Need help buying a wifi router.

I do use cable Internet, and in my area we need to give them mac address printed on router box and then they will add that Mac address to our account then only I am able to use net... It hardly take half hour, just contact them...
Thanks yaar..
This is a relief.. I'll get it done as soon as I go home.. M in office now..
Thanks again for the quick reply :)[DOUBLEPOST=1382595164][/DOUBLEPOST]Tha
I do use cable Internet, and in my area we need to give them mac address printed on router box and then they will add that Mac address to our account then only I am able to use net... It hardly take half hour, just contact them...
Thanks for the quick reply buddy.. I'll do the Mac address thing n get back to u guys :)

Just get the MAC address from the existing router/PC and put in the "Special Requirment from ISP" settings. I am surprised that you forgot to do this since its part of RADIUS - AAA.[DOUBLEPOST=1382598222][/DOUBLEPOST]OR - just contact them and tell them to change the MAC address in the account. They can see what MAC you are using and will use that. Just remember to do that in the future.

Guys.. Sorry for the late reply.. Had a family function over the weekend..

Anyway I called my cable operator and told him everything.. He said it would cost 400 rs.. I was like wtf... 400 for just a simple setting.. I then told him I have done everything n all he needs to do is update my Mac address from where every he gets the net connection from... He still wanted 400 rs.. He only agreed to do the settings when I threatened to stop his cable n move to another...

Well 1 hr later all was setup n running just fine...

I would like to thank each n every1 of you for sticking around this entire journey.. It really gave me the confidence to do stuff...

Thanks again :) :)

You can add as much as Mac address you want, all simply told them to blind Mac for your account so no need to worry if you buy new router..

Its a common tactic here too - my neighbour paid up 500 for the same plus they overcharged for the router as well.

Usually, when making a PPPoE connection - you need the foll : username, password, MAC address and service name.

I just bought the router and got it delivered today
I was initially trying to set u p the asus router in repeater mode with my main tp link wr740n as primary router
But I get frequent disconnections
I have upgraded the asus firmare to 2.2.05 beta
I intially for 15-20 days would like to keep router on asus firmware and would then install ddwrt ....plz help

Also how can I check how the repeater signal is? As in how is the speed and all ...(when I connect to internet over know whether I am connecting to main router or repeater)

@sitanshu I would suggest to use the N13 as your primary router - and if you face issues, get it RMAed. Another chap had issues with frequent dropouts - I think the adapter was faulty. Brand new piece from Flipkart.

Repeater range - check with any WiFi app on your phone. I use WiFi Analyzer.

Hey vivek thnx for ur quick reply and helping me
I just wanted to ask how can I know whether my device is connected to main router or repeater
Lso how cn I check bout dropout from repeater
Sorry m noob ....
Thnx

Check the WiFi network you are connected to. As far as dropouts, if you lose WiFi connectivity, the repeater is not working properly. If you lose net connectivity, the link between the repeater and primary is an issue.

Back