Budget 0-20k Need help buying an good CPU Unit

tekxtinct

Recruit
Hello everyone,

I wish to upgrade my very old CPU unit with a good work. It is to be used for normal daily work (internet, chatting, mild gaming). I have selected the Intel G620 Sandy Bridge 2.6Ghz processor for the same. I do not wish to add any GPU for the time being. Nor I wish any MoBo with USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0 gb/s support and all.

Please suggest a good motherboard, in the same price range as of the processor for me. I have one in mind - Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H. Kindly suggest me mainly for the Motherboard. I have chosen Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz RAM for this and a 350W PSU.

Thanks!

@tekxtinct, please fill up this template [appropriately] and put forth your query, it will help us give you better suggestions.

Also you are new on TE, so welcome aboard and hope you have a nice experience, Cheerio!!

Last edited by a moderator:
@tekxtinct, please fill up this template [appropriately] and put forth your query, it will help us give you better suggestions.

Also you are new on TE, so welcome aboard and hope you have a nice experience, Cheerio!!

As you wish.
Q: What is your budget?
A: 0-20K

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
A: It is a preassembled CPU config from HCL around 6-7 years old. I do not know of very explicit details as such. However, What I know is given below:
CPU - Intel Pentium 4, 2.36 Ghz
Motherboard - Asus P4GE-MX
GPU - nVIDIA Geforce FX 5500 (AGP, 8x)
RAM - Transcend 2X512 MB 333Mhz
Monitor - LG Flatron W1943C
SMPS - Not Known
(please mention the rest in above format)

Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Dell 2409
SMPS - If the earlier works fine, I would not require it to change

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - Intel G620 Sandy Bridge (2.6 Ghz)
Motherboard - any compatible good motherboard (in similar price range)
GPU - As for now, Onboard graphics shall be sufficient. (I have picked Gigabyte GA-H61M-D2H MoBo)
RAM - Corsair 4GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
As for now, No plans of upgrade in near 1 or 2 years. I do not need any support for USB 3.0 and all.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Kolkata, Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
A: No

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
A: Browsing, Mild Gaming, Few not very PC intensive software tasks. Everyday rup up atleast 5 hours.

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
A:Do not want to buy AMD company product.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Strategy - Civilization 4 (it runs at current config too)
Racing - Grid at medium to high settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1024*720 and all.
Desktop - 1360x768

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Possible, but not necessary

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit/32 bit

Q: What is your budget?
8-10 k (Just for Motherboard, Processor, RAM)

Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

CPU - Intel Pentium 4 (2.6 ghz)
Motherboard - Asus P4GE-MX

GPU - nVidia Geforce FX 5500 (256 MB)

RAM - Transcend 2X512 MB 333 Mhz

Monitor - LG W1943C
SMPS -Don't know

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

CPU - Intel G620 Sandy Bridge
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard (in similar price range.. Basically a value for money) No USB 3.0 or SATA 6.0 GB/s required.

GPU - Onboard shall be sufficient.

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

No plans as for now.

Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

Kolkata, WB
Open to online purchase

Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

NO, as for now

Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

Mild Gaming
Browsing
Downloading, 5-6 hours operation
Watching HD movies (occasionally)

Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

Do not want to buy AMD company product.

Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

Strategy - Civilization 4
Racing - Grid at medium to low settings

Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
any low to medium settings.

Q: Are you looking to overclock?
No, but open to it.

Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64bit/32 bit and or Windows XP

@tekxtinct

Why are you not interested in buying AMD processors?
The IGP bundled with an AMD APU can easily put Intel's latest and greatest HD 4000 IGP to shame.

Will you add a graphics card to this RIG later OR not?
If you are ready to invest in a graphics card ~2 -->3 months down the line, the Intel G620 setup is fine; else I strongly recommend that you go for the Llano setup.

