need some help in Mumbai a very costly city

c2quado

Disciple
hello friends,

one of my friend from punjab is in mumbai from today.he has to stay there for a few days approx a week.but only in one day he find that its a very costly city.
from mumbai airport terminal 1a the taxi fare cost him 900.inr for one way. and 1 night at hotel is 2k .

So I want a little help from my mumbai fellows to advice us to find him reasonable accomodation for a week with security in other city because he is also carrying some cash with him and some documents.
and what is the cheapest transportation in mumbai. and also meal.

he's totally a stranger there he know nobody so It will be off great help if fellow member here from mumbai can help us for the time with some knowledge about the city.I told him to stay at some dharmsala but he refused saying its a risky place

I didnt find any appropriate section to post so I 'm posting in general.

He's in kurla. But I dont know where but it take 9 minutes to get to local airport from there.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kippu said:
big question : where in mumbai , of course 2k is cheaper with safety?
he's not from a very rich family yaar. if one night cost 2 k it will be 14k for the trip and thats out of the budget of a common man

I have put my query here just if some one from mumbai can shed some light for surviving in a strange city for strangers with cheap cost and some safety.

2k for a hotel accommodation is quite cheap by Mumbai's standards, if you want to stay in a decent hotel of course. Else he can look for cheap accommodations that are available near CST or in Dadar, I believe. Mumbai members might be able to help better. But certainly one way taxi fare from airport to Kurla shouldn't have cost him Rs.900. He was fleeced, I must say.

c2quado said:
He's in kurla. But I dont know where but it take 9 minutes to get to local airport from there.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

he's not from a very rich family yaar. if one night cost 2 k it will be 14k for the trip and thats out of the budget of a common man

I have put my query here just if some one from mumbai can shed some light for surviving in a strange city for strangers with cheap cost and some safety.
unless he traveled beyond bandra & sion towards town side then its obvious that he had to take the cab, else he could have taken the rick, but as u say hes in kurla then rick is ok, but Rs.900/- for cab to kurla means he must have traveled somewhere else too, usually i take a cab from fort to thane which is 35 kms by road, takes 40 mins during the night & around Rs.450/- half return fare, looks like someone really took him for a ride.

now all that common man, not rich etc etc etc please do not mention it, if he really was then he would have taken the punjab mail to dadar & from there local to kurla & then bus or rick onwards, few lodges in sakinaka area helps a lot if asked any rick wala, they know all the places.

basic cost 400/- to 500/- per day & food in nearby hotel wldnt cost more than Rs.200/- per day, so all in all within Rs.5000/- for a week.

logistopath said:
2k for a hotel accommodation is quite cheap by Mumbai's standards, if you want to stay in a decent hotel of course. Else he can look for cheap accommodations that are available near CST or in Dadar, I believe. Mumbai members might be able to help better. But certainly one way taxi fare from airport to Kurla shouldn't have cost him Rs.900. He was fleeced, I must say.
no he didnt paid 900 for kurla from airport it was 150inr
but for some other destination from airport.I dont know the name of the place at the moment.
if 2k is cheap for a night stay I m very dissappointed to know that.

i am born & brought-up in Bombay, now mumbai, this is the city of no standards, i mean in a good way, a person can have a nice decent meal from Rs.25/- to Rs.55/-

as far as the lodging is concerned, a decent lodging is available below Rs.500/- per day

a person takes care of all this before he travels & not after, let this be a experience for now, so better luck next time.

u get lodges for like 300 bucks man, ofcourse not the safety and comfort of a hotel room, but still... its good and can b easily worked on. Dadar is a good place to start.. but i guess, next time now :)

Try the Salvation Army hostel at Colaba...behind the Taj.
It used to be pretty reasonable...I think it was about 2-300 bucks a night about 5 yrs back. It's safe and clean...and in the heart of Bombay.

Back