Network which claims (Also gets notices) to be the fastest in India actually ranks 147th globally

swatkats

Skilled
Bharti Airtel the largest operator by subscriber base in India has been in the news lately due to its boastful advertising of being the operator with the fastest network in India. Airtel has put up an open challenge where it offers to pay the lifetime bills of anyone who demonstrates a network faster than its own. But in the global perspective where exactly does Airtel stand with its network? and what would be the outcome if it made this claim at the international level?

232LkKc.png

An independent study of networks conducted by OpenSignal which took into consideration the data obtained by testing 183 individual LTE networks across 68 countries reveals to us the findings for the third quarter of 2015. According to the study India ranks 54th with respect to the average speed of LTE network and Airtel ranks 147th globally with respect to the average download speed which was tested to be just 10 Mbps. In comparison the average 4G speeds in New Zealand are 36 Mbps followed by Singapore at 33 Mbps.

OpenSignal employs their proprietary testing parameter which they call ‘Time coverage’ percentage which measures the percentage of time for which a subscriber is connected to the LTE network. The higher this percentage the more steady a network’s coverage in considered. India ranked 52nd with respect to the time coverage parameter and Airtel ranked 139th globally with just 50% time coverage score. In comparison South Korea ranks first with 97% time coverage followed by Japan with 90% time coverage.

Ke2dkUS.png

So to conclude, if Airtel had put up this challenge at the global level, they would probably go bankrupt paying the bills of millions of subscribers with better and faster 4G networks across the globe. Now Airtel may in its defense say that it’s not fair to compare its network with those across the globe, since every country has its own regulatory framework and that spectrum assets are more freely available in one country compared to another, We would then like to say it’s equally unfair comparing its own LTE network to the HSPA networks of other operators in India, much like comparing apples to oranges. Wait for the wide scale LTE rollouts by Reliance Jio and Aircel and then put up these network challenges.

Just Incase If you're not aware of the Non-Sense Ads of Airtel 4G:

Source: http://telecomtalk.info/network-whi...nks-147th-globally-by-download-speeds/143611/

IPuqks4.jpg

Last edited:
Ridiculous. If only they spent their money spreading 3g along more circles and making that cheaper instead of working on 4G. No one needs this kind of speed.

4g equipment is not backwards compatible with 3g , hence most want to skip 3g and move to 4g without investing further in 3g infrastructure by completely giving it a skip .

2G going to die soon in US in the next 3 years and by 2022 we shall follow suit.

3G is going to last at least till 2025, No point of not upgrading 3G infra.

From a different perspective... Agreed airtel is expensive slower as compared to world and definitely have questionable and corrupt business practices - but compared to vodafone its better atleast in mumbai.

Try connecting ur office vpn via vodafone... Its 3g is a joke and call drops are significant. I ditched airtel braodband duebto billing issues and better options. But now seriously considering ditching vodafone postpaid in favour of airtel

2G going to die soon in US in the next 3 years and by 2022 we shall follow suit.

3G is going to last at least till 2025, No point of not upgrading 3G infra.
Probably some different protocol based on WiFi might evolve. I'm fed up of sim based connectivity.
From a different perspective... Agreed airtel is expensive slower as compared to world and definitely have questionable and corrupt business practices - but compared to vodafone its better atleast in mumbai.

Try connecting ur office vpn via vodafone... Its 3g is a joke and call drops are significant. I ditched airtel braodband duebto billing issues and better options. But now seriously considering ditching vodafone postpaid in favour of airtel
Yes, in Hyderabad too the connectivity is pretty good, especially when compared to idea and bsnl. It's network reach in city limits is pretty good.
It's still one of the fastest mobile Internet I've used in India, even on 3G.
But, off late there's degradation in services, with call drops, slow speeds etc.
3rd World Nation = 3rd World Facilities.
We're dreaming with eyes wide open. As part of digital India initiative [emoji12].

BTW UK & France speeds are just below ours.

