Budget 31-40k Need help in buying a pc under 40k.

Itsmeakash

Recruit
Hi ppl,
I am new to this forum and this is my first thread.I am planning to buy a pc in a price bracket of 35-40k. This is my first pc. Literally I have no/little knowledge about pc. Kindly help fellas!
1.What is your budget?
35-40k
2.What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
I don't own any pc.this will be my first pc
3.Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
None
4.Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement
Monitor-
hp pavilion 22cw(based on my Google search results.suggest if there is something better)
And I looking for a mid range performance device (like i5,4gb Ram,etc)
5.Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
This will be my final configuration.will be using it for next 4-5 years!
6.Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chennai,(open to online purchase if I could get a good deal)
7.Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market?
No
8.What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Moderate Gaming(not a hard core gamer but will be playing NFS,gta,FIFA,cs,etc),Browsing,Downloading and Watching HD movies,saving files
Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Nothing like that.but I heard components from Asus are not reliable,amd heats a lot,etc.please educate me..confused a lot!
10.If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Racing games like ashpalt,NFS and some statergy games.
11.What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
No idea.all I want is a 22' monitor with good resolution,ips,led(heard them to be good)
12.Are you looking to overclock?
No
13.Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Probably latest versions of Windows and Ubuntu os.(dual boot possible?)
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
Nothing like that.but I heard
components from Asus are not
reliable,amd heats a lot,etc.please
educate me..confused a lot!
lol. Relax it will be fine. No company is perfect and no one knows when or if a product will fail, like really. People on the internet have their own preferences. Some companies may belong to tier-3 or tier-4 but Asus is not one of them.

Last edited:
Budget - 46k

Processor Intel Core i5 4460 11,500
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A 5,500
Memory
Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz 3,300
Graphics Card
Sapphire R7 250 1GB DDR5 7,100
Power Supply
Antec VP500PC 3,300
Cabinet
Cooler Master Elite 311 2,600
Internal Storage
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD 3,500
Monitor
Dell S2216H 22" LED IPS 8,400
KB/Mouse
Logitech Mk200 800.
TOTAL -46,000.

Thanks for your reply guys.to be honestly 46k is out of my budget because this will be my first pc and I will have to buy everything right from computer table to audio speakers to CD drive. I have few queries.
Processor Intel Core i5 4460
If I am not wrong, the processor you mentioned is 4th gen. Won't it be outdated in couple of months since there is already 6 th gen??? Or 4th gen itself is adequate??
Graphics Card Sapphire R7 250 1GB DDR5 7,100
I would like to buy this graphics card but what bothers me its price. Can you tell me about the performance of processor in gaming excluding graphics cards??
Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 311 2,600
Cabinet looks good.1. I searched few cabinets which looks fancy.any such fancy cabinet will suit me???2.upon googling I got to know that
Cooler Master Elite 311plus is available at the same price tag with USB 3.0 support. Your suggestions on this?
Monitor Dell S2216H 22" LED IPS 8,400
Can you tell me which is best among these?
dell s2240l vs dell s2216h vs hp pavilion 22cw
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600MHz 3,300
Regarding RAM some ppl suggest to use two 4gb Ram instead of a single 8 gb.. Can you throw some light on this??
Do computers need a inverter ??is it must??
I am a newbie and started searching for pc from yesterday. My questions may sound dumb! Sorry for my ignorance

If I am not wrong, the processor you mentioned is 4th gen. Won't it be outdated in couple of months since there is already 6 th gen??? Or 4th gen itself is adequate??

With given budget this would be best one can accommodate.

I would like to buy this graphics card but what bothers me its price. Can you tell me about the performance of processor in gaming excluding graphics cards??

IGP performance is abysmal compared to discrete graphics. But a wise choice would be to skip GPU now and save money for 6-8 months to buy one later in summer.

Cabinet looks good.1. I searched few cabinets which looks fancy.any such fancy cabinet will suit me???2.upon googling I got to know that
Cooler Master Elite 311plus is available at the same price tag with USB 3.0 support. Your suggestions on this?

You may go ahead with Plus version.

Can you tell me which is best among these?
dell s2240l vs dell s2216h vs hp pavilion 22cw

HP 22CW for IPS panel v/s Dell's TN Panel

Regarding RAM some ppl suggest to use two 4gb Ram instead of a single 8 gb.. Can you throw some light on this??
If price difference is not much go with 2*4GB.

Do computers need a inverter ??is it must??
If your area is prone to power cuts, an UPS is suggested.

HP 22CW for IPS panel v/s Dell's TN Panel
I googled the difference of both.for gaming tn panel is useful(better frame rate) and for richer colour experience ips is suggested(mainly in photo,video editing). Considering my usage,I won't be editing a video any time soon and at the same time am not a hard core gamer. Having said that, I do play some games occasionally and watch some HD movies and videos. So, can you suggest a thing which is more balanced for both my usage??I have experienced neither of them(ips,tn).
If your area is prone to power cuts, an UPS is suggested.
Yes it is! Suggest some good vfm UPS.

