Need to upgrade CPU+Motherboard+RAM

baccilus

Skilled
Q: What is your budget?
Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
Please read the Signature
Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
Monitor - Samsung 2233SW
SMPS - Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W
Cabinet, Hard disks (WD Black 1TB), Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard

Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
CPU - AMD 955/965BE
Motherboard - any compatible motherboard with USB 3 and SATA 6GB
GPU - AMD HD 4670

Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
Yes, will upgrade the following within 6 months
SMPS - 600W
Graphic card-AMD HD 6850/6870 or 7 series one around 10K
Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
Chandigarh, probably from Lynx
Open to online purchase-Yes
Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
Yes
Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
Gaming
Some protein modeling softwares
Genome wide association studies-it is CPU intensive, e.g. 100 factors are correlated with 500,000 other factors
Browsing
Desktop Processing
Watching HD movies-Will connect it to an HDTV
Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike?
No
Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
FPS-BF3
Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
Gaming - 1920X1080. can game on lower resolutions too
Desktop - 1920X1080
Q: Are you looking to overclock?
Yes, have been running the current system overclocked for years now
Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
Windows 7 64 bit-only for gaming
Linux - Ubuntu-for everything else, therefore would probably have to get an nVidia card

Please note that I will get this in the first week of November

^^

Are you serious, you want to upgrade to an E.o.L package [AM3 chip socket], better hold to your current configuration and save up, atleast upgrade to Intel's Sandy-Bridge standard Sire, no real upgrade it will be otherwise.

Else if this is your only option, get the following --

AMD Phenom IIx6 1055 / 1075T / 1090T ~ 7500/- OR 8800/- OR 9500/- [as you said CPU intensive tasking of protein structure prediction will also be engaged, the Thuban is your safest bet]

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 ~ 4800/- OR ASUS M4A88T-M ~ 4600/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard [cheapest boards available for you, ASUS one comes with better over-clocking feature set and more ergonomic BIOS]

Corsair XMS3 4GB x 1 ~ 1600/-

Seasonic S12D 520W ~ 3500/- [upgrade your SMPS ASAP, I will not recommend risking brand new hardware on an old eXtreme series SMPS, also for over-clock you'll need some breathing space]

Later you can add a nVidia GTX 560 Ti OR similar performance graphics card, when needed.

Hope this helps, Sire.

Will an overclocked 1090T be equivalent to a stock 1100T?

I think even buying a 1090T for 9K+RAM for 3K will leave around 6K for the Motherboard. Please suggest a motherboard too.I had been dragging on with my present configuration in anticipation of the Bulldozer but see no point in getting one now. And unfortunately an Intel rig is still out of budget.

ALPHA17 said:
Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 ~ 4800/- OR ASUS M4A88T-M ~ 4600/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!ASUS M4A88T-M AM3 AMD 880G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard [cheapest boards available for you, ASUS one comes with better over-clocking feature set and more ergonomic BIOS]

I have already given the motherboard in the first post, but here I quote them again.

Also for performance, the AMD 1090T and 1100T are essentially the same chips at stock with a difference in speed of ~ 100 MHz, so rest assured, you will get the same performance. Here you go -- AnandTech - Bench - CPU.

Hope this helps, Sire.

According to Anandtech comparison, AMD 1090T is faster than an i5 2400 in most of the benchmarks and slower only in games. Even in games I really doubt it would bottleneck any mainstream graphic card. So I think I will go with this processor only. CPU better than this would be the i5 2500 which will cost me around 22K at least.

BTW, is there any 6GB/s board in this range?

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

And does the Gigabyte board have any specific advantage. Features are quite similar and Asus is cheaper. Which should I go for between the two you have suggested?

And is this board available anywhere in India:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

^^ The newer AM3+ based 9** series chip-sets will be more expensive in general, and they offer no real incentive to you apart from memory support upto 1866 MHz by default and nVidia SLi @ 8x 8. Thus said, even a 880G based motherboard will suit you well. Also haven't seen these motherboards in the market yet, so no clue.

As for the rest Sire, I really like ASUS products but Rashi's crap RMA treatment makes it hard to recommend. So I'll but my chips on Gigabyte on this one until you want to run the gauntlet with ASUS.

The Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H ~ 4800/- http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3632#ov [has both SATA III and USB 3.0 support], but availability is spotty. So keep your ears pricked for any news on this board.

This Gigabyte board seems perfect. Since I am open to buying online, can you suggest someone who has this in stock. I will go to lynx too today and seeif he can get it for me.

If you want SATA III support, you cannot go for the Gigabyte board. I have one and it has support for SATA II only, as it has the SB710. If you need SATA III, you will need to go with a SB8 series board at least, but the price difference between them then and 9 series board is not much~2K.

If you plan on using a SSD then go with SB 8/9 series boards, else this is perfect for most HDD as they cannot saturate the SATA II b/w. However SATA layout is bad, but its not a very big problem.

My board specs : http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3809

Also, it has memory support for 1866 Mhz (OC)

@vivek: Do you suggest the board that you are using, the GA-880GM-USB3 one? It is SB710 too, isn't it. But otherwise the board seems really good.

Although I wont be buying an SSD for at least an year, I will be using this configuration for at least 3-4 years. So I may add an SSD when they become a little cheaper. Won't they work on the SATA II ports?

This seems Perfect too:

Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3

If it is not available I will probably get http://www.gigabyte.in/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3811#sp or the MSI one that ALPHA has posted.

This seems Perfect too:
Gigabyte GA-880GMA-USB3

If it is not available I will probably get GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket AM3+ - GA-880G-USB3 (rev. 3.1) or the MSI one that ALPHA has posted.

Back