Budget 31-40k Need laptop to last for many years

I really don't understand why people buy expensive laptops for regular home use. Buy the cheapest laptop you can find which has all the features and config that you need and throw it away when it fails! Because it will, sooner than later, and repairing a laptop is usually a futile exercise.

Its because

A. people are fixated on the numbers war (i3<i5<i7<i9<Xeon) (AMD = heating still :facepalm:)

and

B. the technical guys think the same so suggest that way without telling that 4GB of RAM and HDD with Windows 10 will want you to commit harakiri.

and

C. most high end laptops come with a gaming GPU, so kids, this is best.

@Emil ideally, please buy an entry level business grade laptop, and outfit it with 8GB of RAM and an SSD if it does not have either. If you can upgrade the warranty to 3y and try to pickup something with damage protection.

As for the licenses, if it does not come with the licenses, for about 10Kish you should be able to get both or even lower.

Its because

A. people are fixated on the numbers war (i3<i5<i7<i9<Xeon) (AMD = heating still :facepalm:)

and

B. the technical guys think the same so suggest that way without telling that 4GB of RAM and HDD with Windows 10 will want you to commit harakiri.

and

C. most high end laptops come with a gaming GPU, so kids, this is best.

@Emil ideally, please buy an entry level business grade laptop, and outfit it with 8GB of RAM and an SSD if it does not have either. If you can upgrade the warranty to 3y and try to pickup something with damage protection.

As for the licenses, if it does not come with the licenses, for about 10Kish you should be able to get both or even lower.
Yes Vivek. I bought the one @Julian mentioned. He just got it yesterday. I would have gone for the one you had told me about a couple of months back but I could not come to Bombay, pick it up and ship it to Goa.

Bought HP Notebook - 15-da0414tu last night. I had been on the lookout for HP Laptop - 15s-eq1042au as first choice and tried to buy it first since both suddenly became available on the HP website. During my purchase attempt, it failed 3 times for various reasons. In the third attempt it went out of stock so I went ahead with my second choice. Rs 34702/-
Thanks to all of you guys who gave me advice and suggestions.
Finally... congrats on your purchase.

Please buy a 3 year warranty from hp if possible. "Gaming GPU" in a budget laptop is possibly the worst mistake one can make.
My first laptop was an AMD one with discrete gaming GPU ( DV something) Thought I could play Crysis in it...

Last edited:
Are you open to refurbished deals?

Cashify.in has a number of Thinkpads available.

I personally believe that Thinkpads are the most reliable brand.

Finally... congrats on your purchase.
thanks
Post automatically merged:

Please buy a 3 year warranty from hp if possible. "Gaming GPU" in a budget laptop is possibly the worst mistake one can make.
My first laptop was an AMD one with discrete gaming GPU ( DV something) Thought I could play Crysis in it...
there is no gaming GPU in it.
Post automatically merged:

Purchased already

Guess I can hijack this thread since my requirements are similar and the OP has got a new laptop. I've been thinking of this option lately, since I've had good experience with Thinkpads provided by my organization. But how reliable is Cashify or Olx or even FB market place. I'm seeing a lot of Thinkpads being sold there - which might have been 5 years old already. I'm not sure how long they would last.

Guess I can hijack this thread since my requirements are similar and the OP has got a new laptop. I've been thinking of this option lately, since I've had good experience with Thinkpads provided by my organization. But how reliable is Cashify or Olx or even FB market place. I'm seeing a lot of Thinkpads being sold there - which might have been 5 years old already. I'm not sure how long they would last.

Cashify would certainly be much more reliable compared to Olx since you are dealing with the company rather than a person over a platform.

Cashify would certainly be much more reliable compared to Olx since you are dealing with the company rather than a person over a platform.
I wouldn't say my experience with cashify as good when I sold my phones to them. They tried to lowball after quoting a much higher price online. I had to bargain a lot to get something more out of the deal.

I'm getting hold of a vendor who deals with used corporate laptops through a reliable friend. Hopefully I get a decent one.

How much life I could realistically expect from a 5th Gen i5 Thinkpad? T440p which was released 7 years ago is being sold for 21500 (with 8GB RAM and SSD).

How much life I could realistically expect from a 5th Gen i5 Thinkpad? T440p which was released 7 years ago is being sold for 21500 (with 8GB RAM and SSD).
I guess 2 years max.

There must be a reason they are selling the old laptop. Too much trouble sourcing spares, too costly to repair/replace parts, some pcb not working properly, gpu problem etc.

If you want something to last 4+ years, buy new. You will get 1 or 2 years warranty and it will be much faster than old gen laptops. Plus replacement parts are easier to find.

I'm not finding any good laptops in the range of 35-40k among the new line-up. Something or the other is missing. An year ago, 8th gen i3 laptops were selling around 25-28k which was good enough for daily runner. After the release of 10th gen, entry level laptops are north of 35k and I don't find them worth it. I had my eyes on older Thinkpads because two of my friends went through this route and got 3-4 years out of those old machines.

As someone said in this thread, I don't think spending 50k on a laptop at this time is beneficial.

Source a T440 from eBay, upgrade the RAM, replace the HDD with a SSD. A perfectly fine laptop.

Shipping and Customs duty will make it costlier than a new laptop. Plus i think the govt of India does not allow import of second hand electronic goods. They didn't allow Apple to sell refurbished iPhones or other apple goods here too.

Oh!! Didn't know that...here in poorer parts of Europe, the techies are still going crazy over upgrading older T series ThinkPad. They are even upgrading the screens.

Oh!! Didn't know that...here in poorer parts of Europe, the techies are still going crazy over upgrading older T series ThinkPad. They are even upgrading the screens.
These older T series thnkpads are too robust and I'm hunting for one here in India but a used one &yet to find a good deal.
To update, recent thinkpads acre a total crap and would advise to refrain for falling for their specs as their build quality is too cheap.

Source a T440 from eBay, upgrade the RAM, replace the HDD with a SSD. A perfectly fine laptop.

Ebay is defunct. A refurbished T450 is available for 23,500 through my friend. Upgrading RAM and adding SSD would cost another 4.5k which makes the final price to 28k. I'm not sure if this is a good deal, since a newer i3 costs around 43k.

I wouldn't say my experience with cashify as good when I sold my phones to them. They tried to lowball after quoting a much higher price online. I had to bargain a lot to get something more out of the deal.

I'm getting hold of a vendor who deals with used corporate laptops through a reliable friend. Hopefully I get a decent one.

Yes they try to lowball you. I think what happens is that Cashify has a database of used stuff dealers. They connect you with a near by dealer from their list. Then the dealer comes to pick up your device and says all kinds of bad things about your device. In one case, he told me he had to pay a commission to Cashify. That's how I came to know about it. One dealer even gave me his number to save and told me to contact him privately next time.

Yeah that makes sense. I wish they should say it upfront, instead of giving us a final quote and backpedalling from that. I find that a dishonest business practice. That's why I wasn't keen on getting refurbished laptop from them.

Anyway, got me a Thinkpad E14 from Amazon. Found it good enough for my requirements.

Back