Net Neutrality - and India

soulweaver

Nice is Free
Patron
With all the hoopla about Net Neutrality (rightfully so), what do you think are going to be the effects for us in India? The internet is the one things that seems to be binding us all, and I am certain that whatever is decided in the US will surely trickle down to us here.

Firms like Airtel (and even jio with all it's services) which are already overzealously and overtly money grubbing and cheating will jump on to the same business model, and I am afraid that the Indian government (irrespective of which political party is foisted upon us) will blindly ape the US in matters like this.

What's worse is we do not have as many people in the ruling class that know much about technology and how it works, will not be too worried about the ramifications as long as they have money in their pockets and power in their hands.

And, I want to put it out there that Ajit Pai is an insufferable d*ck!

It won't work in India. There's no solidarity in companies here. Look at Jio and what they did.

One or two companies would try to start premium lanes, but some new start-up company will come and try to grab customers as much as possible and give no holds internet. That means losing customers and income in an already saturated market in cities. (No one except BSNL has fibre in small towns and villages).

Promoting Jio apps is against net neutrality. Not as they do now. In 6 months' time, those apps are going to get prefrential treatment.

Promoting Jio apps is against net neutrality. Not as they do now. In 6 months' time, those apps are going to get prefrential treatment.
Promoting jio apps is not agains net neutrality. Giving them preferential treatment for data transfer (eg fast lanes or not counting their data use) is considered as a violation of net neutrality. Blocking its competitors or throttling their access is also a violation of net neutrality.

There has been some posts saying that Title II was actually harming NN. Any posts which are not pro-Ajit-dick-shit-Pai for the same?

Secondly, I feel that zero rating/higher speeds for Jio app usage will not be counted against NN on Jio network only.

Considering the privilege will be extended to around 50 lakh Jio users, any preference to Jio apps will force content providers like movie houses, TV channels, music creators to join hands with Jio and provide them content on their terms.

Airtel, if I remember correctly, came under fire for not counting data usage in its own apps or something like that. I am only hoping that India does not follow the same lines that US is taking. And, even if the telcom operators are not united, they will try and use it to promote their own apps. The ones with the highest user-base then wins.

Agreed that there might be a new start-up which would crop-up to provide neutral access. I suppose there is an advantage to not being a fully internet mature market.

Especially considering the eye-opening statement about the rural markets. I was not thinking in those lines.

Airtel, if I remember correctly, came under fire for not counting data usage in its own apps or something like that. I am only hoping that India does not follow the same lines that US is taking. And, even if the telcom operators are not united, they will try and use it to promote their own apps. The ones with the highest user-base then wins.

Agreed that there might be a new start-up which would crop-up to provide neutral access. I suppose there is an advantage to not being a fully internet mature market.

Especially considering the eye-opening statement about the rural markets. I was not thinking in those lines.

Was not aware of Airtel discounting the data usage to zero. Link?

There has been some posts saying that Title II was actually harming NN. Any posts which are not pro-Ajit-dick-shit-Pai for the same?

Secondly, I feel that zero rating/higher speeds for Jio app usage will not be counted against NN on Jio network only.

Considering the privilege will be extended to around 50 lakh Jio users, any preference to Jio apps will force content providers like movie houses, TV channels, music creators to join hands with Jio and provide them content on their terms.

Was not aware of Airtel discounting the data usage to zero. Link?

http://www.businesstoday.in/sectors...irtel-reliance-jio-earnings/story/264999.html

There were older articles I read in newspapers, but I could not find them online. With so much news these days, I am not sure I would be successful in finding an article that came up almost a year and a half or two ago.

You will find none. Many of the comments on FCC public comment system made in favor of repealing NN were found to be made in the name of dead people and old people. Seem many of them myself. Its being investigated and Ajit Pai himself can find himself in a criminal misconduct case over it.

Back