Android Need help with getting Mhl cable and feedback on using it

I have few decent spec'ed mobiles lying with me. I want to use them as streaming and gaming device by connecting it to Samsung TV having lan port, connected to home network (not WiFi support or mira cast or wifi display support).

So instead of getting firestick or Android TV box, I am planning to use mhl cable for the same. So that I shall get wireless (wifi, Bluetooth ) capability to my tv as well as decent device for all android experience.

So need feedback on using mhl cable if anyone tried it or using.

Also need help in getting such cable locally in Pune, thane, Mumbai or online. As places I tried locally didn't have such cable.

I plan to use it with zenfone 2 and or LG g3.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ah yes the good old days when mobiles supported MHL.

G3 supports MHL. What about G7 ? nope, never heard of it (!)

These days most have dropped MHL support and i think only high end sammy is the only one left that can do it.

They want you to use some streaming alternative but that is not lag free like MHL. Nothing beats wired for lag free.

Could explain why those cables have become harder to find. Did you check online ?

Last edited:
Ah yes the good old days when mobiles supported MHL.

G3 supports MHL. What about G7 ? nope, never heard of it (!)

These days most have dropped MHL support and i think only high end sammy is the only one left that can do it.

They want you to use some streaming alternative but that is not lag free like MHL. Nothing beats wired for lag free.

Could explain why those cables have become harder to find. Did you check online ?

Online listings have weird prices like 800, 1500. Dont know what the actual price should be. But cable should be costing 100-300 max I feel.

Also reliability is one issue. So if someone has bought one, may be he can share listing of that cable. And his experience like pros and cons. I want to know everything, as much as possible.

I am searching for quite sometime for this. Finally created new thread unwillingly since I didn't find any worthy info.

ok, it seems that the G3 does not support MHL.

G3 uses slimport.

I don't see zenfone 2 in that slimport compatibility list.

If i look at the MHL compatibility list then ASUS only has one device in there and it isn't zenfone 2

So G3 with a micro USB to slimport adapter is what you want. Not MHL. And G3 is the only device you can use unless you have other devices that qualify for slimport support

or via the VGA port

It does Full HD which is the max resolution the G3 can support

These adapters will not work with MHL should you have any devices of that kind.

ok, it seems that the G3 does not support MHL.

G3 uses slimport.

I don't see zenfone 2 in that slimport compatibility list.

If i look at the MHL compatibility list then ASUS only has one device in there and it isn't zenfone 2

So G3 with a micro USB to slimport adapter is what you want. Not MHL. And G3 is the only device you can use unless you have other devices that qualify for slimport support

or via the VGA port

It does Full HD which is the max resolution the G3 can support

These adapters will not work with MHL should you have any devices of that kind.
Tks a lot for pointers.

So it's not worth the money I guess.

One is better off using firestick etc.

What a shame, there is always a compromise. And waste of decent spec'ed devices.

Back