Graphic Cards Need help in choosing a GPU/SMPS

BaaliSoda

Disciple
Hello friends

I am planning to upgrade my desktop in a month or two. And I am looking for a budget GPU (under Indian Rupees 5000) and a good SMPS to complement it(under Indian Rupees 3000).

Purpose:I use my PC mainly for watching Movies(Divx/DVDs/Blu-Ray Rips), for office related works(like MS Office Suite), Listening to the music and occasionally for playing games in medium settings. My main intention is to make my PC into an Home theater System with ability to play most of the modern games.

The following is my PC's Configuration

Mainboard: Mercury PIG31T (FSB:1333/1066 Mhz)

Processor: Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 GHz (3 MB of L2 cache FSB 1066 MHz)

Chipset: Intel G31 & ICH7

- North Bridge: Intel G31

- South Bridge: Intel ICH7

Physical Memory: 4 GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz RAM (2x2GB)

Video Memory: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3100 (GMA3100)

Expansion Slots Available in the Mainboard: 1 x PCI ExpressX16 slot

1 x PCI ExpressX1 slot

2xPCI

Audio Chipset: Realtek ALC 662 6-channel HD Audio

Back Panel I/O:1 x PS/2 keyboard/Mouse connectors

1 x VGA Port

4 x USB 2.0 Ports

1 x Audio port (Line-in, Line-out and Mic-in)

1 x COM Port

1 x RJ 45 Lan connector

System BIOS: AMI BIOS with 8Mb SPI Flash ROM

Supports Plug and Play 1.0A, APM 1.2, Multi Boot, DMI

Supports ACPI revision 1.0 specification

HDD: 80 GB Seagate 5400 RPM SATA(Planning to purchase a 1 TB Internal HDD)

Optical Drive: Samsung DVD Writer (16x Dual Layer)

SMPS is local one i think it is 400 Watts

Display: 19 Inch CRT from Samsung (Planning to upgrade this too with an LCD)

Since I don't know which detail of my PC is important in deciding the GPU/SMPS i have copy pasted most of the details from the manuals i got with my PC.

I kindly request you guys to help me out in choosing cost effective GPU/SMPS that suits my need. Also, kindly guide me on compatibility of your suggested product with my Mainboard/rest of the system.

Looking forward to your advice and suggestions

Thanks in advance

(Note: i Recently updated my RAM, Processor and Motherboard. So, I have no intention of changing them.Please bear in mind that i am not a computer expert)

HD4670 - 4.4k from ITWares or get it locally for few bucks more

CM460W - 2.4k(Hope u'll spend the rest 600bucks from gfx card budget) or go for PowerSafe Silver 500W SMPS - 1.7k..

Thanks Raj for the quick reply

Coming May,I will be in Vellore(TN) that time I am planning visit Chennai to purchase the GPU and SMPS (If possible HDD as well).

Any suggestion on where to purchase with better prices in Chennai?

Thanks again for your advice

Come to Ritchie Street and ask for RC Automation in Narasingapuram Street for Palit HD4670..they even had the CM460W SMPS too..If you digg more shops you may find a good deal, but its not easy to do. I suggest you to go for deltapage and ask their rates first and come to RC Automation then. Then you may know the diff in price..

Thanks a ton Raj

I will do as you suggested

Also, i heard that there going to be drop in prices of ATI 4xxx series cards in a month or two(in particular 4830/4850 cards) once they launch their 4770/4790 cards. Not sure whether this will happen in our local market, but if it does happen then it will be great for budget gpu customers like me.

I never purchased anything through net, but definitely will give a try at Market place(first i got to read the rules and understand how the system works in there)

Raj & thunder Dragon,

I found that HD 4670 is also available in GDDR4 from Sapphire($80 @ newegg)

will DDR4 give any significant improvement over DDR3?(But still in 128 bus width)

What is your opinion about HD 4830/50?(after reading many threads its clear to me that one can get better performance from 48** series cards with its 256 bit memory bus width and more shader units than its budget siblings)

Most of the comparison charts i've seen shows 4830/50 in good picture against some costly rivals

As i mentioned earlier my main purpose of using GPU would be for Movies watching/transcoding, but if the card can play modern games at decent rate that will be a bonus

I am willing to shed an extra 3000 bucks for GPU if that is worth spending(i want to use it for at least 3 years)

Will there be any bottleneck problem with my current config if i go for 4830/4850?

Can you guys suggest me whether its wise to spend that extra cash on 4830/50?

Yup, Sure DDR4 will have some performance increase over DDR3..

And BTW 4850 is the king of budget series as of now. No other rivals can come closer to this. Its the best VFM card now. So i'd suggest you to go for Sapphire 4850 if you wish to shed extra 3k for GPU. Wise choice mate..

AFA Bottlenecking, plz post ur config. So that we will answer for it.

As you are going to upgrade ur moniter too in near future I would also advice you to get a hd4850,chk the market section for good deals on second hand cards.

You can get this sapphire 9800gt for 5.5k

Link

Thanks again Raj (also hacker)

Regarding PSU, is Corsair 450VX will be sufficient for 4850 card?

Also, My config is there at the first post-do you think i will have any bottleneck problem with my current config if go for 4850?(Heard that 4850 runs very hot even in idle)

VX450W is more than enuff to handle ur rig..

And no bottlenecking problem with ur proccy. And ofcourse 4850 runs hot, but getting a aftermarket cooler or getting a dual-slot cooler cards will help reducing temps....

yup vx450 is enough see my siggy and no need to get an aftermarket cooler if u not gonna oc it.As long as card is under warranty no need to worry,my 4850 idles at 58 with 60% fan and at load it goes upto 90C.

Thanks Guys,

Now i have to find a good deal for both these products

Hacker, i saw you recommending GTS 250 over HD 4850 in other thread(You are using HD 4850?). If possible can you kindly give brief comparison of the two cards.

mebaali said:
Thanks Guys,

Now i have to find a good deal for both these products

Hacker, i saw you recommending GTS 250 over HD 4850 in other thread(You are using HD 4850?). If possible can you kindly give brief comparison of the two cards.

GTS 250 is slightly faster than hd4850 and nvidia has better driver support too.Even the cooling is good on it.

Yup, i agree with H@cker at this. But it costs 9.5k and a mere 2-3fps increase over 4850 wont justify with the price difference. So better stick with 4850, or if u have no budget restriction then go for GTS250... :D

Hi Raj

Just got the quote from KMD for sapphire hd 4830(Rs 6400)

4850 is slightly out of my budget right now(since i also want Corsair 450VX PSU)

Shall i go ahead and book the order for 4830?

Back