Last edited:
Yes, in Hyderabad too the connectivity is pretty good, especially when compared to idea and bsnl. It's network reach in city limits is pretty good.
It's still one of the fastest mobile Internet I've used in India, even on 3G.
But, off late there's degradation in services, with call drops, slow speeds etc.
I beg to differ. Airtel network is no better than idea. Both are similar, there are places where I get network of Idea where even Airtel, vodafone fall out.
Also, Idea's 3G speeds are better (Last i checked) both indoors and outdoors. Trust me 4G signals are bad, Airtel used to be better before 2-3 years but it has deteriorated now.

That's why i compare it to AT&T.

Now Airtel may in its defense say that it’s not fair to compare its network with those across the globe, since every country has its own regulatory framework and that spectrum assets are more freely available in one country compared to another, We would then like to say it’s equally unfair comparing its own LTE network to the HSPA networks of other operators in India, much like comparing apples to oranges.
I saw that coming. It would be an obvious reply from their side.
I heard that 3G and 4G rates would be the same is it true? One Airtel store told me so.
Ridiculous. If only they spent their money spreading 3g along more circles and making that cheaper instead of working on 4G. No one needs this kind of speed.
Plus, try to improve their existing 3G services.
3rd World Nation = 3rd World Facilities.
I pray "Digital India" campaign will bring something good...soon..hopefully. A little OT: While I'm not against the idea of "Smart Cities, Towns" it will be a joke if you dont even get a PROPER net connectivity. Does everyone care about 4G? I don't think so. And one town in my area was also included for the Smart Town planning. I lol'd when it was announced and am still lol'ing because its ridiculous. You don't even get a proper 2G connectivity :p
I beg to differ. Airtel network is no better than idea. Both are similar, there are places where I get network of Idea where even Airtel, vodafone fall out.
Also, Idea's 3G speeds are better (Last i checked) both indoors and outdoors. Trust me 4G signals are bad, Airtel used to be better before 2-3 years but it has deteriorated now.

Which is why here in India its always GOOD to carry two phones or a dual-sim phone. :)

Airtel told to withdraw ‘misleading’ 4G ads

“The claim in the ad, ‘Airtel 4G is the fastest network ever’ and ‘If your network is faster, we will pay your mobile bills for life’, is misleading by omission in the absence of appropriate disclaimers in the print, TV, hoarding advertisements. The advertisement contravened Chapter 1.4 of the code,” said the notice

“We have advised the Advertiser to withdraw or to modify appropriately the said advertisement before 7 October 2015 or seek a review of the decision. If you continue to see the advertisement after the due date, kindly bring the same to our notice,” the ASCI notice added.
The ASCI decision came on a complaint filed by a consumer whose identity could not be determined.

http://www.livemint.com/Consumer/dJ...irtel-told-to-withdraw-misleading-4G-ads.html

To the Guy who complained to the ASCI

56942410.jpg

Yay! Not to forget the fact that they are walking on the grey line. Refer to the "movie download" part. The movie's name is not mentioned anywhere. Whether its paid or free is also not revealed. Just what kind of a movie can you download freely on a mobile. It can be said as openly promoting piracy. Am i wrong?

Yes I don't deny it, but both the places I work the connectivity of Idea is pretty pathetic. My colleagues have been forced to carry dual sim or migrated completely.

Yeah Airtel 4G connectivity is patchy, but wherever you get ; it's pretty fast. You'd never like to go back to 3G again. Instead of investing in 3G, it's better to invest in 4G. 4G should be made default basic for Mobile Internet, as part of digital India initiative.

The recent worsening in services is mainly due to service providers giving more newer connections, in excess of their network capacity. This greedy numbers game has a impact on services they're providing. It's almost same with every service provider.

I sincerely wish someone sues them badly for call drops, network busy & poor speeds. Laaton ke Bhooth...

If that money back for call drops goes through as a rule, it would be fun. These so called honchos installed towers illegally in most of the places without permissions from municipality, Whose gonna keep quiet if they don't get their share.

@drkrack I have a opposite issue, Though i don't have an Airtel (Never intended to have one) My peers tell me their whole experience with worsening Airtel.
Still the fact remains that Airtel has a little edge compared to others 3G networks in Hyderabad.

This tells: Vodafone has a better 3G network :p http://opensignal.com/index.php?lat=12.9716&lng=77.5946&initZoom=11&isHeatMap=1&netwkID[]=40493

Back