Need Help for getting into programming

hrishi

Disciple
Hi,

I am confused about how to forward myself into programming field as a career.

I have basic knowledge of C++, PHP and Java.

I have done a year Diploma in IT after 10+2 , in which I learned about C# ,Microsoft's .NET platform ,and SQL Server 2005.

In the meanwhile I have also kept myself indulged in learning networking concepts and I am planning to finish CCNA certification before my graduation .

I can create small to average ,databse driven GUI and Web-Application using C# ,SQL server .

I have created couple of snippets using .PHP and MYSQL on my own.

However I never had enough practice on any of the languages , its just that I kept on learning them all.

Now I want to get myself involved in some average level project , to improve my programming skills.

But I find myself stuck admist the choice of programming language and dev. platform.

I have been used to microsoft based products like AD,VS,.NET , etc. However I heard from people that without a B.TECH or MCA Degree its quite hard to get into Mircosoft development field as career option.

I am going to be a BSc.(IT) graduate in next 1.5 yr, so please suggest, which language and platform would be good...keeping the above facts in Mind and that I should be able to learn them on my own.

(( Also ,Please suggest me some abilities and skills that I should posses for getting into it..like XML,or designing or Database..or networking , or algorithm..or W/sover.)).

Thanks,

Hrishi.

Hi,

I am confused about how to forward myself into programming field as a career.

I have basic knowledge of C++, PHP and Java.

I have done a year Diploma in IT after 10+2 , in which I learned about C# ,Microsoft's .NET platform ,and SQL Server 2005.

In the meanwhile I have also kept myself indulged in learning networking concepts and I am planning to finish CCNA certification before my graduation .

I can create small to average ,databse driven GUI and Web-Application using C# ,SQL server .

I have created couple of snippets using .PHP and MYSQL on my own.

However I never had enough practice on any of the languages , its just that I kept on learning them all.

Now I want to get myself involved in some average level project , to improve my programming skills.

But I find myself stuck admist the choice of programming language and dev. platform.

I have been used to microsoft based products like AD,VS,.NET , etc. However I heard from people that without a B.TECH or MCA Degree its quite hard to get into Mircosoft development field as career option.

I am going to be a BSc.(IT) graduate in next 1.5 yr, so please suggest, which language and platform would be good...keeping the above facts in Mind and that I should be able to learn them on my own.

(( Also ,Please suggest me some abilities and skills that I should posses for getting into it..like XML,or designing or Database..or networking , or algorithm..or W/sover.)).

Thanks,

Hrishi.

Dude, you need to decide what path you'd like to take (Developer or SysAdmin), and then you need to focus on that path. Right now, you're flailing your arms in all directions.

Unless you're in a small company, System/Network Administration will be a distinctly different role than a Software Developer. So don't waste your time learning both. Choose one and focus.

Network/System Administration roles will have stronger focus on Certifications, and less on academic qualifications. It'll be useful to pick up Unix Shell Scripting, and Perl as these are heavily used in these roles.

Software development roles in most large organizations will require you to have a "base" qualification of Engineering or MCA regardless of the programming language (It's totally another matter that the vast majority of these jobs will not actually have anything remotely connected to Computer Science). So if you want to get into software development, i'd suggest firstly looking to do MCA, or even possibly M.Tech (I believe you should be able to give GATE exam with Bsc.)

Dude, you need to decide what path you'd like to take (Developer or SysAdmin), and then you need to focus on that path. Right now, you're flailing your arms in all directions.

Unless you're in a small company, System/Network Administration will be a distinctly different role than a Software Developer. So don't waste your time learning both. Choose one and focus.

Network/System Administration roles will have stronger focus on Certifications, and less on academic qualifications. It'll be useful to pick up Unix Shell Scripting, and Perl as these are heavily used in these roles.

Software development roles in most large organizations will require you to have a "base" qualification of Engineering or MCA regardless of the programming language (It's totally another matter that the vast majority of these jobs will not actually have anything remotely connected to Computer Science). So if you want to get into software development, i'd suggest firstly looking to do MCA, or even possibly M.Tech (I believe you should be able to give GATE exam with Bsc.)

Thanks Gryphon for your reply , I find your answer highly satisfactory.

I think I should go with core programming rather than system administration , as per my current scenario.And also becuase I am looking forward to add MCA as my academic qualification in future after Bsc.

The problem is that I am pursuing BSc.IT by a correspondence course , So I was wondering if I am eligible for getting admission into any government Colleges for MCA . THough I had Maths at 10+2 level in CBSE.

Rishi.

Back