Need help regarding StanChart bank charges

6pack

ex-Mod
I have a dormant account with SCB. It was my old employee account which got converted to a savings account when it was a zero balance account and got converted to a savings account by SCB some year back.

According to RBI circular, a bank cannot levy charges on a dormant account and reduce its balance. I was thinking this bank would follow that circular because on their website they mention it explicitly in these words:

With reference to RBI circular, vide RBI/2013-14/580, we no longer levy charges related to Dormant & Unclaimed Accounts. These can be specified as:

Dormant Account Charges
Inoperative Account Charges
Penal Charges for Non-Maintenance of Balances on Dormant & Inoperative Accounts

All our branches and processing units have been informed of this change already.

But from past few months, even though the account is locked, the balance in the bank is being reduced by 250 or more rupees by them for non maintenance of minimum balance of 25K per month. I had tried to NEFT some 100 rupees to that bank account as a test to see if it was made operating but the NEFT got cancelled and money came back to my account. Error was that account was dormant or non operating.

So from January when my balance was around 9k or something, its become 5k now. How do I go about this? Should I complain to RBI directly or complain to SCB ombudsman first? They don't allow me to send money to the account and charge me against the RBI circular too. Ridiculous.

Useless fraud bank.

Back