Need help with Mumbai Foreign Post Office

prabs

Skilled
I ordered a Mi Gamepad and 90 Degree stereo cable from Gearbest both combined with gearbest's tracking cost and insurance was around 1.9K

The last update on 2016-05-16 15:47 stated -
"India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Record item customs information (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner"

There has been no update ever since. Please advice.

@adder - There's absolutely no update and I spoke to the post man who has got absolutely no clue. He only said that if it reaches him, he will deliver.

I called up the Foreign Post Office. The person said the box will be opened, the contents evaluated and accordingly I will be charged. They asked me to wait for a few days. I seriously hope they don't charge me too much or damage the goods.

I ordered a couple of ORICO hot swap HDD bays from aliexpress recently with total cost $28. Parcel sent via china post on 2nd May, reached Calcutta on 9/10th, sent to Mumbai customs by 11th, cleared by 14th and delivered to my place on 16th. So, total 3 days spent at Mumbai customs and yeah, no customs levied.

I ordered a couple of ORICO hot swap HDD bays from aliexpress recently with total cost $28. Parcel sent via china post on 2nd May, reached Calcutta on 9/10th, sent to Mumbai customs by 11th, cleared by 14th and delivered to my place on 16th. So, total 3 days spent at Mumbai customs and yeah, no customs levied.
- Not sure if gloating :cry:

Update -

2016-05-20 13:49
India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Return item from customs (Inb), Air, MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE
2016-05-20 13:49
India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Record item customs information (Inb), Air, MUMBAI AIRPORT SORTING OFFICE, Retention reason : Articles importation subject to restrictions import- license
2016-05-16 15:47
India, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Record item customs information (Inb), Air, MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE, Retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner

There is no mention of charge, will I be charged? :fearscream:

Huh, what gloating? I tried to give you a reference of what to expect based on my recent experience.

In any case below line means you should get ready to pay custom duty.

Retention reason : Articles importation subject to restrictions import- license

You can expect duties around Rs 500 ~ 600

A ballpark estimate as calculated on dutycalculator.com

Total customs value (CIF): INR1820.48 This is the amount that customs values your import at
- Duty: INR183.87
- Landing Charges: INR18.20
- Countervailing Duty: INR252.82
- CESS: INR13.10
- Additional Countervailing Duty: INR91.54
- CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS): INR0.00

Total import duty & taxes due: INR559.53

Game Pad has an import duty rate of 10% and Landing Charges rate is 1%, Countervailing Duty rate is 12.5%, CESS rate is 3%, Additional Countervailing Duty rate is 4%, CEX (Education & Higher Education CESS) rate is 0%. Restrictions may apply for shipping this product with courier or postal companies [Some probability].Packaging and labelling requirements apply to Lithium batteries whether they are contained in the equipment or sent separately from the device. Please contact your courier for more information. This product has dual-use and therefore requires an Export Control Classification Number (ECCN) [High probability].

Last edited:
Huh, what gloating?

I was only kidding mate.

Ridiculously with that additional charge I will end up paying more than the lowest price on eBay for it. What is odd about the eBay controllers is they don't include batteries which is strange considering Xiaomi ships with 2 AA batteries.

Any chance of appealing to lower the charge if levied?

I ordered supplements online close to $150 in value including shipping & Handling cost. Now since 6th March I am checking it on Indian postal service below is what update I am getting

Date Time Country Location Event Type Mail Category Next Office Extra Information
17/03/2017 12:39:57 India MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Record item customs information (Inb) Air MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Retention Reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner
14/03/2017 10:48:18 India DELHI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Transfer from office of exchange (Inb) Air MUMBAI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
11/03/2017 10:56:48 India DELHI FOREIGN POST OFFICE Receive item at office of exchange (Inb) Air DELHI FOREIGN POST OFFICE
07/03/2017 22:00:00 Sweden LONDON Send item abroad (EDI-received) Air DELHI EMS SPEED POST CENTRE
07/03/2017 09:51:00 Sweden Insert item into bag (Otb) Air DELHI EMS SPEED POST CENTRE
07/03/2017 07:44:00 Sweden Receive item from customer (Otb) Air DELHI EMS SPEED POST CENTRE

How will the customs hold this and how much duty will I have to pay on food supplements ?

All the shipments since March 17 are stuck as imports are on hold for some security reason, Also the last update shows as waiting presentation so wait for the next update it can take upto 15 days.

73c3099b056d1cb8bba8d1983e755f61.jpg

This is the circular recd

After so many years I'm back on this forum.
However, mine's also stating "Record item customs information (Inb),Air,CED KOLKATA,Retention reason : Awaiting presentation to customs commissioner".
Does anyone have any update yet? It's showing from 1/04/17

Last edited:
Back