If price difference is not much go with 2*4GB.
I have no idea about RAM price.suggest me if there is something around the price bracket.
And I need suggestions regarding selection of speakers(will be using it while watching movies and videos,occasional gaming)and optical drive. hi-fi is not necessary. but a VFM with good quality is expected.

Last edited:
First of all Haswell is NOT outdated just because we have 6th generation now. 4th gen processors like the one recommended above ie. the i5 4460/i5 4440 still kicks ass!
46k is out of my budget
yes, 46k may be high for a first PC with other accessories. Its understandable, but lets look at your requirements below:
Itsmeakash said:
will be using it for next 4-5 years!
It will depend on what you do with it. AAA games titles will be a different story.
8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware?
Moderate Gaming (not a hard core gamer but will be playing NFS,gta,FIFA,cs,etc), Browsing,Downloading and Watching HD movies,saving files
You will be fine with a fast dual-core like the G3258 which is a Pentium Haswell dualcore for the games listed above except GTA5 which may pose some problem. Check gaming benchmarks/reviews for more. But buying that processor will also save you about 5k-6k. Alternatively you can also get an AMD FX6300. This will have no problem with the number of cores but will be slower. If you get this you'll save about 3k.
10.If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
Racing games like ashpalt,NFS and some statergy games.
Here you haven't mentioned GTA. I would suggest you the G3258 here.
You can save some more money if you stick to a cheaper motherboard, lower graphics card like the R7 250X, get 2nd hand RAM or just 4GB memory, buy a local cabinet which cost 1-1.5k (they are not as bad as some people make it out to be, just don't get one which has too much plastic or which is too small).
You can compromise on some parts as you like.

So, can you suggest a thing which is more balanced for both my usage??
Just get whichever is cheaper.
Suggest some good vfm UPS.
Since budget is an issue you can go for local brand like iBall. I also use it with a basic system right now. Not sure about the long term reliability. I use it with a stabilizer just to be save. I paid 2k for a 600VA model.

I have no idea about RAM price. suggest me if there is something around the price bracket.
check flipkart, snapdeal etc.
And I need suggestions regarding selection of speakers(will be using it while watching movies and videos,occasional gaming)and optical drive.
Speaker: Edifier M1250 something something. I paid 450 bucks for it.
Optical drive: just get any from LG/Samsung/Sony etc etc. It won't matter.
but a VFM with good quality

^kind of contradictory.
Btw I'm sure that a simple google search will answer most of your questions.

@Itsmeakash Dell S2216H is IPS panel and Dell E2216H is TN. You can go with S2216H.

~For UPS, check offerings from CyberPower. You should be good with ~700VA UPS.
~As said above, for Optical drive get any from Samsung/Sony/LG/Asus. Many new builds now skip optical drive.

I am not much aware about entry level speakers. But you should be good to with 2.1 speakers. Check offerings from either Logitech or Edifier.

You can stick to Sunil's build sans GFX card for now and get speakers, UPS and table in that budget. Later save money for 7-8 months and upgrade to graphic cards. By then (second half of 2016) there would be new GFX cards from both Red and Green camps.

First of all Haswell is NOT outdated just because we have 6th generation now. 4th gen processors like the one recommended above ie. the i5 4460/i5 4440 still kicks ass!
OK fine. Based on your suggession I have finalised and will buy these things.
Processor Intel Core i5 4460
Motherboard
Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A (I don't know anything regarding motherboard.will blindly follow your suggession)
Graphics Card
Sapphire R7 250 1GB DDR5
Power Supply
Antec VP500PC
Cabinet
Cooler Master Elite 311 plus
Internal Storage
WD Caviar Blue 1TB HDD
KB/Mouse
Logitech Mk200
Monitor Dell S2216H 22" LED IPS(actually this monitor has got build in speaker. Will it be enough or should I buy a speaker separately?
Optical drive
anything from Samsung,lg.
Now coming to Ram which is good?? A single 8 gb or 2*4 gb?? I don't mind spending a few hundreds if it is worth buying.
Ups suggest the product name? And won't local brand cause any harm in case of any voltage fluctuation?
use it with a stabilizer just to be save.
Couldn't get the point.can you explain in detail?

I forgot to mention something. Getting an LGA1150 socket motherboard will give you the option for an upgrade to a better processor later (if you buy the G3258 then you can get an i5 or i7 example).

Cabinet
Cooler Master Elite 311 plus
How much are you getting this for?
Dell S2216H 22" LED IPS(actually this monitor has got build in speaker. Will it be enough or should I buy a speaker separately?
Separate.
Now coming to Ram which is good?? A single 8 gb or 2*4 gb?? I don't mind spending a few hundreds if it is worth buying.
Either will do. A single stick model are usually cheaper. Get single stick. Save money.
Ups suggest the product name? And won't local brand cause any harm in case of any voltage fluctuation?

Couldn't get the point. Can you explain in detail?

And what non-local brand UPS will you buy? APC? Because they are pricier and you have a budget problem. The stabilizer will help prevent any direct damage to the UPS/PC in case of short circuit or other voltage problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1450281467][/DOUBLEPOST]Just noticed a typo. "Save" should be "safe".

