Android Never buying a SONY phone again !

Hi friends , after much waiting and saving my hard earned money i had finally purchased the SONY Xperia Z three months ago . The main reason for buying the phone was its Sexy looks , glass body which as mentioned by sony is DURABLE and water resistant . Before that i had the Samsung galaxy note 2 ( I had also published my review on this forum ) http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/samsung-galaxy-note-2.140308/
But the note 2 although a very good phone , i sold it since i didnt like the design . Then as a temporary replacement for a month i got the Micromax a110 . After buying the XZ i gave the a110 to my mom .
Now from the first day itself i was facing issues like low battery and heating . I know all androids do heat but this was different . Used to heat near the camera area . I could have ironed my shirt with it ! Used to heat up even during long calls with my GF ( 15-20 mins calls ) .
I considered this a minor issue and gave benifit of doubt for its slim size . Next major issue i faced when the phone went into boot loop without any particular reason , whatever i did couldnt help , tried various forums and googled and found this a common problem . When contacted sony service center in Vashi Navi mumbai , found that they werent trained to work on Xperia Z . Anyway as it was a sftware related issue i got it rectified but not after 15 days non stop shouting at the sony service adviser .
I was considering selling this crap but its sleek design and katrina held me back .
Now the important issue ,
few days back as usual put my phone in my jeans pocket and did my work , ie drive to office and when i removed the phone i realized that it refused to unlock . After close examining it found a small crack on the screen towards the upper right . Touch wasnt responding . My jeans wasnt even tight and neither did i bump into anything . Just as i was watching it the crack increased in size in front of my eyes like magic ! Now the screen isnt working .
Searched through net and found out that thousands of people are facing this issue . One in 10 Xpeira z's screen cracks ! The reason i buyed this crap in the first place was because Sony had mentioned in the ads that it was DURABLE . Now i have used many phones over the year and knocked them multiple times without any damage but this issue here is just insane .
My agony didnt end here , When i went to the service center i found that 4 more person were waiting there with their broken Xperia Z screens . One guy was literally begging with them to repair his broken screen but the customer service people said that since the phone cannot be opened they are not trained by sony to work on XZ .
I was told that the screen can be replaced for Rs17500 or i can get a new phone for Rs 20000 in exchange for the broken one without any accessories ! Thats more then half the price of a new , i got mine for 34k .Even the service guys knew of the screen issue but they were helpless too . Sony india is cheating its customers on its premium handset !
Tons of shouting , infinite number of emails written to everyone in sony is invain . Got few email replies back but it was as usual that physical damage cannot be covered in warranty and crap .
My house is under renovation right now and also my beloved car ( Verna fluidic ) met with a minor accident last month hence money is a little tight right now . I cant go on spending 20k on crap phone and live with a fear of breaking it again !
Currently i am using the old Micromax a110 again and it is working fine , just faced one issue when the power button refused to work which was rectified in 3 days without any charge , later learned that my mom had actually dropped the a110 on a concrete pavement and hence the power button stopped !
We pay so much cost to get a premium brand and this is what we get !
Next time when i go to the service center i am going to smash the phones screen completely with a hammer and then ask for a 20k replacement .

blswH6B.jpg

Last edited:
I know one member in this forum who is a sony fanboy ( cant remember name ) but used to promote sony which further increased my decision to buy this crap. If i find him i will hang him upside down and give some good old fashioned spanking on butt* !

For what..? That he wrote something and you fell for it wallet first like a kindergarten kid...?

The screen crack issue is the one that upsets the most because you never know when it will happen.

Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket | Talk Sonymobile | May 04 2013

It leaves me with the impression that the frame is weaker than it should be and bends easier than other phones. Result is cracked screen. Whether Sony will own up to this or not remains to be seen. But i notice they introduced an aluminium band around their new flagship the Z1.

Sony has an open forum and you can read lots of complaints, the surprising thing i find is lots of indians complaining there. Could not find similar vendor forums for LG, Samsung or HTC.

Sony sold > 7 million xperia Z's worldwide (according to a mod at the above forum). How are those people doing. On a nother note i have a nephew who has a Z since launch and he carried it in his front jeans pocket. To date no problems, just a scratch which i told him was due t the film and not the screen. He now uses a folio case. But that phone is in his front pants pocket.

