Storage Solutions Need help to interpret SMART readings.

Live4speed

Disciple
As title says... Need help to interpret SMART readings. It started developing bad sectors. Have a look at SMART readings.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415127121532.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415127121532.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 89
There seems to be nothing out of order in that screenshot you've uploaded.
Reallocated sector count indicates corrupted/damaged clusters on a hard drive but it is normal in above picture. It is at 200 now; alarm bells should ring if it rapidly descends from this count towards its threshold of 140.

Mine is a Seagate 1 TB drive and the no. bad clusters are increasing at a steady rate and the count will soon go below the threshold mark. And yes, I was cautioned by the disk utility I use (CrystalDiskInfo) about the rising bad sector count.

There seems to be nothing out of order in that screenshot you've uploaded.
Reallocated sector count indicates corrupted/damaged clusters on a hard drive but it is normal in above picture. It is at 200 now; alarm bells should ring if it rapidly descends from this count towards its threshold of 140.

Mine is a Seagate 1 TB drive and the no. bad clusters are increasing at a steady rate and the count will soon go below the threshold mark. And yes, I was cautioned by the disk utility I use (CrystalDiskInfo) about the rising bad sector count.

It has developed 2 bad sectors. I'm more concerned about c8 write error rate. Dunno what exactly it means but looked something serious to me.

Should I consider RMA my drive ASAP to be on the safe side.? It's my back up drive so don't wish to lose all my data stored on it.

Bad sectors counts are very low and it may take over years when this drive start freezing or completely crashed. I'll better recommend you to stick with this till your RMA warranty is about to expire. Order another drive before the warranty get expired to get another drive.

On the other side, I'll recommend you using Seagate sea tools to look more closely about the current hard drive health status and make sure everything is up to the mark and may work properly.

Seatools seems to be a mixed bag. One of my hard drives is shown as passing most of the tests that Seatools carries and yet the reallocated sector count in the SMART readings is showing an alarming increase.

@Live4speed, your drive developing a bad sector or two is not exactly akin to impending drive failure. Your hard drive has some spare/empty sectors that it uses when certain sectors go bad. Only when the bad sector count increases rapidly do you need to worry about RMAing your drive. As I said, most of your readings look normal to me.

That said, it is imperative that you have a working/usable 1:1 copy/backup of all your important data all the time.

How much warranty does your drive have remaining? If only a short period then go ahead and RMA it. If not, I'll advise to hold on and observe the bad sector count for some more time. Hard drives can motor on for years with a few bad sectors!

Bad sectors counts are very low and it may take over years when this drive start freezing or completely crashed. I'll better recommend you to stick with this till your RMA warranty is about to expire. Order another drive before the warranty get expired to get another drive.

On the other side, I'll recommend you using Seagate sea tools to look more closely about the current hard drive health status and make sure everything is up to the mark and may work properly.

I've lost some videos bcoz of those bad sectors. My drive is 80% full that's why I don't want to take risk.

Why do you suggest seatools for Western digital green hdd ? Shouldn't i be using WD diagnosis tool?

Seatools seems to be a mixed bag. One of my hard drives is shown as passing most of the tests that Seatools carries and yet the reallocated sector count in the SMART readings is showing an alarming increase.

@Live4speed, your drive developing a bad sector or two is not exactly akin to impending drive failure. Your hard drive has some spare/empty sectors that it uses when certain sectors go bad. Only when the bad sector count increases rapidly do you need to worry about RMAing your drive. As I said, most of your readings look normal to me.

That said, it is imperative that you have a working/usable 1:1 copy/backup of all your important data all the time.

How much warranty does your drive have remaining? If only a short period then go ahead and RMA it. If not, I'll advise to hold on and observe the bad sector count for some more time. Hard drives can motor on for years with a few bad sectors!

It has 18 months of warranty left. Since I heard some horrible stories of WD green drives failure I'm kinda worried about losing all the data. Drive is almost 80% full so I'm thinking of RMA it ASAP. in case my main drive developed some problem I'll be screwed in that scenario.

Back