you should definitely give the PL-50 a hard look.

I have no idea about PL21, whether it has a bass similar to PL11 or PL30. If it's close to PL30, then Brainwavz M1 should be a decent upgrade for you all around. If it was close to PL11, then I think there was an issue with your fit. Did you try all the tips (including foam tips as suggested) and/or wearing it over the ears to see if the fit improved?

You can also consider the SoundMagic E10 / E30 instead of the old PL series. They are supposed to be better.

I have no idea about PL21, whether it has a bass similar to PL11 or PL30. If it's close to PL30, then Brainwavz M1 should be a decent upgrade for you all around. If it was close to PL11, then I think there was an issue with your fit. Did you try all the tips (including foam tips as suggested) and/or wearing it over the ears to see if the fit improved?

The bass on the PL 21 was very good, compared to them the PL 30 fall flat and even the M1 lack their punch [in my opinion].

As for its comparison against the PL 11, I will say the PL 11 has a boomy kind of bass [not as bad as the Creative EP 630], the bass on the PL 21 was much better in detailing and felt just right. Listening to Lamb of God and other drum heavy songs never got better till I got myself a BRAINWAVZ M1, but they lack the punch that the PL 21 delivered.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

rejecting klipsh s4 for bad angle?! it is one of the most comfortable hp you can get, you can check amazon/cnet reviews, isolation is good too, I had old sennheiser cx-300, I always feel senn products are over-hyped
<
and most senn product are natural sounding, I don't know if that is your preference, natural = flat = boring. If it is first upgrade, don't go for senn, go for some proven one

I had got the CX300-II about 1.5 to 2 yrs ago. The "Hot Deals" section had a post about 'aajkacatch.com' offering this in 'Eco' packing (All cardboard/paper packing) for about 800 or 1000. I had grabbed it as an impulse buy. I later realized that Sennheisers are probably amongst the most faked items. I did a check on the web for pointers on the CX-300 II fakes, but apparently mine had none of the tell-tale signs. So it was either the original stuff, or an extended production run (This is where the Chinese manufacturer produces, say 1000 pieces for an order of 800, and sells the 200 itself on the market).

At the current price (2500 as you've mentioned), while the CX-3000 II is not bad buy, I'd also suggest having a looking at the options for the same pricerange.

You didn't mention the sound signature you are looking for. If you aren't much of a basshead, I'd suggest a good look at SoundMagic PL-50, which should be around the same pricerange. It's somewhat bass-shy, but has amazing mids. If you listen to lot of vocals, then you should definitely give the PL-50 a hard look.

Thanks for reply again...

While for my sound signature, I like sound a little bit on heavy side(bass), but the treble should also be clear and not piercing, the sound stage if not very wide also should not be totally narrow like sound in your head

I am sorry but I think the cx300s you got might be counterfiet

You can also consider the SoundMagic E10 / E30 instead of the old PL series. They are supposed to be better.

Pl21s have very good bass, and as you rightly said the issue is fitting, they dont snugly fit my ear to get a tight seal to get the bass

While SM produces some good IEM, I will not buy another one because of the quailty(of cable, ear tips etc) is not that upto mark

The bass on the PL 21 was very good, compared to them the PL 30 fall flat and even the M1 lack their punch [in my opinion].

As for its comparison against the PL 11, I will say the PL 11 has a boomy kind of bass [not as bad as the Creative EP 630], the bass on the PL 21 was much better in detailing and felt just right. Listening to Lamb of God and other drum heavy songs never got better till I got myself a BRAINWAVZ M1, but they lack the punch that the PL 21 delivered.

Hope this helps, Cheers!!

Till now M1 only seems to be considerable, also alpha can you tell me that the daimeter of the ear tip of your M1(circled red in the pic), is normal such that the flange tips of normal iems fit onto it

The problem is the size the eartip on PL21 is small so other flange tips do not fit on to it

The pic

rejecting klipsh s4 for bad angle?! it is one of the most comfortable hp you can get, you can check amazon/cnet reviews, isolation is good too, I had old sennheiser cx-300, I always feel senn products are over-hyped
<
and most senn product are natural sounding, I don't know if that is your preference, natural = flat = boring. If it is first upgrade, don't go for senn, go for some proven one

I know the S4s are best and cnet editors choice but just cant take risk of spending that big amount knowing the uncertainity of the fit(especially after the PL21s)

Yep I agree flat=boring, my last sennheiser IEM(which I broke) were flat, but crystal clear, they were my second IEMs, and I truly like sennheisers

also alpha can you tell me that the daimeter of the ear tip of your M1(circled red in the pic), is normal such that the flange tips of normal iems fit onto it

The problem is the size the eartip on PL21 is small so other flange tips do not fit on to it

Although directed to Alpha, for the nozzle size, you can check out Joker's thread. Both PL21 and M1 have the same nozzle size of 5.5mm. You can stretch Sony hybrids over them (original / fake ones from LostEarBuds). IME, 5mm and 5.5mm are the easiest to try after market tips on.

