Laptops Need help , USB 3.0 Drive copying speed is very low on Lenovo Z50-70

fLUX

Skilled
I own two external hard disks
WD Passport 1 TB 3.0
WD Desktop 2 TB 3.0 ( the adapter powered one)

When I connect both the drives to the USB 3.0 slot on my Lenovo z50-70 laptop , the speed fails to exceed 39.1 Mb/s. On very rare occasions it gives speed of 80-90 Mb/s .

Can someone let me know what exactly might be the issue ?.

Usually the bus speed on a laptop doesn't support high speeds when more than one drive is connected. If speeds are normal when only one drive is connected then there isn't much you can do about this issue IMO.

Check if your Antivirus is scanning the ext HDD when you are transferring data.
My transfer rate falls when Kaspersky starts scanning the HDD on inserting it into USB port. On stopping the scan, speed improves a bit.

I have the same laptop and even I want to know why I get speeds like 90-100 MB/s sometimes but not every time

@rdst_1 What is the point of having a USB 3.0 on laptop then , I doubt its more than just a marketing gimmick

@hotshot05 The problem is speed does not fluctuate , gives a constant 39.1 MB/s , so I don't think its an antivirus issue.

I am only telling you what I know and what I have experienced on my Lenovo laptop mate. Mine is a G510. Single drive always gives speeds between 100-140MBps but whenever I try transferring between 2 drives speeds always drops to 40-60MBps. That's why I prefer copying twice as time taken is still less due to my quick SSD to act as an intermediary.

Back