These are my suggestions --

Intel RIG --
Intel Core i3 2120 ~6900/- [great CPU performance set-back by an equally incompetent IGP unit]
ASUS P8H61-M LX ~3800/-
Corsair ValueRAM 4GB x2 ~2500/-

AMD RIG --
AMD A6-3650 ~6500/- [decent CPU performance; though very poor compared to a Core i3, very strong IGP, will play most current generation AAA-titles at low-medium settings @1080p resolution]
GIGABYTE GA-A55M-S2V ~3500/-
Corsair Vengeance OR G.Skill RIPJAWS 4GB x2 ~3500/-

Hope this helps, Cheerio!!

Since, I will not be using this PC (I have to stay away from home now for 4 years due my Engineering course at IIT G), I shall prefer onboard only. As far as AMD is concerned, If it doesn't gives any driver and other hassle, I am open to get it.
Is there any comparison of the two processors available? Thanks.

---------- Post added at 02:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

Also, If you just reduce a budget a bit.

As far as AMD is concerned, If it doesn't gives any driver and other hassle, I am open to get it.
Is there any comparison of the two processors available?

Also, If you just reduce a budget a bit.

I don't know why people have a false impression that AMD drivers are tardy, they are not infact Intel's graphics driver was coded by a guy in his spare time and half of its GPGPU functionality [Intel Quicksync HD majorly] was exploited thanks to this.

Here is a benchmark run of the two processors and a few reviews -- AMD A6-3650 Llano APU Review / AMD A6-3650 2.6GHz Llano APU Review - AMD A6-3650 APU Processor Review - Legit Reviews Intel Core i3-2120 & Core i5-2400 LGA1155 Processors Review.

If you want to reduce the cost on the AMD APU RIG, go for the --
AMD A6-3500 ~5000/- [be warned, a heavy price will be paid in terms of further CPU performance depreciation; IGP performance will also plummet but, not to the levels of Intel HD 3000 levels]

Also congratulations in getting into an IIT, was the stream of your choice available to you?

Please see this comparison of these these motherboards. What do you suggest?

---------- Post added at 03:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Also, Using Intel G620 would further cause a reduction in the total cost incurred. I have to build this for my family only. (Only papa and sister are ought to use it)
As for IIT is concerned, I was most crazy about thought of getting into IITs. I prepared well, but light bulb went off in the second paper.. So, though not a decent score but managed to get IIT Guwahati (Although I was getting CSE/ME at NIT Trichy or Warangal).

---------- Post added at 03:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:21 PM ----------

Secondly, here, G620 figures better in most of the cases compared to its price. Please give it a thought too. Else suggest a motherboard for Intel's processor only.

Also, Using Intel G620 would further cause a reduction in the total cost incurred. I have to build this for my family only. (Only papa and sister are ought to use it)
As for IIT is concerned, I was most crazy about thought of getting into IITs. I prepared well, but light bulb went off in the second paper.. So, though not a decent score but managed to get IIT Guwahati (Although I was getting CSE/ME at NIT Trichy or Warangal).

Go for the Pentium G620 + ASUS / ASRock motherboard in that comparison; I am cautioning you that you will not be able any games on this [not even Civilization OR G.R.I.D.] setup until you add a decent graphics card, for ordinary day-to-day usage it should do fine.

The overall usability of the AMD RIG will be similar + you can play the games you wish [when you come back on leave].

Okay, I am not an Engineering graduate, so I wish you best of luck and have a great time. Cheerio!!

Thanks. But as you might guess, my old mobo supported ATA HDD, so currently I have that one only (Seagate ATA 160 GB 7200 RPM). Since, newer HDDs are costing more these days, what should I do? Get an adapter? If yes, how much will it cost? or if no, What are the alternatives?

But as you might guess, my old mobo supported ATA HDD, so currently I have that one only (Seagate ATA 160 GB 7200 RPM). Since, newer HDDs are costing more these days, what should I do? Get an adapter?

You mean you have this kind of hard-drive -- Parallel ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Yes the adapter will be a viable option, it depends where you want to get it from, you might get local Chinese made adapters for as low ~150/- -->200/- quid.

Here is a ebay page with a plethora of them.

Back