Network backup with Windows 8/10

vbhoj74

Disciple
I was looking for a network backup utility and found that an apple time machine like feature was built into windows 8 onwards which is called File History (Control Panel). I was amazed to see how easy it was to setup & use, it not only keeps a backup of my folders, it keeps deleted versions of the files too. Hope someone here finds this helpful.

It does work for the most part, but I have had a love-hate relationship with it wherein there are instances that the older versions of the file is not archived accordingly and/or is already corrupted [unusable]. Another dilemma [though a minor one], is would it consume a lot of space to backup all those iterations of the files you are working on?

I have a similar experience with File History. There are times even that a recently saved version is not saved properly and when you need to retrieve it, the file is corrupt. It's imperfect, and as with most non-essential Windows functions, you are better served to find a 3rd party application that is more dedicated for that purpose.

Back