Audio Need upgraded replacement for ES18

phunguus

Disciple
I had been using Sound Magic's ES18 for 1.5years. It's left channel started cracking 2 weeks back and its completely dead now. So im looking for a similar VFM earphones with an added mic. I liked the way the ES18 sounded and if i don't get anything else, i might as well get another pair of the same.

Budget is 1.5k max.

Suggestions please. :)

You can look out for Cowon Em1 with mic around 1k-1.2k

If you are comfortable buying from abroad then get Brainwavz R1 Dual Dynamic Speaker Earphone with Mic from http://www.mp4nation.net

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-...phone-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destinations

You can get it for around US $29.5 after applying the 10% discount coupon "4THJULY2014" & extra discount of $2 for 100 point spent [which you may get on registration]

discount of 10% valid till today only i.e. 6th july 2014
Customs Duty levied separately

I booked without mic version for myself on 4th july @ US $24.55 converted to Rs.1467/-

You can look out for Cowon Em1 with mic around 1k-1.2k

If you are comfortable buying from abroad then get Brainwavz R1 Dual Dynamic Speaker Earphone with Mic from http://www.mp4nation.net

http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-...phone-free-fedex-2-day-to-select-destinations

You can get it for around US $29.5 after applying the 10% discount coupon "4THJULY2014" & extra discount of $2 for 100 point spent [which you may get on registration]

discount of 10% valid till today only i.e. 6th july 2014
Customs Duty levied separately

I booked without mic version for myself on 4th july @ US $24.55 converted to Rs.1467/-

Hey. thanks for the reply man. I, for sure, missed the mp4 nation's deal. I haven't really used over the ear IEMs before so don't know how comfortable/hassle free i would be with a pair. As for cowon, that's a nice option. Only thing i'll need to check is the ruggedness of the earphones.

Nevertheless thanks for replying. :)

Hey. thanks for the reply man. I, for sure, missed the mp4 nation's deal. I haven't really used over the ear IEMs before so don't know how comfortable/hassle free i would be with a pair. As for cowon, that's a nice option. Only thing i'll need to check is the ruggedness of the earphones.

Nevertheless thanks for replying. :)

Even now you can get Brainwavz R1 by spending $2 more Use 5% Fan page discount ;)

Cowon Em1's built is definitely better than Sm ES18

Ok i have 3 options now:-
1. Cowon EM-1 - Rs. 1149
2. Sennheiser CX 275s - Rs. 1590
3. Xiaomi Pistons - Rs. 1599 - available on ebay.in

Right now im more inclined towards the CX 275s (primarily because of the 2 year warranty and the brand name) but the only reason that's keeping me from ordering a pair is the lack of volume controls in the remote. This is also precisely why the Xiaomi Pistons are in the list. The thing with Pistons that is many of the online sellers are selling fakes.
Can any one of you experienced ebay buyers have a look at the ebay listing and confirm if it looks genuine?
If the answer is no, then i'll most probably go with the Sennheiser CX275s.
Also @xtremevicky what phone are you using with the 275s? Also, is there a shirt clip included?

Edit: Read this extensive review on The WireCutter and they've given the most VFM earphones title to Panasonic RP TCM 125K (available on flipkart for 800+50(shipping). Comments?

Last edited:
I am using with N5 and S3. I use them to speak on the phone , listen to music and podcasts. They are quite balanced.

I have Braiwavz Alpha and Beta and this in this price range and I prefer these because they have a brilliant fit in my ear. Its my go to earphones.

I am using with N5 and S3. I use them to speak on the phone , listen to music and podcasts. They are quite balanced.

I have Braiwavz Alpha and Beta and this in this price range and I prefer these because they have a brilliant fit in my ear. Its my go to earphones.
I had read that some of the ear ph + mic devices have their input pins reversed(I guess Apple has the reversed connector if the Nokia is taken as the standard)
What happens if I buy the ear ph but it does not work with my Moto G?

I had a ear ph + mic gear supplied with my LG Optimus One P500. It did not work when I hooked it up with a Nokia phone.

Waaaay out of my budget...I have a very bad reputation in handling and caring for items. So I always try to spend only as much as i am ready to lose.
Hmm, Okay,

Consider these : both under 1K
1) Sennheiser MX 170 Earbud
2) Sennheiser CX180 Street II

main advantage is if you break them, you get direct replacement, and thats for 2 years ;)

Hmm, Okay,

Consider these : both under 1K
1) Sennheiser MX 170 Earbud
2) Sennheiser CX180 Street II

main advantage is if you break them, you get direct replacement, and thats for 2 years ;)
Both nice VFM options but neither of these fulfil my requirements.
MX 170 because i prefer IEMs over earbuds because of the much superior noise isolation.
CX180 because im looking for a mic too. :)

Okay,

But I suggest you to go without Mic.

Because at this price range of within 1K, most of the earphones that come with mic may break down soon due to poor construction.

I think there is an offering by Panasonic, named RP-HJE 120 or something, and other offerings from other manufacturers check it please.

Back