Budget 0-20k Need Help In Making a system for a NAS (home)

Thought of getting a big drive to backup all the data. Just a thought not finalised. I have two 1TB hard drives and a 500GB hard drive. The 1TB hard drives are almost full so wanted to clear them out.

Was looking at prices not sure i will go with it

Get 2 * WD Red 2TB. Red drives are very good. I was using one of them in my desktop till a week back. Though they are advertised as NASware, no harm in having them in desktop.

As for the HDDs, here is the pricing I have

5K for 1 TB
7.2K for 2 TB
9.1K for 3TB
12.7K fr 4TB

This is for WD Red. According to me, 2/3TB sits in the sweet spot.

Optionally, you can also take WD Purple, they too are rated for 24x7 operation.

Last edited:
Ok Finally Motherboard has reached. Expecting the RAM tomorrow.

I know people say power supply should not be cheaped out on but considering the funds i have, it needs to be :D

Any suggestions for a decent brand cheap.

Ensure you do not overload the PSU, else you will end up damaging the HDDs. When I ran 4 HDDs with my Athlon II X2 on a VIP 350W PSU, I ended up having issues with one of the HDDs. Had to RMA it.

I would suggest not running more than 3 HDDs.

Save up money for a used PSU. For example, @vyral_143 is selling his Seasonic - which would be overkill for your system. Someone may sell their Corsair in the future, get it cheap.

Ironically, I might be picking up that Seasonic for my NAS build :D

Ensure you do not overload the PSU, else you will end up damaging the HDDs. When I ran 4 HDDs with my Athlon II X2 on a VIP 350W PSU, I ended up having issues with one of the HDDs. Had to RMA it.
a 3.5 HDD should consume about 8W, 15W peak maybe when powering up
Those cheap as chips Enter/iball PSUs supply enough power to run a power hungry 100W P IVs from yesteryears completely stable!
For the 10W board and no peripheral setup, pretty much any power supply will do - Buying a corsair woud be overkill

a 3.5 HDD should consume about 8W, 15W peak maybe when powering up
Those cheap as chips Enter/iball PSUs supply enough power to run a power hungry 100W P IVs from yesteryears completely stable!
For the 10W board and no peripheral setup, pretty much any power supply will do - Buying a corsair woud be overkill

Yes, but it did not. This was my config

Athlon II X2 240, 880GM USB3 board, 4GB DDR3 (2x2), Bijli cabinet with aforementioned VIP 350W PSU, 1x 1TB Seagate 7200 rpm HDD, 3x 2TB 5900 rpm HDDs. two 80/92 + one LED 120 mm fans.

Now, the Athlon was a 65W CPU. No overclocking supported. Where was it going wrong?

Secondly, assuming he too has gotten the Mi NAS 25, great. It should suffice.

Yes I got the Mi Nas 25 as recommended and a second hand 4GB Ram.

Also will be running it with 2x 1TB hard drives right now and adding a 4TB one soon.

Back