If you don't mind me asking - are you wearing them over the ears and pulling out top of the ear to let them in? Looks to me they are somewhat similar to PL30, which were very comfortable when I tried them. Is the fit issue due to them straining your outer ear or is it due to not getting a seal? In the second case, which size tips are you using? Large or Medium?

Thanks for reply again...

While for my sound signature, I like sound a little bit on heavy side(bass), but the treble should also be clear and not piercing, the sound stage if not very wide also should not be totally narrow like sound in your head

From the Soundstage you require, I think the BRAINWAVZ M2 will be more to your liking, try to get it shipped direct from MP4nation. The M1 although well rounded lacks the heaviness of the bass [the detailing is good albeit initially a bit muddled], treble is nice and clear and highs are well represented. The sound-stage is the best I have experienced but with nothing higher in comparison [in my experience] I cannot accurately gauge it against other offerings.

Pl21s have very good bass, and as you rightly said the issue is fitting, they dont snugly fit my ear to get a tight seal to get the bass

While SM produces some good IEM, I will not buy another one because of the quailty(of cable, ear tips etc) is not that upto mark

The BRAINWAVZ will rarely sit flush in your ear, maybe different tips will give you a taste of what is best for you -->

Best isolation --> foam tips [at the expense of a slightly muffled audio output],

Best sound --> Bi-flanges, I use these for daily, initially very cumbersome now I am used to them and they provide decent isolation,

Best compromise --> Silicone tips [for most audiences although for me bi-flanges rule the roost].

For fittings do give a shot at the new SoundMAGIC line-up --> EH10, in this department I will rate SoundMAGIC in-ears better than the BRAINWAVZ, also they can be worn over the ear.

The quality of cables is one thing I agree on, not the best out there but I have seen worse [I lost my PL 30 after ~6 months of service because the left ear contact went loose], never got an RMA so appropriated the BRAINWAVZ M1 as a replacement. The build quality is far superior, cable and the jack but micro-phonics will kill you, so beware of constant rubbing [of the cable against clothing] and due to this collection of static charge [which will sound like a whine whilst listening to audio].

Till now M1 only seems to be considerable, also alpha can you tell me that the daimeter of the ear tip of your M1(circled red in the pic), is normal such that the flange tips of normal iems fit onto it

The pic

The diameter of the ear-tip of the M1 is ~6mm, I did not use an accurate gauge [normal 6-inch ruler]
<
. It is comparable to most common ear-tip sizes and can sport a multitude of third party tips, including those bundled with the EP 630
[will check].

Hope this helped, Cheers!!

P.S. --> please note when I got the M1 and the PL 30, before the burn in period [~75 hours in both cases] and associated time spent with the new sound signature, they both sounded worse of the mark than your standard EP 630 and the PL 21 I bought for my friend as a gift.

If you don't mind me asking - are you wearing them over the ears and pulling out top of the ear to let them in? Looks to me they are somewhat similar to PL30, which were very comfortable when I tried them. Is the fit issue due to them straining your outer ear or is it due to not getting a seal?

Morning Sire,

I realized that the PL 21 was better worn down like the BRAINWAVZ than the PL 30, which had a much better over the ear fit.

Hope this helped, Cheers!!

P.S. --> please note when I got the M1 and the PL 30, before the burn in period [~75 hours in both cases] and associated time spent with the new sound signature, they both sounded worse of the mark than your standard EP 630 and the PL 21 I bought for my friend as a gift.

Morning Sire,

I realized that the PL 21 was better worn down like the BRAINWAVZ than the PL 30, which had a much better over the ear fit.

Thanks Alpha you have been very helpful lately, if you can please check if the earbuds of EP630 fit over the nozzle of M1s

I am also considerring the pro-alpha after looking at this thread

Although directed to Alpha, for the nozzle size, you can check out Joker's thread. Both PL21 and M1 have the same nozzle size of 5.5mm. You can stretch Sony hybrids over them (original / fake ones from LostEarBuds). IME, 5mm and 5.5mm are the easiest to try after market tips on.

If you don't mind me asking - are you wearing them over the ears and pulling out top of the ear to let them in? Looks to me they are somewhat similar to PL30, which were very comfortable when I tried them. Is the fit issue due to them straining your outer ear or is it due to not getting a seal? In the second case, which size tips are you using? Large or Medium?

Thanks for the reply, the thread you mentioned is really good for comparision

Back