Budget 21-30k Need help with GPU choice

blagawuga

Recruit
Hello fellow TE people,

I've decided on the below parts -

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz (any other suggestion would be appreciated)
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Power Supply: Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro Series EA650G Pro 650W

Now I'm stuck on which GPU (case I'll somehow manage) to buy. The important thing to consider is that I'll be playing 1080p for the next 2 years at least and I'll be building my PC in mid October so waiting for any 3xxx series cards is basically out of the equation for me. The above build is around ~60k (along with case) so I got 40k of budget for GPU (MAX). My main purpose would be streaming Apex legends (and playing it on 144Hz).

Now with that out of the way, I decided on 3 approaches -
  1. Getting a good used 1080Ti + better streaming accessories
  2. Getting a 2060S new + better streaming accessories
  3. Getting a 2070S (Gigabyte Windforce OC is 43k but I'd like this to be my last option)
What do you guys think?

go for minimum 750watt smps and for gpu go for 2070super for streaming or gaming. you can get it for a price 33 to 30k or so in second hand market. the price for 2070s new will go down once 3070 comes out !

Do you use low, medium settings on Apex Legends? If so, you may want to re-think your PC. For high refresh rate, competitive settings gameplay, what you need is a beefier CPU and not necessarily a top end GPU.

e.g. i9-10900k with 1660ti may produce more minimum framerate than R5 3600 with 2060S (Check online for exact reviews). The competitive settings in most games hit the CPU bottleneck before they hit GPU bottleneck (esp. at 1080p and below), therefore, you need to ensure your minimum framerate is as high as possible.

As for streaming, a 1660S e.g. doesnt have any loss against a 2070S, because, again, streaming is more strenuous on CPU and not necessarily on GPU. However, if you compare this with 30xx GPU, nvidia has introduced this:

(I dont know how effective that new thing is, but my point is between even a 1050ti and 2070S, you are unlikely to see any difference in streaming alone. I run a 5700xt and 3600 and I stream everyday to Youtube. II lose maybe like 5 to 10 frames out of 144 when I do so. I do it only to record my gameplay and am not looking for money on youtube. But, for you, this maybe a deal breaker. Those frame rate loss is due to CPU)

Do you use low, medium settings on Apex Legends? If so, you may want to re-think your PC. For high refresh rate, competitive settings gameplay, what you need is a beefier CPU and not necessarily a top end GPU.

e.g. i9-10900k with 1660ti may produce more minimum framerate than R5 3600 with 2060S (Check online for exact reviews). The competitive settings in most games hit the CPU bottleneck before they hit GPU bottleneck (esp. at 1080p and below), therefore, you need to ensure your minimum framerate is as high as possible.

As for streaming, a 1660S e.g. doesnt have any loss against a 2070S, because, again, streaming is more strenuous on CPU and not necessarily on GPU. However, if you compare this with 30xx GPU, nvidia has introduced this:

(I dont know how effective that new thing is, but my point is between even a 1050ti and 2070S, you are unlikely to see any difference in streaming alone. I run a 5700xt and 3600 and I stream everyday to Youtube. II lose maybe like 5 to 10 frames out of 144 when I do so. I do it only to record my gameplay and am not looking for money on youtube. But, for you, this maybe a deal breaker. Those frame rate loss is due to CPU)

for stream we do use nv encode chip so it matters and also at what fps we want to play verse what fps is stream matters.
Post automatically merged:

currently don't buy gpu. wait for big navi as you will also get new nvidia products and price drops.

My suggestion would be to get a used 1080 and use the saved funds on other accessories. Just a little bit of care while buying used items and you are good to go.

What do you guys think?
If you have not bought system, please postpone it to November start. AMD's Zen 3 processors are going to be unveiled in October 1st week. This would open new option for CPU - may be little more VFM proccy !
About GPU, let AMD launch theirs by end of October. Nvidia will try to steal AMD's thunder with Ti/Super variants of 3080/3070 and possibly launching 3060/3060 Ti/super. It is really interesting time to build PC.

/OT
I stream everyday to Youtube
What's your channel ?
OT/

I bought an AMD based gaming rig recently, my suggestions would be:

1. Go for B450 chipset, you don't need PCIe 4 for any of the stuff you are going to do. Save money there. Recommendation: MSI B450 Carbon Pro AC WiFI
2. Go for Corsair Vengence RAM, they are always good and I think you will get it cheaper in India.
3. I run Earthwatts Pro Gold 550 watts myself and it works flawlessly. I don't see you need anything more than that for your current build, but in the future, if you plan to shift to RTX 3000s then I would suggest going for 750 watts
4. Graphics card with a 40k budget, you should be able to get the 2070S at that price and in the second-hand market (maybe 2080 as well) and that too with warranty left for eg, there is a guy selling MSI RTX 2080 in 41k with 1.5yrs warranty remaining at 41k in TE buy/sell forum - Link
5. If possible, wait for Zen 3 CPUs, even if they don't bring a CPU that outperforms 3600 at the price you are getting it for now, it will definitely push the price for 3600 further down.1

What's your channel ?
OT/

MyStory MyEnding (Single player games only) Dont expect CSGO skills over there, lol... 3 years ago, I thought it will take off, but it didnt and now its only serving as my personal repository to look back at my choices in RPGs if I lose touch, lol.

2060 Super FE user here. its overkill for most games, running forza horizon 4 on ultra settings - fps lock removed get 185 + frames, it doesnt even utilize more than 4 gigs of its VRAM for any game ive tested so far.

2060S and 5700xt are overkill at 1080p at some games, not most. e.g. Try running the following games at 1080p ultra, you will not achieve 144 FPS:

1. Witcher 3
2. Division 2
3. Shadow of the Tomb Raider
4. Mass effect Andromeda
5. AC Origin and Odyssey (bad optimization has a part to play too here)
6. Etc.

All of these games except the 5th ones run into GPU bottleneck even on 1080p. Strong CPU is the key here to keep the minimum frame rate as high as possible.

Back