Need help with connection sharing

tarey_g

Adept
Hi,
I will be soon getting Tata indicom Wimax connection, i want to share it to two PC's (no wireless networking for now).

* What are the options I have, I dont want to go for a client-Server thing.
* How will the wired internet sharing work with Linksys WRH54G. Link : Linksys by Cisco Wireless-G Home Router WRH54G

techspecs,28.png

* Can different PC's be connected by the four Ethernet ports provided by this modem, or it has some other purpose ?

* In future I'' be getting a Laptop so will wireless and wired networking work at same time ? I assume it should, but want to confirm

I have never gone through networking literature and hence don't know much about this stuff. Help!! :)

1. No need of that. Just assign 2 different IP's and you be set.

2. Connect the ethernet cable from the tata modem to the blue ethernet jack in the linksys.

3. YES and more using the WIFI.

4. YES and YES

hope helped mate.

^^Thx

How do I start with point 1 , I will get a dynamic IP connection. How to achieve what you have stated. Any reference ?

Tata gives a brick shaped modem(or whatever it is) , similar to this , but with no wifi capabilities. There is one input for the cable coming from the dish and one output which connects to your machine. How to share that connection ?

dsc00097.jpg

connect the one output from the TATA modem to the Blue port in the Linksys, and then connect both the pc's to the yellow ports and u r set to go !!!!

@tarey_g

u will have a dynamic ip which will b assigned to ur router when u connect the lan connection from ur tata modem to the blue (WAN) port of the router...for this go to the router settings and set ur WAN as dynamic ip...

now u can connect ur pc to the yellow (LAN) ports of the router and in the router setup u can configure LAN in two ways:

first and the easier and recommended way is to set the LAN as dynamic also and just plug ur pc and forget abt ip settings...ur pc will be assigned an ip address automatically by the router and usually they will be like 192.168.*.*

second is u can assign static ip addresses to ur pc and the configure the LAN in ur router as static and specify what addresses are used in ur pc...i wud say rather stick to the previous option...

and post back if u have any problems..

Thx a lot all of you, thx for confirming the modem thing.

I have not yet bought this modem , if you guys know any other router which is better than this one than pls let me know.

for home network G is more than enough..so get one with Wireless G. if you can run custom firmware then WIN.

Back