Need to build a PC - CPU, Mobo, GPU, Cabinet

abdelazeez

Disciple
Hey everyone,

I'm looking to get a good PC for myself in about a week's time.

Could you help me build a suitable configuration please? My budget's Rs. 15K approximately and I'm in Pune.

My requirements are:-
a. Gaming - I'm not too much of high-res extreme gaming freak, but I'd love to see most latest games like say Batman Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil5 etc. work well. A GPU with 3D support like the one offered by NVIDIA's 3D vision driver is necessary. (NVIDIA's web site says you need GeForce 8800 GTX or above, GeForce 9800 GT or above, or GeForce GTS 250 or better to support 3D Vision... I am not sure which one would fit in my budget)
b. If possible a 4.1 or a 5.1 audio output would be GREAT to have. But I don't want to shell out too much just to get that feature.
c. A good motherboard coupled with a good processor
d. RAM. (2GB?) Preferably DDR2 if the motherboard supports it.
e. HDD - What's the best deal I can get on this one?
f. Cooler/Cabinet to house all of the above. Could I use one of the basic ones from this list: Cooler Master Computer Cabinet Price in India - Cooler Master Elite, Cosomos, HAF 932, Sniper, stacker Cabinet cost

I've got a good LCD monitor and 2 DVD/CD writers from my existing PC that work pretty well, so I'm not planning on purchasing newer ones soon.

My budget for this is Rs. 15K, and I'll be glad if you could help me figure out what would really be termed VFM considering my requirements.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Cheers!

Re: Help: Need to build a PC - CPU, Mobo, GPU, Cabinet

what you need here is a CPU within 15k i suppose..

here you go then -

Proccy- AMD AthlonII X2 240 - 2.9k

M/B- Gigabyte GA-MA78GMUS2H - 4.6k

Ram- Transcend/Corsair 2GB 800MHz DDRII -2.2k

HDD- WD 250GB Blue 3.5" -2k

GPU- Palit 9800GT - 5.2k or Palit GTS 250 - 5.8k

Cabinet- Zebronics Bijili cabby w/o SMPS - 1.1k

PSU - Zebronics Pro 350w -1.5k

Micorsoft/Logitech combo - 0.7k

Total: 21.3k / 21.8k

here's a cheaper alternative but a bit old..

Proccy- Intel Dual Core E5300 -3.3k

M/B- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L -2.4k

Ram- Corsair CM2X2048-6400 2GB -2.2k

GPU-Sapphire HD 4670 512MB DDR-III [HDMI] -4.3k

Total -17.5k

Naveen already suggested a good config, I would recommend the same with minor changes:

Proccy- AMD AthlonII X2 240

M/B- Gigabyte GA-MA78GMUS2H

Ram- Corsair/Zion 2GB 800MHz DDRII

HDD- WD 250GB Blue

GPU- Sapphire 5670

Cabinet- Zebronics Bijili cabby w/o SMPS

PSU - Zebronics Pro 350w

Speakers: Creative 2.1 Ch

keyboard and mouse: Any el cheapo

Your budget is too limited to fit your requirement for gaming. Do increase your budget if you want a good rig.

Yep. You can rather spend more one time and than buy one by one. If you really can't go over that budget. It's always good to go with what naveen suggested.

Athlon X2 240 - 2925

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - 2475

Corsair 2 GB DDR2 - 2500

Asus M2N68-AMPLUS - 2300(Take out speakers and get a better mobo,or you've got to sacrifice here-Pretty decent mobo if you update the BIOS)

Keyboard & Mouse - 900

MSI/PowerColor Radeon 4670 - 4600

Zebronic Pro Series 350w - 1500

Speakers(Not much Knowledge) - 2000

Total: Rs.19200

Processor- Athlon II X4 620 - 5.1k
Mobo-Gigabyte 785GMT-UD2H - 5.3k
RAM-Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333 - 2.2k
Cabinet- CM Elite 310 - 1.5k
Total ~ 14.1k.
If u want PSU go for Gigabyte superb 460w - 2.2k/ Corsair VX450 - 3.9k

^ you forgot HDD + GPU + Keyboard & Mouse + you forgot to add PSU price to the Grand Total..:)

Guys aren't we forgetting something? OP hasnt mentioned his LCD's screen's size!!!

