Android Never buying a SONY phone again !

Some member here had his screen replaced .,wonder why op couldn't ''''
Dude did you read my entire post , why havent i replaced my screen yet ?
Because its just damn expensive and it broke without any fault of mine . Cost of replacing the screen officially from SONY is more then 17k , which is more then half the price of the new phone !

Lets see i have found a guy who could get it done in 10k but the warranty gets void . Couldnt collect my phone from the service center since it was a local holiday today .Damn i am fixing it and then selling it regardless the warranty .

Surprising. I have had an excellent experience with Sony when it comes to durability. My Xperia Sola has survived falling (bouncing down) an entire flight of steps, falling on concrete and asphalt multiple times and even then, not a single dent or crack on the display. Everything working just great.

It's sad that you had such a bad experience.
Well what would have you done if the screen had broke ! The big question here is not durability but the cost and quality of service provided by sony . Like this whats the differnce between sony or any other local indian brand ? Also Sony should have acknowledged the screen issue in some of the Xpera z's .

Last edited by a moderator:
@rohan_mhtr

Are you referring to me in the first post ? Well regardless, I assume you are a grown up individual and not a 5 year old child who can be easily influenced to buy a high value consumer electronics based on a TV ad featuring Katrina Kaif and seeing (supposedly me) posting about Xperia products here. So keep that in mind next time.

Secondly, PM me your service ID no,your contact no and the details of the service center you went to along with a scanned copy of your Xperia Z invoice.

Sony my favorite trusted brand, using sony mobiles, LED and many more electronic since ages. Never got any serious trouble. Your case may be exception, or something like bad luck.

Contrary to OP's current predicament, my experience with Sony was ok if not good. I had to get my phone replaced within 2 days of having bought it because of 10+ green colored stuck pixels. The Service Center manager and the engineer were both aware of Sony's Dead Pixel policy - replacement guaranteed in case of 2+ dead pixels - but couldn't have my brand new unit fixed/replaced because they couldn't take a picture of the display with the green stuck pixels with a VGA camera apart from the fact that they couldn't identify the stuck pixels when running Sony' Display Tests using the hidden service mode. The engineer went on further explaining that he was no position to vocally communicate with the dept that would ship out my replacement and explain the situation. It was only after i cranked up the brightness were the green stuck pixels clearly visible and that was then they decided to replace my brand new unit.

I guess a cool-head backed up by some non-aggressive persistence can go a long way in winning an argument. At least it did in my case.

@rohan_mhtr

Secondly, PM me your service ID no,your contact no and the details of the service center you went to along with a scanned copy of your Xperia Z invoice.
Thanks , i will do that if thats of any help , will PM you the details . Right now i am in Pune to celebrate the local Ganpati festival with my cousins . Will PM you by thursday . I have the Invoice and service job copy of the broken screen but dont have the copy which i got when i send the phone the first time when there was a software related issue . I had sent this details to 4-5 email addresses mentioned on sony site and which were given by the service center but the only reply which i got back was " due to physical damage the cost cannot be covered under warranty policy " .

Okay, I'll see if I can help :)

Usually if the damage is caused by the user, the manufacturer does not bear the cost of repair. This applies not just to Sony but any other brand as well.

Last edited:
Okay, I'll see if I can help :)

Usually if the damage is caused by the user, the manufacturer does not bear the cost of repair. This applies not just to Sony but any other brand as well.
Thats the reason i am shouting everywhere . Apparently the screen broke without any physical abuse but no one seems to believe me . I dont think it should break if kept in loose jeans pocket . If you search a little on web you would notice its just not me but the screen has cracked the similar way , just above the top right , from middle to the power button for many XZ users .
Anyway i will be back home tomorrow or by friday morning from pune and i will PM you my details . I hope you would be of any help otherwise fixing the screen in grey market and voiding the remaining warranty is only my option since none of other sony officials have came forward .

The problem is the crack. I had a similar problem with my Sony Ericsson Aino a while back. The digitizer just died -one fine day- but because there were no cracks or signs of damage, SE replaced it with no complaints. Service centre chaps assume any crack/split is caused by users and immediately deny warranty or service.

If I were you, rather than pay so much on repair. Instead spend your money on advertising and branding against Sony. Or smash your Xperia in the service centre and ask a friend to videotape it. That will get their attention to the issue ... it appears to be a dead end regardless of what you do otherwise.

