Need to connect net to my TV

panther

Adept
Hello,

I want to connect net to my TV, i have adsl modem/router (MTNL), my space is 2100 sq feet, the problem is modem/router is on end and the tv on the other, i don't know which type of ethernet cable do i need and don't know the wiring pin out, to connect it from my modem to my tv, the wire will go via outdoor through terrace, i think 50 meter of wire will be sufficient. Let me know please

Thanks.

Take a ball of string and tie it at either modem or monitor end and roll it out to the other end as u would roll out the cable, then cut and measure the string , u will know exactly how much cable you will require

As far as cabling goes you require ordinary cat 5 cable as your modem router will support max 100 Mbps , you require rj45 pin outs at tv end and these need to be parrallel i.e straight cable

As far as cabling goes you require ordinary cat 5 cable as your modem router will support max 100 Mbps , you require rj45 pin outs at tv end and these need to be parrallel i.e straight cable

Thanks manish, would like to know how to protect it from lighting, will cat 6 work?

Cat 6 is for running 1 gbps lines they have no lightning protection as such, best protection from lightning is real ground , I don't know if you have that at your place but if you do you can just loop a copper wire somewhere along your cat 5 and just connect it to real ground or earthing as it is known also connect all your electronics to the earthing in that case, if you have a new tv then most of them have esd built into them and they work well enough.

First, check if your TV needs a special WiFi card for Internet or has a LAN port. If you can, shift the TV temporarily to the ADSL router and check. Once that is done, go ahead with the wire requirement. Firstly, keep a few metres extra on both ends, and ensure that you tie the wire to the terrace properly. As to lightning protection, as long as there is a lightning rod or something equivalent, you should be safe, however, it would be better if you put a switch before the wire touches your TV. Worst case, the switch should be destroyed.

Optionally, look at WiFi repeater and the like, they will give you full coverage in the house as well as on the TV - making it a win win.

If your tv is a modern one then esd protection circuits are built in , in case not installing a switch won't make much difference as a surge will fry the power chip on the tv end and switch end simultaneously, better course would be to disconnect your tv's power cord and lan cable altogether during lightning, secondly rather than moving ur tv just disconnect the router and bring it near the tv and interface with a lab cable if it detects a network connection then internet will also work definitely. I agree with Vivek that a repeater makes sense with coverage in mind , however you will have to get one with rj45 ports in it or use a regular wifi router in repeater mode.
One more thing comes to mind rather than going for the solution u have in mind you can opt for a raspberry htpc or a Intel compute stick as this will give you additional functionality with a full pc interface on the tv with wifi connectivity saving you the hassle of wiring altogether

First, check if your TV needs a special WiFi card for Internet or has a LAN port. If you can, shift the TV temporarily to the ADSL router and check. Once that is done, go ahead with the wire requirement. Firstly, keep a few metres extra on both ends, and ensure that you tie the wire to the terrace properly. As to lightning protection, as long as there is a lightning rod or something equivalent, you should be safe, however, it would be better if you put a switch before the wire touches your TV. Worst case, the switch should be destroyed.

Optionally, look at WiFi repeater and the like, they will give you full coverage in the house as well as on the TV - making it a win win.

If your tv is a modern one then esd protection circuits are built in , in case not installing a switch won't make much difference as a surge will fry the power chip on the tv end and switch end simultaneously, better course would be to disconnect your tv's power cord and lan cable altogether during lightning, secondly rather than moving ur tv just disconnect the router and bring it near the tv and interface with a lab cable if it detects a network connection then internet will also work definitely. I agree with Vivek that a repeater makes sense with coverage in mind , however you will have to get one with rj45 ports in it or use a regular wifi router in repeater mode.
One more thing comes to mind rather than going for the solution u have in mind you can opt for a raspberry htpc or a Intel compute stick as this will give you additional functionality with a full pc interface on the tv with wifi connectivity saving you the hassle of wiring altogether

My Tv does have Wifi it is a Sony HX925 2012 Model, i cannot use wifi as mtnl does not allow two modem to operate at once, and my space is big don't think so any one wifi router signal can reach the TV. so wiring seem to be best option at this time.

My Tv does have Wifi it is a Sony HX925 2012 Model, i cannot use wifi as mtnl does not allow two modem to operate at once, and my space is big don't think so any one wifi router signal can reach the TV. so wiring seem to be best option at this time.

Actually, are you from Mumbai or Delhi? Secondly, read up on range extenders - this will clear your misconception about 2 modems :p

Back