Need recommendation for hardware setup for Plex server

colors6

Disciple
I run Plex on my raspberry pi 3 with a 320 GB HDD powered by external power supply attached to it.

The experience is not optimal since anything above 720p x264 is unplayable on this setup.

Can anyone recommend a Plex server hardware setup for 720p x265 files?

I have a 39 inch 1080p HD TV.

The reason I’m not going after a higher resolution is because it will get expensive.

I don’t have a 4K tv and don’t intend to get another tv for a couple of years, so 4K is not a requirement for me.

I’ll be fine with storage Upto 1TB.

I have no idea what the cost will be for this setup.

I will be using the amazon fire stick to run the Plex client.

Last edited:
If you are not very specific in using Plex, try loading LibreElec on RPI 3 https://libreelec.tv/downloads/pi2-pi3/

LibreElec is actually an OS which has Kodi built in. You can connect RPI3 directly to the TV and will remove all the transformation associated with the Plex. Unless of course there is a physical setup that you do not want to move. I have personally found plex very limited in terms of license to use the media that are actually mine! - just my thoughts! :)

If you are not very specific in using Plex, try loading LibreElec on RPI 3 https://libreelec.tv/downloads/pi2-pi3/

LibreElec is actually an OS which has Kodi built in. You can connect RPI3 directly to the TV and will remove all the transformation associated with the Plex. Unless of course there is a physical setup that you do not want to move. I have personally found plex very limited in terms of license to use the media that are actually mine! - just my thoughts! :)
+1 for librelec...running smoothly on 40 vu tv on wireless.

I have no problem installing non-Plex software.

The reason I’m looking for an alternative is right now I connect a 500 GB SATA hardrive encolsed in HDD enclosure powered by external power supply to the RPi3.

The RPi3 reboots/crashes every few minutes whenever I try to play a x265 video or 1080p h264. It barely plays 720p x264.

I have come to the conclusion that either the hard drive/enclosure is faulty or the RPi3 doesn’t have the juice to play HD videos.

That’s why I was wondering if it get a different hardware/software setup and what it will cost me.

Colors6. I assumr you were running Plex server on that RPI 3. The plex code is quite "demandy" and hence plex server always requires a desktop class processor.
Install Libreelec and you can directly play all of your videos.

However, there is one security issue : The Libreelec does not allow changing the root password. So always keep SSH disabled unless you are in your own secured home network

Coming to recommendations for Plex - I believe any i3/i5 should be enough for your usage, you might even get by with a Pentium (the newer ones). If you want to take advantage of QuickSync encoding for Plex - you need to get a Plex Pass.

Ideally, with your minimal requirements, it does not make sense IMO to setup a dedicated server, unless you plan to add stuff later on.

Colors6. I assumr you were running Plex server on that RPI 3. The plex code is quite "demandy" and hence plex server always requires a desktop class processor.
Install Libreelec and you can directly play all of your videos.

However, there is one security issue : The Libreelec does not allow changing the root password. So always keep SSH disabled unless you are in your own secured home network

The reason I was sticking with Plex is because I have been using it for years and it’s shiny and slick and I’m a lifetime pass member so I get some extra goodies...

I like kodi.

I’ll install libreelec and see how things workout [emoji57]

Coming to recommendations for Plex - I believe any i3/i5 should be enough for your usage, you might even get by with a Pentium (the newer ones). If you want to take advantage of QuickSync encoding for Plex - you need to get a Plex Pass.

Ideally, with your minimal requirements, it does not make sense IMO to setup a dedicated server, unless you plan to add stuff later on.

As an option, can you give me any specific hardware setup for Plex server info including the cost?

OT: has any one used 3rd party remote on rpi/librelec...I am not able the guide I saw some months back.
I have a wd tv player remote control.

The reason I was sticking with Plex is because I have been using it for years and it’s shiny and slick and I’m a lifetime pass member so I get some extra goodies...

I like kodi.

I’ll install libreelec and see how things workout [emoji57]
You would need to build up a system. In the current system, you.can Ryzen 3 2200 in a min itx setup (without any GC) with min 4 gb ram and run any of your fav linux setup (mine is SuSE). Plex run terrificly well in linux setup which is known for a optimized disk usage. The ryzen 3 2200 will provide all the juice required for plex transcoding.

You may setup a thread in appropriate grouo and people will guide you with various combination. Just be clear to state a correct requirement

OT: has any one used 3rd party remote on rpi/librelec...I am not able the guide I saw some months back.
I have a wd tv player remote control.
The KORE is a official remote for Kodi ( played on Libreelc or any other OS). All you require is to provide correct IP address. Port will be 80.

Also, you can enable web management within Kodi, with this you can browse through and browssr by pointing to the url which will be the ipaddress:port number where kodi is running

The KORE is a official remote for Kodi ( played on Libreelc or any other OS). All you require is to provide correct IP address. Port will be 80.

Also, you can enable web management within Kodi, with this you can browse through and browssr by pointing to the url which will be the ipaddress:port number where kodi is running
I am using that.but I would like to use a stand alone remote control

I am using that.but I would like to use a stand alone remote control
If the RPI is directly connected to the TV / AVR through HDMI, the HDMI-CEC functionality should enable you to use the existing TV / AVR remote to control the Kodi. See https://kodi.wiki/view/CEC for more details. However, sometimes, it just doesn't work.
There is a DIY alternative to have a USB based Infrared receiver and then programming any remote to the command for the KODI, but this requires some setup and patience :)

For anything hevc related, stick to something with HW encoding/decoding. SW is just not up to it for now, especially the RPi.

EDIT : Why is your plex server not transcoding it for the pi?

Any hardware recommendation for HEVC?
Any of the Skylake and above processors with GTX 960 and above should be able to run the hevc. However, it looks like my age old ivybridge processor is also capabile of running it :) On Mobile, snapdragon 820 and above have the native capability to run those (use MX player). So what is your setup like? RPI definitely cannot run the hevc neither be able to transcode them. Also, because of the bandwidth available, if you are running a plex server over a bad wifi connection, it sill struggle to stream.So let's say you have a plex server running on windows 10 and a RPI with plex client running in a different room over a 2.5 ghz connection, it might struggle. You need to have a Wifi AC setup which will run on a 5ghz connection. But that would mean that your devices cannot be far off - may 15 feet.

Back