PC Peripherals need suggestion for RAM ....

so now i have palnned to get new RAM modules.

i can get CORSAIR XMS2 2X1GB modules for 3.4K here locally.

searched for G.SKILL but not available here in KOLHAPUR:(

also i can get 4GB Transcend RAM (@800MHZ)4gigs for 4 - 4.4k

so which one should i prefer 2gb xms2 or 4GB Transcend ????

i use my rig mostly for gaming.

also tell how good are Transcend RAM to OC .

can you explain how transcend 4giggs will be more effective than 2gigs of CORSAIR as 2gb is enough for gaming ?????

i don't mind if loading time is more .......but performance increase should be in real gameplay .
have anybody overclocked transcend RAM ????

Overclocking Transcend RAM is a vague topic, since it depends on the ICs being used on your RAM sticks. The ICs being used can vary quite often, so its always a hit-or-miss affair.

The Corsair XMS2 modules aren't guaranteed to overclock well either. It depends on the model/revision you're sourcing, as that would tell you .. yep, you guessed right :p .. the IC's that are being used on them once again.

That being said, how high are you intending to overclock? Even with 800MHz Transcend sticks that do not overclock at all, you can still manage a mild overclock to 3.2GHz keeping your FSB:RAM ratio at 1:1.

I also hope you know that 4 gigs of RAM is not accessible unless using a 64-bit version of Windows.

Value RAM sticks from any brand - be it Corsair, Transcend, Kingston, etc - will use the cheapest ICs they can source. As such the ICs being used vary quite often, and their corresponding overclocking capabilities as well.

Someone may get 'X' ICs on his Transcend RAM sticks and hit 1GHz, but there is no guarantee you may get the same 'X' ICs and hit the same overclock.

Premium RAM sticks have a higher probability of using the same IC over much of its lifetime or atleast something similar, which could give a more guaranteed range of overclocks for different batches.

However, I have noticed some of the entry level Corsair XMS2 'Premium' modules usually come with ICs that are not too good for overclocking either. I'm guessing the ones you have mentioned fall under the same category.. if you could get a revision number of these XMS2 sticks, you could have a better idea of the ICs/overclocking capabilities.. otherwise they are really not worth the premium over similar 2Gig sticks.

Wish we could put a figure on how high the Transcend stuff could overclock, but apart from guesses/experiences, there's NEVER a confirmed figure for overclocks!

However if they are user experiences from a *recent* batch of Transcend sticks, you could make the dive and be just as lucky :)

You usually need to over-volt sticks a notch for higher overclocks, and thats when they tend to heat up. For mild overclocks, they can stay pretty cool. Again this is not a hard and fast rule, and depends on the ICs being used.

On a side note, I just noticed you are using a generic PSU .. I would strongly advise you not to overclock your system till you get a better PSU ;)

^^you can tell which chips are there on transcend memory becuase it has a capital letter next to the barcode on the sticker that is stuck to the ram....so if you want to go hunting for specific ICs, then go ahead :)
its like ::
elpida - E
qimonda - Q
powerchip - P

powerchips always overclock well compared to others....the pcb also matters though :p

if i will buy 4giggs of Transcend RAM then ..which will be better :

2X2GB RAM modules or 4X1GB RAM modules ?

i will be not intested to add over 4GB .
yup .......i need a better PSU ..planning for VX450

sudarshan2884 said:
if i will buy 4giggs of Transcend RAM then ..which will be better :

2X2GB RAM modules or 4X1GB RAM modules ?

i will be not intested to add over 4GB .
yup .......i need a better PSU ..planning for VX450

2 ram modules usually are more stable to run and overclock compared to 4 sticks
when you have 4 you need to pump more volts for stability

so 2X2gb it is :)

sam000 said:
ImageShack - Hosting :: sany0156ii2.jpg

get this module if u wanna overclock transcend its a 2gb one
most cross 1000mhz look at the barcode(where it ends) their u can see
the letter P(powerchip).

And make sure its manufactured in 2008 (for some reason 2008 powerchips clock well :S )
note:currently hunting for these sticks

a powerchip ........well will try to get it only.

i was not knowing about that :no:

trying to get G.SKILL ..........if not then Transcend is on

Back