Android Need some feedback on Gionee before buying

I am planning to buy a Gionee M2. I am very hesitant to buy from a new brand (buying primarily for the huge battery).

I request the members who own a Gionee device, to please give me some idea about the build quality and screen sensitivity etc.

Thanks. :)

One of my friend owns Gpad g3. it has good build + screen but what about after sales services,
what is your budget??
you may get a better company mobile who provide far better ass

Well, my budget is about 10k. And as i mentioned, I am going after the big battery.

Also, about servicing, Ive had experiences with even brands like sony, even after months they were unable to fix my handset and refused to give me a new piece.

Htc doesnt provide service in this area either. (Nagpur, Maharashtra)

So I didnt really consider the servicing part.

Just wanted to know hows the build quality and does it feel like it can last for some time.

Recently gifted Gionee L800 - basic phone to my mom.. Big battery 3000mAH.. Lasting for a whole week. She is very happy with the phone so far.
No idea about android phones..

Already have a moto g. And the battery wouldnt last me all day.

Anyway, have ordered the gionee M2.

Will give a short review once I have it in hand for future reference of the members. :)

^^ Yet to have it in hand. Though 1.2-1.5gb is standard for mediatek based devices having 4gb memory. Also for those who root, there is a mod available to use the whole memory (~2gb) for apps.

Also, apps can be moved to sd card (default memory can be set as external sd).

I am using a Gionee Elife E3 for the past 8months or so, when no one even knew about Gionee, I would say that the build quality is good for a budget phone, but I was truly amazed by the 720p display, I somehow find it better(display) than a S3, but that is a personal opinion. Camera is nice as well, I have not yet encountered any kind of an issue with the phone, be it overheating, lags or any other thing. The only cons could be after sales service.

^^Well, I have mine in hand today. And the first thing I notice is, my M2 is not recognizing my Idea sim in the sim slot 1 (didnt check in slot 2). Slot 1 recognizes my Airtel sim without a problem.

(Slot 1 is regular mini sim and slot 2 is micro sim).

Initial impressions :
The phone is solidly built, has a huge huge battery (which I am trying to caliberate now). The battery being so big, the phone is very heavy.

The User Interface (Amigo UI as Gionee calls) is pretty sluggish, slow animations everywhere, everything is heavily themed. They tried making it similar to MIUI, but the implementation is nowhere even close. The gallery app is useless with not even the basic functionality covered. Has tons and tons of bloat.

The screen is pretty okay, gets the job done in other words. Coming from a moto g , lumia 920, the resolution difference is very much noticeable.

The audio output via the 3.5mm audio jack is infact very poor. Also it has no built in equilizer. Not all headphones are supported as well.
The in call volume is good, though the quality isnt all that good, distorts quite a bit.

While the UI is poor, the actual operation is actually quite good. Opening apps, switching between apps, web browsing etc are really good with no problems.

These are my initial observations, totally based on my personal usage type. Will be rooting the phone and installing Xposed mods in a few days whenever I get time (21st and 22nd of this month mostly).

Dont get me wrong, the phone is actually very well worth the money, the touch response is excellent for its price range and competetion, the battery is pretty much unbeatable, built is very solid and doesnt feel cheap in hands in anyways.

^^ Ill do that after rooting and installing all the mods i like. :)

Xda says framaroot works for gionee m2, but isnt working for me. Hence will do that later.

Xposed framework works fine with this phone, hence not a problem.

For anyone looking to buy the phone for a large battery, this phone is totally worth the price and provides awesome battery backup.

Phone rooted. Custom recovery installed. AOSP custom rom installed as well. Now the phone is very very smooth with absolutely no clutter and bloat.

Will come up with a detailed review soon.

Also, on the stock rom, before I started to play with the device, was using the device for past 2 days. The battery backup is way too good. This was the very first charge (will take a few charge cycles to perform at its maximum) and yet it was capable of giving a screen ON time of about 12hrs 30mins (total of 2 days usage) with 15% battery remaining!!
Usage pattern :
Wifi on all the time
screen brightness set to low/medium all time
Web browsing, Youtube and a couple of games (impossible road and gyro)
[Was at home all the time, hence only wifi and screen brightness set to medium/low].

Back