Getting an LGA1150 socket motherboard will give you the option for an upgrade to a better processor later (if you buy the G3258 then you can get an i5 or i7 example).
Nope. Whatever I buy now will be the final or for at least 5 years. So I will stick with i5 processor. And so suggest the motherboard accordingly. Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A or LGA1150?
How much are you getting this for?
The same price.

And what non-local brand UPS will you buy? APC? Because they are pricier and you have a budget problem. The stabilizer will help prevent any direct damage to the UPS/PC in case of short circuit or other voltage problem.
Actually I read that there is a componemt called SMPS box in CPU which will die if the pc shuts unexpectedly many times.in order to avoid that, ups is necessary. Based on that I need a UPS which will save my pc. I am not against local brands. If they are good,I am open to it. There are many misguiding infos in internet stating to avoid local brands. Educate me.
And I can find some good difference between the prices mentioned above and online websites(flipkart,amazon,snapdeal). The latter seems to be higher. Where did you get these prices?

As said above, for Optical drive get any from Samsung/Sony/LG/Asus. Many new builds now skip optical drive.
Yeah, I don't have any reason to buy a DVD drive. But what my friends said is,while buying pc, we need to install some drivers which can be installed only from DVD. Installing from other sources are not authentic/ unauthorized/ pirated. How far is this true?

Your opinion on zebronics micro drum 2.1 speaker?? It costs 650 rs, the cheapest I have seen.

But what my friends said is,while buying pc, we need to install some drivers which can be installed only from DVD. Installing from other sources are not authentic/ unauthorized/ pirated. How far is this true?
You can download drivers off the manufacturer's website. Graphics drivers for example tend to be really old versions on the supplied driver disc.
You might need to download certain essential drivers in advance, like the LAN driver - needed for internet access to download other drivers - and keep it on a pen drive. Although most LAN devices will have generic drivers installed by Windows itself.

You can download drivers off the manufacturer's website. Graphics drivers for example tend to be really old versions on the supplied driver disc.
You might need to download certain essential drivers in advance, like the LAN driver - needed for internet access to download other drivers - and keep it on a pen drive. Although most LAN devices will have generic drivers installed by Windows itself.
So you mean that there won't be any necessary for optical drive right??

"Will" is incorrect. It may or may not die depending on the nature of the problem
I don't want to take a risk here. I will save money to buy a ups. Suggest some good ups.

So I will stick with i5 processor.
cool.
And so suggest the motherboard accordingly. Gigabyte B85M-D3H-A or LGA1150?
That motherboard is an LGA1150 socket motherboard. Think of the socket number ie. LGA1150 as a clothing size number and Gigabyte the clothing brand. There can be different brands making the same size clothing.
Actually I read that there is a componemt called SMPS box in CPU which will die if the pc shuts unexpectedly many times. in order to avoid that, ups is necessary.
"Will" is incorrect. It may or may not die depending on the nature of the problem.
Based on that I need a UPS which will save my pc.
Confirm the other components first before buying the UPS. Buy the UPS last as it will depend on the components used.
I am not against local brands. If they are good,I am open to it. There are many misguiding infos in internet stating to avoid local brands. Educate me.
I'm also not against local brands either. What else will one buy if he has no other option? Your budget is the problem here. What you want doesn't fit your budget well.
And I can find some good difference between the prices mentioned above and online websites(flipkart,amazon,snapdeal). The latter seems to be higher. Where did you get these prices?
dude just buy from whichever site or whatever shop you are comfortable with.

Ok guys. I have finalised what bssunilreddy suggested. Now coming to other things I have certain queries.
1. Seems like windows os have 32bit, 64 bit versions. Is it just software or it deals with hardware??if so, which is best/better? Do I have to make a note of anything in this aspect?
2. Suggest a good solution for voltage issues.(a ups, a stabilizer, or something)?
3. while searching the internet regarding computer components, there are few components like coolers, case fan,etc. which you didn't mention above. Do I have to buy anything apart from what you have suggested??

I am in the same boat as this guy. Have a strict 40k budget including monitor. So while i can get an i3 4150 , i5 may be a bit of luxury for me. So i want to know how much of a difference can i expect in terms of real life day to day performance for an average/above average users like me? I dont do anything high end just some photo editing in photoshop once in a while, flac to mp3 conversions couple of times a week, playing cs go (main reason) stuffs like that. Now if the performance difference is absolutely crazy then may be i'll reconsider so please help.

I am in the same boat as this guy. Have a strict 40k budget including monitor. So while i can get an i3 4150 , i5 may be a bit of luxury for me. So i want to know how much of a difference can i expect in terms of real life day to day performance for an average/above average users like me? I dont do anything high end just some photo editing in photoshop once in a while, flac to mp3 conversions couple of times a week, playing cs go (main reason) stuffs like that. Now if the performance difference is absolutely crazy then may be i'll reconsider so please help.
Decide for yourself:http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-4460-vs-Intel-Core-i3-4150/2310vs2309

Back