Netbook/Notebook for parents

nfsfan

Adept
I am going to shift out of my native city after a few months now, and was thinking about getting a netbook/notebook for my parents.

Their tasks are basically mundane ones. Web browsing, word, power point, movies( at max 720p) , video chat etc : that almost sums it up.

I suppose a netbook can come good for that, but a screen size@ 1024x600 makes me think that excessive scrolling would have to be done.

I haven't used a netbook before, so I am not sure of what to expect from them. If there are cheap notebook options for such usage, then I would be game for them as well.

Please suggest some options for these requirements. Not looking to buy immediately, and can wait if the latest pinetrail are yet to launch(i suppose samsung has got the n450 models), or if ion models would be any good.

An option for 2GB RAM, and no OS ( I still have my college copy of win 7 ), would be great.

If portability is not a concern, I suggest not to get a netbook if it is for your parents. Small screen size will make it difficult for not-so-young people to use a netbook. BTW, what is your budget? Suggestions will depend a lot no that.

dennis_nail said:
If portability is not a concern, I suggest not to get a netbook if it is for your parents. Small screen size will make it difficult for not-so-young people to use a netbook. BTW, what is your budget? Suggestions will depend a lot no that.

Budget: thinking of keeping it as low as possible. Thats because, they are not going to do any cpu intensive stuff. But i think that you are right on what you said about netbook screen sizes.

saw the emachines eme775 today. comes for around 24k when u add 1gb extra ram to it. although the set was huge, i did not quite like the plastic parts. any experiences on emachines fellas?

If you don't need portability. you can have a look at Asus EeeBox PC B202

Model Name Eee Box B202

Operating System Genuine Windows® XP Home

GNU Linux

Intel CPU & Chipset Intel Atom N270 & Intel chipset

Ethernet Communication Gbt. LAN

Memory 1GB

Wireless Data Network WLAN: 802.11 b/g/n

Storage 80GB/120GB /160GB

Storage Cards SD/SDHC/MS/MS Pro

Input / Output DVI-Out / USB×4(2 in front, 2 in rear)

Dimensions 223×178×26 mm (without stand)

Infusion White, Black

costs about 8k

More info:

http://event.asus.com/eeepc/microsites/eeebox/en/

nfsfan said:
saw the emachines eme775 today. comes for around 24k when u add 1gb extra ram to it. although the set was huge, i did not quite like the plastic parts. any experiences on emachines fellas?

Yes, its quality is not good. And the price also you are quoting is somewhat high. It should be available for 23k. Or less then that. I would recommend you to look at Compaq CQ 40 641TU Its price is around 28k. Best VFM.

Options:

1. Samsung n128 : 15k arnd

2. samsung n148: 15k arnd

3. wind u210: 18k on ebay

4. emachines eme 725: 23k

5. samsung r518(same config as emachines): 25k , but no idea on availability

Preferring samsung as I think they have door to door warranty.

Looked at the netbook screens today, and the readability was ok for me. Will test a friends netbook for longer usage now. The same laptop is also going to be used for torrenting(although thats a piece of cake for any processor), so the atom helps in lower power consumption. And the performance of atom was good enough for my parents.

If screen size is not an issue for your parents, then I would recommend Samsung N140 or N148. I have a N140 and I am happy with its build quality, screen and battery life. Perfect for my need for casual surfing and SD movies.

But have a look at N148 in detail. It has better processor than N140, but a different keyboard as compared to N140. Also, you will have to install an OS on that.

But I suppose N128 should be available for 13-13.5 K. If bluetooth and sound quality is not important for you, you can go for that also and save some money.

msi wind u210 @16k comes with a 12.1 inch screen and the ati 1270 onboard can handle the movies at 720p.

staying away from amd mv-40 for now. All reviews indicate heat problems.

Will have to look into CULV processors now. the link that vishal gave was helpful indeed!

^^nfsfan. to be honest, I dont think you should buy a netbook for your parents. Netbooks are good for us but for parents, I dont think so, because of the very small screen size, I think sometimes they will have trouble reading it. The main thing thats compelling me against netbooks, it their screensize. Why dont you up your budget and buy a notebook, even a cheap notebook with Dual core, 2 GB RAM, 14" and 160 GB HD is enough for you. Try to find models with these config in companies like Compaq, acer, zenith. Just my 2 cents.

saqib_khan said:
^^nfsfan. to be honest, I dont think you should buy a netbook for your parents. Netbooks are good for us but for parents, I dont think so, because of the very small screen size, I think sometimes they will have trouble reading it. The main thing thats compelling me against netbooks, it their screensize. Why dont you up your budget and buy a notebook, even a cheap notebook with Dual core, 2 GB RAM, 14" and 160 GB HD is enough for you. Try to find models with these config in companies like Compaq, acer, zenith. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the advice. Notebook plan was dropped today itself. Will be going out tomorrow to see some laptops.

msi wind u210 will b a good option . comparitively with a 2 year warranty . n with moderate featuers , as no high end processing is required by ur parents, looks a good deal. am eyeing one 4 my dad too.

Back