Last edited:
The screen crack issue is the one that upsets the most because you never know when it will happen.

Xperia Z screen cracked in pocket | Talk Sonymobile | May 04 2013

It leaves me with the impression that the frame is weaker than it should be and bends easier than other phones. Result is cracked screen. Whether Sony will own up to this or not remains to be seen. But i notice they introduced an aluminium band around their new flagship the Z1.

Sony has an open forum and you can read lots of complaints, the surprising thing i find is lots of indians complaining there. Could not find similar vendor forums for LG, Samsung or HTC.

Sony sold > 7 million xperia Z's worldwide (according to a mod at the above forum). How are those people doing.

And why do they launch a particular product in the country if they cant repair it . I mean we have to buy an entire new phone for a small hardware problem !and look at the price of the screen , this is for earning a little more illegal money . Well i dont care what anyone thinks but SONY as an image has fallen in my mind ![DOUBLEPOST=1378549353]

Last edited:
Yeah, thats the sad thing but its not unique to sony. I found that linksys routers are the same. They have no service center, in warranty they issues a free replacement otherwise its 50% credit to a new one. I bet its the same with HTC as well.

For some reason Sony india does not either have the equipment or skills to do repairs with the Z line. Z,ZR,ZL,Z Ultra, Z tab and most likely Z1 as well. But the S series they can handle.

I spoke to the sony center in my city and found a very helpful guy who told me they take photos of the phone, send it off to sweden and if it can be repaired then they will fix it otherwise they just issue a replacement. The cost is high, if you see the thread above, one norwegian guy had to shell out 480 Euros (!). Ridiculous.

Hi friends , after much waiting and saving my hard earned money i had finally purchased the SONY Xperia Z three months ago . The main reason for buying the phone was its Sexy looks , glass body which as mentioned by sony is DURABLE and water resistant . Before that i had the Samsung galaxy note 2 ( I had also published my review on this forum ) http://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/samsung-galaxy-note-2.140308/
But the note 2 although a very good phone , i sold it since i didnt like the design . Then as a temporary replacement for a month i got the Micromax a110 . After buying the XZ i gave the a110 to my mom .
Now from the first day itself i was facing issues like low battery and heating . I know all androids do heat but this was different . Used to heat near the camera area . I could have ironed my shirt with it ! Used to heat up even during long calls with my GF ( 15-20 mins calls ) .
I considered this a minor issue and gave benifit of doubt for its slim size . Next major issue i faced when the phone went into boot loop without any particular reason , whatever i did couldnt help , tried various forums and googled and found this a common problem . When contacted sony service center in Vashi Navi mumbai , found that they werent trained to work on Xperia Z . Anyway as it was a sftware related issue i got it rectified but not after 15 days non stop shouting at the sony service adviser .
I was considering selling this crap but its sleek design and katrina held me back .
Now the important issue ,
few days back as usual put my phone in my jeans pocket and did my work , ie drive to office and when i removed the phone i realized that it refused to unlock . After close examining it found a small crack on the screen towards the upper right . Touch wasnt responding . My jeans wasnt even tight and neither did i bump into anything . Just as i was watching it the crack increased in size in front of my eyes like magic ! Now the screen isnt working .
Searched through net and found out that thousands of people are facing this issue . One in 10 Xpeira z's screen cracks ! The reason i buyed this crap in the first place was because Sony had mentioned in the ads that it was DURABLE . Now i have used many phones over the year and knocked them multiple times without any damage but this issue here is just insane .
My agony didnt end here , When i went to the service center i found that 4 more person were waiting there with their broken Xperia Z screens . One guy was literally begging with them to repair his broken screen but the customer service people said that since the phone cannot be opened they are not trained by sony to work on XZ .
I was told that the screen can be replaced for Rs17500 or i can get a new phone for Rs 20000 without any accessories ! Thats more then half the price of a new , i got mine for 34k .Even the service guys new of the issue but they were helpless too . Sony india is cheating its customers on its premium handset !
Tons of shouting , infinite number of emails written to everyone in sony is invain . Got few email replies back but it was as usual that physical damage cannot be covered in warranty and crap .
My house is under renovation right now and also my beloved car ( Verna fluidic ) met with a minor accident last month hence money is a little tight right now . I cant go on spending 20k on crap phone and live with a fear of breaking it again !
Currently i am using the old Micromax a110 again and it is working fine , just faced one issue when the power button refused to work which was rectified in 3 days without any charge , later learned that my mom had actually dropped the a110 on a concrete pavement and hence the power button stopped !
We pay so much cost to get a premium brand and this is what we get !
Next time when i go to the service center i am going to smash the phones screen completely with a hammer and then ask for a 20k replacement .

