Need help with a Wi-Fi router at home to connect 3 PCs

Nikhil

Skilled
Hi guys,

Since I am getting an Airtel connection soon and we have decided to go for a router to connect all 3 computers(one laptop which will be Wi-Fi enabled and 2 PCs).

Our usual compter guy offered us this --- http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=6#

D-Link 108Mbps router at 3500 Rs + tax.

What do you guys have to say abt this??

And obviously that means, I can transfer files easily from one computer to another at a speed of 108Mbps(theoretical) but according to a few reviews, max speed is only 54 (wired).

And will my Airtel connection have RJ 45 terminations?? I guess they will but the computer guy wants to confirm....

Any suggestions?? Ideas?? Comments?? Better options in India??

http://reviews.designtechnica.com/review1449.html

http://reviews.cnet.com/D_Link_DI_624_AirPlus_Xtreme_G_router/4505-3319_7-20817312.html

The above two are reviews for that.... I am more concerned with the wired speeds than the wireless transfers....

Oh, BTW, I forgot to mention.... many people have been having problems withg this DI-624 router....

But that is not a problem for me as the dealer is a friend of my father and will come running to my house in case something goes wrong...

I would recemmond the Linksys Wrt54G. Its my favourite wireless router. It has a hugh fan following on the net and has over 10 hacked firmware which are supported. Linksys is bought over by cisco and hence is a solid company.

This is a 54 Mbps standard 802.11g. Throughput in wireless is always based on signal strengh, so you will get speed depending on the distance and attentuation on your wireless nodes.

The 108 etc are only possible if you use the same technology across..mostly your wireless notebooks will have thier own cards, hence will fall back to 54 even with this router.

Even if you need to spend a little extra go for the linksys - its highly recommended.

Yup...i've got the linksys router too and i wud highly recommend it .... i use it to connect 2 laptops and 1 pc to sify connection.:)...but i never tried interconnecting them :(

I've no experience with Dlink w.r.t wi-fi gear so no comments.
But I've seen the Linksys WRT54G in action myself.Infact I set it up for a client here & it totally rocks.Had no problems whatsoever installing plus Firmwares are available in plenty which add more features to the router.

Check some of these urls.
1.http://www.linksysinfo.org/
2.http://www.wrt54g.com/
3.http://www.hyperwrt.org/Home-Page.shtml << This is the most widely used firmware for that router & other versions of the same Linksys brand.

I've ordered myself the WRT54G & will be picking it up next week from bangalore.
It has cost me 3.3k + Tax.Also ordered a couple of 802.11g PCI Wifi adapters.

You can also have a look at the WRT54GS which is with the speedbooster .One of my friend got it couple of days back,cost him 5k odd.And from what he says he has now spends time peacefully in the "loo" oh with internet connectivity btw !

Here is the WRT54G :WRT54G

& The GS with speedbooster: WRT54GS

Interconnecting should be no problemo Imho.If i'm not wrong then the Airtel guys will give you a router.The wi-fi hosts go into the 4-port swich which either of the above two routers have.While router "ethernet port" goes into a hub or switch.

As far as signal strength is concerned it depends upon the surrounding factors.But trial & error usually gets you through.In case you got any more queries or problems just shoot.

Dude are you thinking of directly putting the WAN link from airtel into the wi-fi router without using the airtel modem/router?

If thats the case then dont count me on it but I believe you will have to check.Why dont you get the router/modem on rent instead & us this router solely for wireless hosts?

Look,

I want to connect 2 PCs (wired) and 1 laptop( wired and wirelessly).

And if I buy the Airtel modem, then can I use any router??
And what will happen if I put the airtel cable directly into the ADSL router?? And from there, I take three connections??

Hmm let me see.Ok here is a network diagram I made to make things easier.

Most Wi-fi routers come with a minimum 4 port ethernet switch to connect the wired lan i.e the router also acts as a Access Point connecting the wired & wireless LAN together.So all your wired hosts [2 as you've specified] would go into the router LAN ports & the laptop will access the shared resources through the wireless signal it gets from either PCMCIA or the USB wi-fi adapter that you might have.
As far as the internet connection is concerned the manual does say the a DSL internet connection can be shared by connecting to it but to be frank & clear I've not directly connected the WAN line from the ISP into the Wi-Fi router.A WAN connection from the modem/router is definately possible as I've practically done it,what I'm not sure of is the direct WAN connection from the ISP into the wi-fi router.
Instead the network diagram that you see is exactly how I had set it up for a client.And Oh did I mention the client also had a airtel dsl line ?

EDIT: I checked the manual,there is no clear cut distinction.There are references where they say the internet connection from the ISP modem/router goes into the router ethernet port.

P.S: Damn my 30 day trial period for MS Visio 2003 expired or else I would have made you a colourful network diagram with lotsa goodies :p :D

Thanks for all the help digen.

And abt the ADSL line going directly into the router....

When I was discussing with the Airte marketing exec abt what plan I want to go for, I told him clearly that I need to connect 3 computers. Then he suggested that I go for the router which would be 3600Rs or 199/- per month on rental. He didn't say anything abt the modem at that time.

So, from what he himself said, I assume that the Wi-Fi router can be used directly without a need for a modem.

Anyway, I will confirm with him again.....

IMHO get Buffalo...

Used in my dad's freinds office, gets range even 700m from the office...

For service and backup though, get D-LINK

Edit: And yeah, follow Digen's diagram, thats the best way of going about...

Nikhil Imho that router which he said was 3.6k OR 199/- bucks on rental is a wired router with no additional switch.It is not a wi-fi router.They have routers from a couple of brands like R.B Comtec....So imho he was specifying that to you.
Cause I have a airtel dsl line too & I'm paying 199/- bucks as monthly rental for that router.Just confirm things before you move ahead.

Also, Airtel uses some protocol which is not supported by WRT54G (or any other standard router) so u have to use their router.
Phoneline - > into -> airtel Router;
Cat 5 from Airtel Router -> into ->WAN port of WRT54G
U se the WAN port of WRT54G is for eternet WANs, not DSL WANs.
I have the WRT54G, u may also want to try WRT54GC (I think it is C, checkup) which is a few hundred bucks more expensive, but is smaller, and much sexier. Check up on Linksys's site.

I use a SMC router SMC7004 for my Hathway connection.....
3 LAN ports, 1 WAN (ethernet ) port.....The best part is the pirce....1400/- with 1 yr warranty....

However, it does not support 802.11g (only b)
But then 11mbps (on 802.11b) is sufficient for streaming music/mpeg's to listen/watch on the laptop...and when I need to transfer large files, I hook it up to the free LAN port on it that supports 100mbps.....

A friend of mine uses it for his BSNL ADSL connection also...He had a Cable modem with a phone line in on one end and an ethernet (CAT45) jack on the other...he hooked this CAT$45 to the WAN port of the SMC router and works perfect....

I asked that airtel guy and he said that he will connect the cable directly to the router. And if I go for one of the other non ADSL ones, I will need to spend extra on the cable modem also.

So, I have decided to go for the D-Link one given in my first post. I know, some of you will shake your heads and mock me....

But the main thing is that the D-Link has more than enough range I need and the features are also very good. And the main problem abt the D-link which is why you guys are advising me to go for another company is(I assume) due the frequent disconnections problem.

But as I told you, the dealer is a friend of my dad and if there is any problem, he will make sure that it is ok.

Apart from this, the D-Link is on par with all the others on the market.

Thanks a lot for your help guys.... Highly appreciated.

Back