Need to buy an Electric chimney

strategy

Skilled
Hello , the house is being repainted for Diwali, and we have come to a decision that an Electric chimney is a must.

* Kitchen is used a lot, our family is a join family, so gas stove usage is around 3 hours daily ( 3 Meals + tea +coffee + boiling milk , etc. )
* Kitchen size is 12'8" x 10'7" x 10'2" ( l x b x h ), chimney is to be placed along the length.
* a hole of dia 1'6" was being used as exhaust ( on the same wall as the stove ), it can now be used for the chimney.

Requirements
* easy maintenance
* easy to use and understand
* self cleaning ( if there is such a thing ).
* Serviceable locally ( not very complex in design, so that a local mechanic would not touch it , in case of repair )
* energy efficient ( optional, performance is the priority )

1. Location? There are individuals in almost every city who take AMCs for chimneys. They charge much less than the company and/or dealer. IMHO these individuals do better and thorough job
(coz their income depends on customer satisfaction, unlike the salaried employees)

2. Don't buy the chimney with wiremesh filters. instead buy the one with overlapping SS plates as filters. They trap the oil/grease from the fumes and let the hot air go to the fan.
Wiremesh filters get clogged up in relatively shorter duration, so frequent cleaning is required. SS [] shaped plates have more capacity to hold the oil/grease.

I have this one
GL 6002 SSSLBF : Smart and elegant stainless steel chimney | Chimney Hood | Kitchen Chimney Hoods | Designer Chimney | Design Of Steel Chimney | Glen Kitchen Appliances Pvt. Ltd.

Avoid wiremesh eg
GL 6001 SSSLCF : Smart And Elegant Stainless Steel Chimney | Designer Chimney | Design Of Steel Chimney | Range Hood Chimney |Electric Kitchen Chimney | Glen Kitchen Appliances Pvt. Ltd.

3. Try to avoid glass outer part/desgin. Though it looks awesome the showroom, it looks really uncool with little bit of grease on it.
and with indian recipes, some fumes are bound to escape the chimney's suction area.
Your Mom / wife will end up cleaning it every third day ( and start hating you as well as the chimney :D )

4. for regular non veg deep frying, buy a powerful chimney. eg mine has airflow of 750 m3/hr. just about OK for diwali frying marathons

IMO Chimneys are not as efficient as normal exhaust fan. i'm not discouraging you, just the experience.
Chimney is good at sucking the fumes coming right at it, but fails to suck in the fumes that are just out side it area.

If you cook lot of foods with deep and shallow frying, you'll probably need fan and chimney. I know it sound funny.
but take it from me , in diwali preparations I miss that dear old exhaust fan.

Chimneys make lot of noise, higher than exhaust fan.

If ladies are planning to use the bulbs in the chimney regularly, get the model with LED lamps.
Mine has 80 W filament bulbs :O

Hope this helps.

PS Don't buy chimneys which come free ( or heavily discounted) with gas stove etc eg in Big bazzar etc.
Mostly, they are the non selling models.

1. Chhattisgarh, a small town. ambikapur. very small town.

OK points noted.

yeah the usage will be heavy.

what are the good companies that make them ?

thanks for the pointers :D

What about power cuts?

Faber is the big boy. Glen also advertises a lot.

Whatever you buy check the warranty card's fine print. Some companies like (Faber) insist that the warranty would be valid only if the installation is done by their own company's technician. In such cases if the dealer's person installs it the warranty would be void.

went to check around.

found a dealer. He sells Kutchina and Glen, he is the dealer o both and service center for Kutchina.

Kutchina : Lifetime warranty for motor, 1 year on other stuff. Auto-clean ( heats the parts inside, collects oil in a cup)

Glen : Bufer filter, no auto clean, 1 year warranty .

Am leaning towards Kutchina, he says its good. And Specs for them is also better

Models available
Kutchina :
3' model : 1500 cubic meter / hr, 56dba noise level, 286 Watt. : Rs. 25000
2' model ( better looking ) : 1200 cubic meter /Hr , 46 dba noise level , 312 watt ( more watts but quiter ) : Rs.15000

2.5' model : 1200 cubic meter/Hr, 56 dba noise level , 286 watt : Rs.16000

Glen
3' model 19K , 1200 cubic meter/hr, 64 dba noise level
2' model 12k , 1000 cubic meter/hr, 60 dba noise level

there is a model with external motor which will ( obviously ) produce less noise ( inside)

so , is the price good , i dont mind the price , but i dont want to waste money. performance is preference though.

Back