View attachment 26704

Buddy i understand that you saw people recommending a company and that further fueled your decision to buy the phone but i would suggest in future do more research online and see what common problems a phone faces. Don't believe anyone here or anywhere blindly.
I too advocate iPhone on the forum (no affiliation to apple in any way) because personally i have multiple iDevices in my home and all the users are satisfied with them to the fullest. I know iPhone is expensive like hell and they charge a premium, not denying but i am liking it for the quality of the product and user satisfaction it offers to me. Lol i just advertised the iPhone here :p
Anyways may be you can try a cheaper windows phone or something if you plan to move away from android ever.

Buddy i understand that you saw people recommending a company and that further fueled your decision to buy the phone but i would suggest in future do more research online and see what common problems a phone faces. Don't believe anyone here or anywhere blindly.
Thing is he bought soon after launch. The temptation to get one is that great that any problems that could surface are not apparent that early.

I advocate waiting 3-6 months after phone launch to pick a phone. Enough time for price to drop, enough time to see how much traction there is with developers, enough time to see what problems if any there are.

Now tell me how many people will take that advice. I bet 9 out of 10 would not :(

Then there is vijayshimla whose daugher absolutely must have a Z. Nothing will change her mind. After buying the Z for her, he should open an FD at the bank for Rs.20k in case of an emergency.

To top it all Sony will be releasing two flagships a year as thats what docomo wants. Z2 will come out next year same time as the Z this year. What will this do to resale price for Sony ?

Last edited:
Shame on Sony for such a stupid product. I always had a blind faith on sony, have used many of their products but after reading this post, I am not going to buy sony, specially phones.

Overall Sony designs and construction is good but this problem with Xperia Z is worrying . Same with Xperia S yellow tint issue in early batches..But Sony should make some replacement strategy etc as they did at Xperia S time too

XperiaZ petition

(250 signatures so far)
Thanks , done but i dont think its of any help since the top officials from Sony india too have decided to neglect this problem .
One inside guy from the sony service centre told me that this is the most common issue of the phone and they are getting anything between 75-100 screen cracked issues every month !
He has given me a contact of an outsider who he says can get me the screen fixed for Rs9800 , i havent seen him but will meet him once i get back my phone from the sony guys this monday .

Last edited:
The thing here is how to ensure it will be sealed properly. There is something called a vacuum test that needs to be done.

This is why i don't like these 'waterproof' phones. Maintenance is difficult.

See this to get an idea of parts cost.

Sad new mate...... But my recent experience with Samsung was real good dropped my note 2 and the display cracked met a local guy the coast of the new screen was approx 7k but he gave me an offer he bought my old screen for 4k really don't what he will do with the broken one but my total cost for the replacement read 3k. Wish they're would have been something like this for Sony.

One inside guy from the sony service centre told me that this is the most common issue of the phone and they are getting anything between 75-100 screen cracked issues every month !
He has given me a contact of an outsider who he says can get me the screen fixed for Rs9800 , i havent seen him but will meet him once i get back my phone from the sony guys this monday .
That figure seems a bit high to me. Yes, there are people with complaints but if it were that high, i'd expect more complaints than i've seen so far.

Let me put it this way, not enough people have made enough of a noise for sony to do anything.

Does this mean not enough people had problems or not enough people made a noise.

The issue AFAICT is the lack of servicing provided by Sony. Had Sony India been able to do it, at 8-10K which would be the avg with samsung or others then the problem would be less.

Back