Need help buying a wifi router.

Bipin Darole

Recruit
Hi,

I want to buy a wifi router.
Let me tell you my specifications and then you guys can suggest me.

1. I have a a 1mbps broadband connection
2. 2BHK home(approx 1000 sq ft)
3. Use nexus 4 and Karbon A21 smart phones
4. Wifi should remain ON 25X7
5. Wifi should be connected even if computer is switched off (is this possible ???)
6. Budget: 2k to 3K max

Please help me out here by suggesting the best option for me.

Thanks in advance.

ASUS RT-N13U B1 is the best bang for your money. Check on Flipkart, was available for about 2K.

Side note : I have the same router (as do many of the chaps here too ;) ) and I run it 24x7 all the time. It is only switched off if there is a power cut OR routine cleaning. Else, it remains ON for about 2-3 months at a time.

Also, I have flashed it with DD-WRT which I find extremely stable.

If you want a cheaper router, but does N150 only (the ASUS does WiFi - N300) you could look at cheaper options from TP-Link, but just a big word of caution, the after sales service is really pathetic.

And yes, with a WiFi router, you can get the Net ON 24x7 - you will need to configure the computer to connect to the router than directly from the ISP.

Eyes closed - Asus N13 B1
Very stable & you can run 25 * 7 :)
Just dont use as WiFi router, Use it as downloader... then its worth its price.

Netgear is good mate - but JNWR2000 model does not have DD-WRT support AFAIK. And its when you use WRT and you look at the Netgear interface, you realise how much stuff is missing.

1 silly question..

My broadband connection requires a username and password.
so is there a place where i can enter the username and password to configure the wifi ?

that would be in your default gateway, or the router's page. it is usually 192.168.1.1, or 192.168.0.1. it may be different too at times. the router's manual should have a mention about it. otherwise, you can just go to the command prompt, by going to start menu>>run>>type cmd & press enter>>type ipconfig & press enter. the IP address beside the default gateway name will be your router's IP address. you can enter that page through any browser, and it will ask you your username and password. it is usually admin for both the fields.

These flipkart guys r strange... Some of my shipments were delivered in a days time... But my router is still not.. The tracking I'd shows that its in my area hub so since yesterday.. But when I called them today they said it will get delivered 2moro.. When I asked them for the address of the hub they said they do not have it.. Man these flipkart guys r strange... At least they should have some priority service for their regular customers like me... Anyway the only good reason I can think of is its diwali season so there must be a lot of work for them.. Anyway hoping to get it 2moro now... :):)

HI guys, My router has arrived. But now I am facing trouble configuring it.
Please help!!

Ill tell you what I did

1. Clicked on WAN
2. selected PPPoE
3. Entered username and password
4. Entered service name
5. Clicked Apply button.

Its giving me the following error.

Anything that I am doing wrong or anything that I am missing??

Please see screenshots

1.PNG

2.PNG

1.PNG
2.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

I think you forgot to enter the MAC address of your exisiting modem/router assuming it is a Ethernet cable which plugs in directly to the N13 router

If you have a cable (black) wire OR a ADSL connection, you need to set the N13 in DHCP/Automatic mode.

Back