@ OP - What is the size of your LCD monitor? and at what resolution do you intend to game at? This plays a big part in selecting the perfect GPU for your needs.

Karthi007 said:
Guys aren't we forgetting something? OP hasnt mentioned his LCD's screen's size!!!

@ OP - What is the size of your LCD monitor? and at what resolution do you intend to game at? This plays a big part in selecting the perfect GPU for your needs.

Well the LCD Monitor I regularly use is a 16inch Aftron and I do plan on occasionally connecting the PC to my 27-inch LG TV (flatscreen, non LCD) but not too many times since its in a different room.

abdelazeez said:
Well the LCD Monitor I regularly use is a 16inch Aftron and I do plan on occasionally connecting the PC to my 27-inch LG TV (flatscreen, non LCD) but not too many times since its in a different room.
Then a ATI HD4670 is enuf for ur needs :)

To everyone,

Thanks a LOT for all your responses. I am very impressed with (and thankful to TE for) the good responses to my query; you guys really know what you're into.

OK so it seems from everyone's posts that 15K is not such a good budget to suit gaming requirements. However, since I was hoping to be play some of the latest games like Arkham Asylum and the likes (AND with this technology --> NVIDIA 3D Vision Discover or something similar if another GPU vendor like ATI offers it) but had no idea of how much even the minimum setup would cost, I had budgeted 15K thinking it would be enough.

Now I guess I have the following two choices:

a. Increase budget to say 20K (should be do-able if I can wait a few weeks) and purchase what you suggest in that budget? Also, would 20K fetch a decent Gaming rig?

b. Purchase everything now except the GPU in less than 15K and then get the GPU sometime later? But then, how much would a GPU that fits my requirements cost?

Thanks again for your help and time,

Karthi007 said:
Then a ATI HD4670 is enuf for ur needs :)

Great! How much would that cost? Whats the next best GPU (in terms of slightly higher budget and performance) after the ATI HD4670? Also, could you tell me what features (like Memory, Memory Interface, etc) one should look out for when buying a GPU?

Also, do you think a DX11 supported GPU would be a better investment and how much would that cost if I plan to buy it separately instead of with this rig?

I'm Google-ing to look for specs and reviews about ATI HD4670 right now. Thanks for the pointer :)

BTW are there two versions of the 4670? 512MB and 1GB? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLT0LgeCik0 and http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review/3)

^^ Yes, from that ATI 4670 512 MB is enough for your needs. And yes, you'll need to extend your budget to 20k.

I simply suggest HD5670 512MB GDDR5 @ 5.6k

Unbeatable price-point-feature wise..

comp@ddict said:
I simply suggest HD5670 512MB GDDR5 @ 5.6k

Unbeatable price-point-feature wise..

Thanks comp@ddict.

But are you sure of the price? XFX ATI Radeon HD 5670 Price in India - XFX ATI Radeon 5670 DirectX11 Graphics Card Prices says its 6.5K for 512MB model and 7,500/- for 1GB DDR5 version (Don't know when that article was published though.)

I'm trying to choose between Naveen's second config and hash's (but I don't need the speakers and CM Elite 310 + some PSU should be OK I think). I guess I'll have to extend my budget to 20K.

saqib_khan said:
^^ Thats 5513 + Taxes + shipping. You can get locally cheap compared to this IMO.

Yes I think you're right.

@everybody
Considering that the HD5670 is a DX11 compliant card, it could be a good investment today. BUT, (noob question) I am not very sure if the CPU would cause the a bottle-neck at the GPU (like I've read on some other posts on this forum).

