PC Peripherals Need UPS to handle the system load.

Hey everyone!

I am in search of a new UPS for my PC with the following specs:

CPU: Intel i5 3570k oc'd 4.2 Ghz
MoBo: Asus p8z77 m-pro
GPU: Asus ATI R9 390x
RAM: 2 x 8 GB DDR3 2133 Mhz
SSD: 250 GB SAmsung Evo 850
HDD1: 2 TB Seagate
HDD2: 2 TB Seagate
HDD3: 1 TB Enterprise black WD
HDD4: 1 TB WD green
FANS: 8
KB: Corsair K70 RGB
MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma
PSU: EVGA supernova 850 W Modular

I want a UPS which is able to give me atleast 20 minutes of backup on load and 30-40 minutes on normal usage. Plus it should be able to handle voltage fluctuations and should not let my pc reset during such events.

No brands preference. Though, I have had a very bad experience with APC around 10 years ago.Any and every advice would be useful.
Thanks

apc sua1500i which has internal batteries.
If you want longer backup or if there is power cuts occasionally ,then get a sua1000uxi with a pair of external tubular batteries like exide EL 40ah capacity they will last 4 to 5 years easily.

Both the above ups are from smart series which are better then the regular apc back up/pro ups.

Actually I have had a bad experience with APC but if their service has improved then I won't shy away from buying it again.
I already have a 150 AH battery, can i use it with UPS to get more backup? Its already connected to home inverter though.

Actually I have had a bad experience with APC but if their service has improved then I won't shy away from buying it again.
I already have a 150 AH battery, can i use it with UPS to get more backup? Its already connected to home inverter though.

You can use it but you have to balance load. That battery might be set up to run X number of tube-lights, Y number of fans and Z number of other devices for few hours.

APC service has improved a lot since 2010 when I used to take my APC 600VA UPS to APC Service Center myself for repair or replacement but when I bought a APC BR1000G-IN 2 months ago where I found my UPS center button to be faulty and I dialed APC Toll free number and a service guy came to my house in the morning to check my UPS and returned in the evening with a sealed pack unit and took away the faulty unit.

So APC service have indeed improved a lot since 2010.

http://outervision.com/b/z2tYjp
Your whole system recommended PSU wattage is 568w and recommeded UPS rating is 1000VA. So its better to go with either APC BR-1000G-IN or APC BX1100C-IN.

APC BR-1000G-IN Link:https://www.theitdepot.com/details-APC+Back+UPS+1000+(BR1000G-IN)_C37P14239.html
APC BX1100C-IN Link:https://www.theitdepot.com/details-APC+Back+UPS+1100+(BX1100C-IN)_C37P26519.html

Last edited:
Is Your inverter a pure sinewave or a square wave based one.
Only smart ups ,symantra from apc are pure sine wave output ,all the other basic apc models are modified square wave.

With modiefied sinewave the inductive load such has your psu may hum and may run hotter depending on the design of the psu.

Last edited:
Is Your inverter a pure sinewave or a square wave based one.
Only smart ups ,symantra from apc are pure sine wave output ,all the other basic apc models are modified square wave.

With modiefied sinewave the inductive load such has your psu may hum and may run hotter depending on the design of the psu.

Nopes. My inverter is a simple one.
Earlier when my PSU was CX600, I was able to continue using system even being in a game if there was a power cut, but after this new PSU EVGA G1 Supernova fully modular switch doesn't happen and every time system restarts even if there is a voltage fluctuation.

Power cut here is very rare, like once a day of about 10-20 minutes but voltage fluctuations are constant like once in every 2-3 hours.

@bssunilreddy that's a great review. Helped me build my confidence into APC to good extent.

A servo stabilizer should take care of the voltage fluctuation better then any ups.But your system is restarting because the current PSU doesn't have large capacitors to handle the slower switching time of home inverters.
A computer UPS will switch faster and it will also stabilize the voltage but not as good as a servo stabilizer.

