Budget 41-50k Need gaming CPU under 50k | Ryzen build

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have similar requirements. Just want to know if Ryzen 1600 is better call or I go with Ryzen 2400G?[DOUBLEPOST=1522683061][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have similar requirements. Just want to know if Ryzen 1600 is better call or I go with Ryzen 2400G?

Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have similar requirements. Just want to know if Ryzen 1600 is better call or I go with Ryzen 2400G?[DOUBLEPOST=1522683061][/DOUBLEPOST]Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I have similar requirements. Just want to know if Ryzen 1600 is better call or I go with Ryzen 2400G?

If you are adding a dedicated GPU like a 1060/ 1050Ti go for the Ryzen 1600. If you don't have or plan to add a GPU then get the 2200G. It's not worth investing in a 2400G.

As advised in earlier post, if you are buying a dedicated GC like 1050 and above then 1600. However, if you are in gaming in lower res and will not be buying gc in future than 2400 may be helpful. If you are doing video / photo editing, than its really 1600 + atleast 1050 ti - you will benefit for additional cores and the fact that the L3 cache in 1600 is significantly higher than 2400.

So vomes down to what you want.

GPU prices have started to come down in the US. Check Newegg and Amazon US. Wait for a month or two for the prices to fall in India too. Just for your reference, let me give you the prices of GPUs as they were before the mining craze:

GTX 1050ti 4GB - Zotac - ~11000
GTX 1060 3GB - Zotac mini/AMP - 17000/19000. One time, I even saw a mini for sale for 13k on Amazon in a lightning deal!
GTX 1060 6GB - Zotac mini/AMP - 23000/25000 - In an ideal world they should be around 19000/21000
RX 480 8GB - 20000 is the cheapest I saw back in Feb 2017
RX 470 - 4GB - 17000 is the cheapest I saw back in Feb 2017
GTX 1070 - Zotac mini/AMP/extreme AMP - 35000/38000/40000 or so

Above are the prices that were "normal" a year back. If one has to buy them today, they should be 10% cheaper given that the electronics usually drop prices as time goes by. However, around May last year, this whole crypto craze swept the GPUs off the market forcing us to spend exorbitant amount of money. I bought my mini 1060 6GB for 23k in Sep 2017 when the GPU prices fell down. Around Oct or Nov 2017, RAM prices increased and crypto craze increased again, due to which GPU prices have again increased so much.

I want to sell my 1060 to make money off of it or break even, but my idealism is not letting me to. :p
What was the price of GTX 1080 before the mining craze ?

As advised in earlier post, if you are buying a dedicated GC like 1050 and above then 1600. However, if you are in gaming in lower res and will not be buying gc in future than 2400 may be helpful. If you are doing video / photo editing, than its really 1600 + atleast 1050 ti - you will benefit for additional cores and the fact that the L3 cache in 1600 is significantly higher than 2400.

So vomes down to what you want.

No, I don't want to spend anything on dedicated GC as gaming is not my primary objective. System would be mostly used for office work, music, HD movies or some small games for kids.
So 1600 is out of picture, but now confused between 2400G and 2200G

No, I don't want to spend anything on dedicated GC as gaming is not my primary objective. System would be mostly used for office work, music, HD movies or some small games for kids.
on a pure Value for Money, the winner in 2200 by a big margin - you can also play new games in 1080p in low to medium settings.

However, I personally believe that Vega 11 architecture in 2400 could do better with driver optimization and 2400 may outshine for its current markup price. With a proper RAM, it can outshine in future. So if you do not plan to change the change the system for say 3 - 4 years, then you may gamble on 2400 - currently it is not significantly better and you are better off with 2200

Go with 2200g , 3 years later you can upgrade to a newer gen ryzen apu or add a budget discreet gpu and get much better performance instead of spending extra money now on 2400g

Better spend that 3k on a 120 gb ssd instead , it will give you much better real world overall performance

Last edited:
What was the price of GTX 1080 before the mining craze ?
I think it was between 50 and 60 depending on the brand and model. 1080ti was like 62 and above, I think. But take these prices of 1080/ti with a pinch of salt, because they were never really under my radar and therefore, I only took fleeting glimpses on them in the past.

Let me break the differences down for you:
1) 4C/4T vs. 4C/8T
2) Vega 11 vs. Vega 8
3) different graphics power
4) SAME L2/L3 cache

Points 2 and 3 are irrelevant for you. Point 1 is the only differentiator in your case. Answer these questions to decide between the two:
1) How long do you want to keep this system?
2) What are the rest of your system specs?
3) What is the price difference between the 2 CPUs
4) What are the applications you want to use? To put it in a different way, will your apps use 8 threads? Will your average (not maximum, average) workload be using more than 4 threads?
5) If you are willing to pay the difference to get a 2400G, will spending it towards maybe an SSD will give you greater benefits?

Also, whichever CPU you choose, just make sure that you are using 2 sticks of RAM to run them in DC. Ryzen APUs differ greatly in performance based on the RAM running in single channel vs. dual channel

Let me break the differences down for you:
1) 4C/4T vs. 4C/8T
2) Vega 11 vs. Vega 8
3) different graphics power
4) SAME L2/L3 cache

Points 2 and 3 are irrelevant for you. Point 1 is the only differentiator in your case. Answer these questions to decide between the two:
4) What are the applications you want to use? To put it in a different way, will your apps use 8 threads? Will your average (not maximum, average) workload be using more than 4 threads?
5) If you are willing to pay the difference to get a 2400G, will spending it towards maybe an SSD will give you greater benefits?

Also, whichever CPU you choose, just make sure that you are using 2 sticks of RAM to run them in DC. Ryzen APUs differ greatly in performance based on the RAM running in single channel vs. dual channel

No less than 5 years, may be more as it is used for home, so no office work. Kids are also small so no fancy games as well. For office work, I have laptop. I just connect my laptop to desktop for backup once in a week. You will be surprise that I still have my p4 which is still serving that purpose but sometimes it refused to start up and very slow, hence I want new desktop.

Already have disks (2TB and 500GB), keyboard, mouse, dvd writer. Still confused whether to go with 2x4GB or 2x8GB RAM

Usual applications like AV, media players, office suite. I may deploy some VMs on vmplayer for my study purpose but number of VMs should not exceed (online) 2-3 at a time. That's why I will was thinking 2x8GB RAM. I think more threads will also help there.

Not sure adding SSD will add much benefits as I will be using that system only on weekends for some hours. During weekdays it would be just used by kids for music and movies. SSD will help in boot time and application loading but I will not be running any heavy apps. Not sure if placing VM on it will help in their performance.

A) Now there are 2 people hijacking this thread
B) Office tasks and running VMs are totally different. Please open a new thread
C) Please, always open a new thread especially when the use cases are different than those of OP's

Back