Budget 0-20k Need GPU for dual display workstation

Haste

Proxy Warrior
Adept
I need to buy GPU which can drive 2x wide displays 2560 * 1440 resolutions over dvi or hdmi for my work computer (no gaming)
Can anybody suggest me the cheapest graphics card (preferably available online) which can do the same.
I have pcie 2.0 x16 slot on my motherboard which had Radeon 6850 on it capable of doing the same. However it recently died, and looking for replacement.

GT710 can do triple monitor (Hdmi, dvi and vga)
But if your system is too old, there may be some issues.

I tried with Pentium E2160 and C2D 8400. 2-3 times a day, screen goes black and come back after few seconds. Tried all the troubleshooting possible and RMAed, it's pretty much the same. I lived with it for two years.
If your's is old, you can try old card like GT210 for sub 1k from used market.

Main thing is the resolution. I have a GT610 @2GB, but it does not show 2560 resolution over hdmi

Official website says Max digital resolution is 2560x1600. Upto my knowledge HDMI is digital. But in nvidia forum I see the following. If you have dual link dvi cable, try and see if you can get 2k resolution.

GT610 max resolutions:

Maximum DVI resolution: 2560 x 1600
Maximum HDMI resolution: 1920 x 1200
Maximum VGA resolution: 2048 x 1536

Some tried custom resolution in nvidia control panel, that worked for them using HDMI. Try that as well.

Last edited:
Yeah one monitor is working in 2k in DVI, other is not on HDMI.
Will try and see custom resolution
BTW do you know if GT710 has any such similar limitations?

You need a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 support to be able to do 2560x1440@60Hz. The cheapest card that can guarantee do that is GT 730 with GDDR5. There are some really old versions of GT 710 that can't do it. Same with DDR3 versions of the 730. If you can't find a GT 730, look for a GT 1030. This is a newer gen card but is more expensive.

BTW do you know if GT710 has any such similar limitations?
In specification it says 4k @ 60hz supported over HDMI and DP. Since here it clearly says HDMI, I hope it will work. The card I have doesn't have DP port (HDMI, DVI, VGA), and don't know if it's HDMI 2.0 or 1.4. There is no clear mentioning of that in the card.
Since I had 1080p and 900p monitor, I haven't tried 4k resolution or 2k for that matter. I wasn't aware of custom resolution back then, so haven't tried that.

You need a GPU that has HDMI 2.0 support to be able to do 2560x1440@60Hz. The cheapest card that can guarantee do that is GT 730 with GDDR5. There are some really old versions of GT 710 that can't do it. Same with DDR3 versions of the 730. If you can't find a GT 730, look for a GT 1030. This is a newer gen card but is more expensive.

Thanks for the info.

Back