That apc model BR1000G is not a pure sinewave model and its a 1000va model but the Power factor is only .6 which is only 600watts meaning a 60% efficiency.
The smart UPS model such as the SUA1000uxi is also a 1000va but its power factor is .8 which is 800watts meaning 80% efficient.
The sua models are built like a tank.

Actually the models which you have suggested are going way out of my budget as I don't intend to take long backup from the UPS. I just need some time to close all current tasks and shut the computer down properly.
I think a backup of 10-15 minutes would be more than enough for me.

For the power factor, I think if I run my system at stock it won't be demanding more than 600W.
What do you say!
I want to be below 10k for UPS with battery. If it possible to attach a UPS with inverter battery (150 AH) then also within 10K without battery.

All apc 1000Va models require 2 batteries so you cannot use your single 12v 150AH battery.
If you just need enough time to shutdown computer then BR1000G should be adequate.

I would (edit: generally) pick an APC 1500VA model since that's what a Radeon 290 and 390 need. The 1000VA can only handle 600 Watts in a system while the 1500VA can handle 865 Watts. These are the specifications of the older APC Back-UPS RS systems which are not pure sinewave.

Edit: As @adder mentioned, this 1000VA model is ok upto 800 Watts but you have a 850 Watt PSU. The maximum power output from the PSU would be 800 Watts at maximum load so if your system draws more than 800 Watts (850 Watt PSU + monitor) there could be problems but the problems are unlikely since 750 Watts may be the maximum your system needs:
http://www.amazon.in/APC-SUA1000UXI-1000va-800w-Smart/dp/B00B71S6Q6

Last edited:
I have still been unable to decide on the purchase.
So in my searches I have found that my PSU has an active PFC which would need pure sine wave UPS for efficient and better working.
My searches on google for pure sine wave UPS are giving results like Luminous / Microtek / Exide pure sine wave inverter/UPS for mere 5-7K for 1-1.5 kva.
With adding 150AH battery it will be atmost 15000. But an APC pure sine wave UPS without the battery would cost 15000.

So my question is, are those inverter/ups not capable of switching instantly in case of a power cut? Are they using name UPS just to lure the customers ?
Is APC SUA1000UXI worth the cost?

APC BR1000G-IN @ 7.5k is more than enough for your system.

PS: My PSU is Seasonic M12II 620w & I am using APC BR1000G-IN UPS which is working great till now.

APC BR1000G-IN @ 7.5k is more than enough for your system.

PS: My PSU is Seasonic M12II 620w & I am using APC BR1000G-IN UPS which is working great till now.
You seem to always recommend some Cyberpower 1000va model then how come you using an APC?? Dint get that.

I have still been unable to decide on the purchase.
So in my searches I have found that my PSU has an active PFC which would need pure sine wave UPS for efficient and better working.
My searches on google for pure sine wave UPS are giving results like Luminous / Microtek / Exide pure sine wave inverter/UPS for mere 5-7K for 1-1.5 kva.
With adding 150AH battery it will be atmost 15000. But an APC pure sine wave UPS without the battery would cost 15000.

So my question is, are those inverter/ups not capable of switching instantly in case of a power cut? Are they using name UPS just to lure the customers ?
Is APC SUA1000UXI worth the cost?
Most inverters don't switch fast enough,that means even modem/routers can restart they also don't do voltage stabilization.
They use the name ups because people will understand what it is.

I have been using apc 1000uxi to power the entire house(lighting circuit only but includes pc/router,lcd tvs,led bulbs,ceiling/exhaust fans,air cooler) for the past 6 years.This way all the connected electrical devices gets stabilized voltage.

Last edited:
Most inverters don't switch fast enough,that means even modem/routers can restart they also don't do voltage stabilization.
They use the name ups because people will understand what it is.

I have been using apc 1000uxi to power the entire house(lighting circuit only but includes pc/router,lcd tvs,led bulbs,ceiling/exhaust fans,air cooler) for the past 6 years.This way all the connected electrical devices gets stabilized voltage.
Which battery are you using?

Back