Netbook as a desktop replacement

Hi guys,

Apologies if a similar thread was raised before - How good is a netbook as a desktop replacement? I use my desktop mainly for working on MS Office, internet, and listening to music or playing videos. No hard core gaming or anything. Is the Intel Atom processor good enough for such usage scenarios? Any particular netbook which you guys would recommend ?

Thanks!
- DK

yup i am using my samsung netbook as a desktop replacement for quite some time now (havent started my PC for last 2 months). atom can easily handle office, i generally have 3-4 applications running simultaneously with no problem (office, firefox, winamp and IDM) just remember to add more ram to it :)

For normal MS Office, internet, and basic multimedia work, netbook with Atom is more than enough. The main problem with a netbook though is the lower resolution and smaller screen size that makes it not so comfortable to use for long hours for work that needs concentration. Any specific reason you are considering netbook rather than an entry level laptop?

Only the screen size and resolution is the restriction. This can be overcome with an additional monitor. It will also me more energy efficient. Other all your applications will run properly.

It is more of a Desktop companion rather than a replacement.

Thank you everyone. My old desktop died and I still have the monitor, keyboard/mouse and external dvd writer with me. So the netbook seemed to be the most economical option to me. From the responses, looks like I dont have to worry about any performance issues.

Definitely, after getting my netbook both my desktop and laptop and just lying collecting dust. Although if you use Word Processing software alot then maybe you should consider the type of keyboard the netbook has (chicklet, island style etc)

Back