I am the very first people here, who got the phone much before launch in India, imported from USA :D :D

Till date , i didn't find any problem with, damm i dropped my phone twice, and at one time it was literally thrown from my hand while taking out from pocket too fast :p, not a single dent or scratch :D

This isn't the first Sony phone i am using, started with X10, Xperia P, Xperia S, Xperia ion, and Now Xperia Z, never had any problem with any of the device. and yeah, i always keep phone in my front jeans pocket whole day

I think there might be some problem with particular batch as that of your phone, can you please tell from where you bought the phone ? , or it might be possible that USA batch comes with better quality material :D

Sony service centers are quiet problematic. I had to send my xperia S 5 times to get it fixed. I got hold of a contact at sony india, he handles sales and repairs in Bombay. I would keep blasting the service center reps and finally reluctantly they gave me his no.
Who are you speaking to @ Sony? Lemme know.

I have by far not come across an A.S.S experience that sony India took me through. I had posted on their FB page too.

I think there might be some problem with particular batch as that of your phone, can you please tell from where you bought the phone ? , or it might be possible that USA batch comes with better quality material :D
I got it locally here in navi mumbai but from a reputed store ( Maru mobie in )

Sony service centers are quiet problematic. I had to send my xperia S 5 times to get it fixed. I got hold of a contact at sony india, he handles sales and repairs in Bombay. I would keep blasting the service center reps and finally reluctantly they gave me his no.
Who are you speaking to @ Sony? Lemme know.

I have by far not come across an A.S.S experience that sony India took me through. I had posted on their FB page too.
I am currently talking to a guy named Aakash . He has given me some email ids of regional head , mailed him but no reply . Can you please PM me your contact ?

I am currently talking to a guy named Aakash . He has given me some email ids of regional head , mailed him but no reply . Can you please PM me your contact ?
Check ur inbox. I have given u a name/no of a sony employee. He handles repairs. You will have to follow up aggressively with Sony.
Post ur issue on their FB page too. But then there are plenty of posts there just like yours. Dont let this go. This is a production defect and sony has to fix it. UNLESS, it is ur fault and the screen broke cause of your negligence.

UNLESS, it is ur fault and the screen broke cause of your negligence.
But no sony official wants to believe it . Even pointing them to various forums and links related to this issue had zero result so far .[DOUBLEPOST=1379154734][/DOUBLEPOST]
What is your expectation ?
To know the truth if the new screen really costs that much and why are they not able to repair z series phones . Want to point him to other people facing similar issues with their flagship handset . And enough of the gentleman talking , i think its time for me to be a bit more aggressive with them.

Cost of your screen is here. Sony ought to get it fixed for around 10k. Which is what you already got quoted by somebody else.

Cost to replace if the phone is not repairable is 20k. I don't believe yours is that bad.

Why can't they repair it is a fair question.

Do not own the xperia Z but recently bought a white Xperia SP.
Posting here to show the lies & false marketing from Sony. The Sony product page for SP clearly mentions an aluminum frame. But it is NOT!!! It actually is a plastic frame with metal like paint. I realized this after i accidently dropped my phone & the paint chipped off from one of the corners. Underneath was a black plastic type frame. I was really shocked to find this. To confirm it was plastic indeed i took a needle & could easily feel it piercing through the frame.
I fail to understand how could a brand like Sony lie about their products

Just to give some perspective on the extent of the problem.

170k xperia Z's have been imported between the months of Feb & Jul. How many were sold ? i guess over 100k. Katrina helped move a lot of Z's, to the tune of $100m. Same data also shows that around 3k replacement handsets were imported as well.

Curious things here is only Bangalore imports from Sweden, the rest of the country gets their Z's from China.

So how many people in India have problems with their Z ?

The estimate is 1.8% if you go with replacements of the total imported. Now how many were replaced due to water damage or broken screen or any thing else requiring replacement is unclear.

If you have a Z, your chances of having this problem are less than 1-2 in a hundred :)

Last edited:
Just to give some perspective on the extent of the problem.

170k xperia Z's have been imported between the months of Feb & Jul. How many were sold ? i guess over 100k. Katrina helped move a lot of Z's, to the tune of $100m. Same data also shows that around 3k replacement handsets were imported as well.

Curious things here is only Bangalore imports from Sweden, the rest of the country gets their Z's from China.

So how many people in India have problems with their Z ?

The estimate is 1.8% if you go with replacements of the total imported.

If you have a Z, your chances of having this problem are less than 2 in a hundred :)

Looks like Sony has learned something. They are bundling free 1 year ADP with the Z1.:p

Back