Budget 90k+ Need help selecting CPU,GPU, memory, motherboard and Cooling

1. What is your budget?
    • 1.5Lakhs max
  2. What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - Intel 5820k
    • Motherboard - Asus x99 pro-e
    • GPU - Zotac 980ti amp extreme
    • RAM - Gskill 2400mhz
    • Monitor - Asus PG279Q
    • PSU - Antec x1000 HCG
    • Case : Phantex enthoo
  3. Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
    • Monitor - Asus PG279Q
    • PSU - Antec x1000 HCG
    • Corsair - K75 keyboard
    • Logitech 507 mouse
  4. Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - Need suggestion
    • Motherboard - Need suggestion
    • GPU - Need suggestion
    • CPU cooler : Liquid or air is fine but need suggestion
    • Memory : Need suggestion but has to be RGB as mine is an RGB rig
  5. Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • Maybe when something amazing comes up
  6. Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Bangalore
    • Open to online purchase
  7. Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  8. What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Steaming 4k HDR10 movies to my Oled and other devices via plex / emby
    • Browsing
    • Desktop Processing
    • HTPC
    • Video / audio editing
    • Watching HD movies
  9. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • None
  10. If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • CS GO - highest settings
    • Cyberpunk when it releases
    • GTA V
    • Witcher series
  11. What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 2560 x 1440
    2. Desktop - 2560 x 1440
  12. Are you looking to overclock?
    • Maybe
  13. Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 10 pro

Iam planning to upgrade in 3 months time so im open to wait for the 16core ryzen as well i wont be upgrading after this maybe for another 2-3 years, i need RGB for sure as ive invested a lot on RGB for other components and i understand that not many like RGB bling

Your PC seems to be good enough for what you intend to do with it. Since you're on a 6c/12t setup already all the Ryzen 6c & 8c parts are out of question.
That only leaves the 3900x and the upcoming 3950x. The 3950x will cost 65k here at least IMO it isn't worth spending when your budget is 1.5L. There are others on the forum who can guide you better on the mobo options, make sure to follow the subreddits while making an informed decision because it has been a messy launch, iirc @Marcus Fenix bought a 3900x recently so he might be able to guide you better.
As for the GPU, this has been the worst generation when it comes to pricing. I cannot recommend anything above the 2060 Super or the 5700 since they're all just overpriced and not worth the premium for features that drops frames significantly while not adding much to the experience. AIB 5700 parts haven't showed up yet so the 2060s is the one I'd personally buy atm.

1.5 lacs might not cut it. If you go for the 12 core 3900X which is 43k alone you have to invest in say 20k+ for a X570/470 mobo. You need 11k for a decent CL16 TridentZ RGB 2x8 GB 3200 MHz RAM kit

In fact the sweet spot is 3600 MHz for Zen 2 but those kits are much more expensive.

Half of your budget is gone there.

Now you need the GPU which is the most expensive part in all my builds. And I game at 1080p on a RTX 2080 so that I don't need to upgrade the darned GPU for quite some time. I would cut down on the CPU to get a better GPU if I were in your place since you game at 1440p. In fact I would take a hard look at the 9700K.

If you go for AIO based water cooling I love the Lian li PC-O11 Dynamic case. I didn't get it as its a wide case and doesn't support my Noctua NH-U12s cooler or my new NH-U14S cooler. So add in at least 11-12k for a Corsair H115i 280 mm AIO.

I would suggest playing around with parts in pcpartpicker. Once you have cut down the list to some contenders you will need to google and read up on product forums for compatibility or any other issues.

Since I have a older X370 Asus Crosshair VI Hero mobo which has only 12v RGB support I can't use any ARGB parts. BTW which RGB ecosystem are you using? Corsair Commander Pro / NZXT Hue/ mobo.

This is my build-

1.5 lacs might not cut it. If you go for the 12 core 3900X which is 43k alone you have to invest in say 20k+ for a X570/470 mobo. You need 11k for a decent CL16 TridentZ RGB 2x8 GB 3200 MHz RAM kit

In fact the sweet spot is 3600 MHz for Zen 2 but those kits are much more expensive.

Half of your budget is gone there.

Now you need the GPU which is the most expensive part in all my builds. And I game at 1080p on a RTX 2080 so that I don't need to upgrade the darned GPU for quite some time. I would cut down on the CPU to get a better GPU if I were in your place since you game at 1440p. In fact I would take a hard look at the 9700K.

If you go for AIO based water cooling I love the Lian li PC-O11 Dynamic case. I didn't get it as its a wide case and doesn't support my Noctua NH-U12s cooler or my new NH-U14S cooler. So add in at least 11-12k for a Corsair H115i 280 mm AIO.

I would suggest playing around with parts in pcpartpicker. Once you have cut down the list to some contenders you will need to google and read up on product forums for compatibility or any other issues.

Since I have a older X370 Asus Crosshair VI Hero mobo which has only 12v RGB support I can't use any ARGB parts. BTW which RGB ecosystem are you using? Corsair Commander Pro / NZXT Hue/ mobo.

This is my build-
Thank you for replying @Marcus Fenix @psyph3r

i use Nzxt Hue, i currently use 980Ti which i might continue to use and then upgrade when we have better cards as currently all the GPUs are Meh, not much of a major upgrade since 2 years, so i might have the 1.2L for other components only and then save up more for a GPU

CPU : Amd Ryzen 7 3800X : Rs 34000
Motherboard : Msi MPG X570 Gaming Edge (Wi-Fi) : rs 21000
Motherboard : ASUS ROG Strix X570-F Gaming AMD X570 ATX Gaming Motherboard : Rs 24000
GPU: Asus RX 5700 XT 8GB : Rs 37000
RAM : 16 GB Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600MHz

Cooler included with CPU.
Most probably you need to wait for this RAM

Last edited:
Back