I am thinking of adding the HD5670 512MB to the config that Naveen suggested above viz:

Proccy- Intel Dual Core E5300 -3.3k
M/B- Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L -2.4k
Ram- Corsair CM2X2048-6400 2GB -2.2k
GPU- HD5670 512MB GDDR5 @ 5.6k
Total -18.8K

I think this is what you've (Saqib) suggested as well.

OR I could take Hash's config and add the HD5670 plus the PSU and Cabinet from Naveen's config to make:

Athlon X2 240 - 2925
Asus M2N68-AMPLUS - 2300(Is the Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2 better than this one?)
Corsair 2 GB DDR2 - 2500
GPU- HD5670 512MB GDDR5 @ 5600
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB - 2475
Cabinet- Zebronics Bijili cabby w/o SMPS - 1100k
Zebronic Pro Series 350w - 1500

Keyboard & Mouse - 900
Total: 19,300​

Is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500GB at INR2.4K a better deal than WD 250GB Blue 3.5" at INR2K? Quality/Reliability-wise?

Also, I was wondering if in future suppose I decide to make use of the ATI Crossfire technology, are any of these two mobo's CrossFireX Ready? If not, then how much would such a mobo cost me?

Another question is, do I really need to invest in fancy (excuse me for that word) Cabinets and PSUs? The local ones cost about 700-800, so what could be such a big difference in price? Instead of the Cabinet+PSU, how about if I go for the HD5670 1GB GPU?

Regarding Hard disk, I trust only two companies, WD and Hitachi. I personally and my friends use Hitachi hard disks.

Motherboard: Both these motherboards don't support Crossfire. The cheapest crossfire motherboard will also cost 8k. So forget about crossfire.

Cabinet: Yes, you can go for local one cabinets also. Although other people would say no, but if you are on a tight budget then local ones e.g. Umax, Frontech, VIP are also good. You can go for them also. But just see that they are spacy and not compact. Check it personally.

Power supply: Go for Zebronics pro 350W minimum, even if you are on strict budget, using local power supplies is not recommended. You may end up frying your other components also.

Graphic card: 5670 512 MB is enough for your needs. Nowadays 512 MB or 1 GB is not so important. The difference between both versions is negligible. Or sometimes no also in some games. Its complicated but just take my words.

OK... I've heard good from other people about WD as well so I'll agree on that one. What would a WD 500GB HDD cost?

Mobo with Crossfire - Idea dropped like a hot (expensive :) ) cake

Cabinet - OK.. I'll try looking around for one of the local cabinets.. That'll help save some dough to spend somewhere else.

PSU - I'll keep the point about Zebronics pro 350W in mind. Won't take a local one IA.

GPU - Umm... if the difference in prices is not too much (Karthi pointed out INR5800), wouldn't it be a good investment to go for a 1GB card? It won't get outdated soon IMHO.. but then that observation's just coming from a noobie in the H/W domain. I suppose when I've got my hands dirty some more with H/W I'll have a much broader view of the pros and cons of investing in the 1GB. Could you maybe provide me a link or some online reference where I could go out and check the technical details somehow? I do have some good experience working with computers but somehow I've lately been out of touch of H/W.

Thanks again Karthi and Saqib. Any more advice on anything would be most appreciated.
saqib_khan said:
Regarding Hard disk, I trust only two companies, WD and Hitachi. I personally and my friends use Hitachi hard disks.

Motherboard: Both these motherboards don't support Crossfire. The cheapest crossfire motherboard will also cost 8k. So forget about crossfire.

Cabinet: Yes, you can go for local one cabinets also. Although other people would say no, but if you are on a tight budget then local ones e.g. Umax, Frontech, VIP are also good. You can go for them also. But just see that they are spacy and not compact. Check it personally.

Power supply: Go for Zebronics pro 350W minimum, even if you are on strict budget, using local power supplies is not recommended. You may end up frying your other components also.

Graphic card: 5670 512 MB is enough for your needs. Nowadays 512 MB or 1 GB is not so important. The difference between both versions is negligible. Or sometimes no also in some games. Its complicated but just take my words.

Back