New A/C - voltage stabilizer problems

dOm1naTOr

Skilled
My dad just got three A/C for our home. Its a Samsung 1ton 3 start x 3. One on ground and two on first floor. It was fitted 3 days ago.

From yesterday onwards, they refused to turn on most of the time, and the stabilizer cutoff red light is on. Its a v guard stabilizer. I checked the mains with multimeter, and it was showing 260~265v mains
<

But every other equipment at home works flawlessly, even fridge's stabilizer and all my PCs. the A/C's stabilizers are rated to work upto 270v mains. And now a days the mains is always above 250 here, and when 80% time its above 260, and it refuses to turn on. Whats a viable solution for this ? Is it the stabilizers fault, that it cant work with such slight high voltage mains ?

As its the line's issue, it would be a PITA to get it fixed via the electricity board. Would there be any other damage to any other components at home with such high voltage mains ? (~265v)

Vguard stabilizers are a bit overprotective in this way

If they cannot maintain the output voltage in 220-240v, they will cut off instead of providing a higher/lower than optimal voltage

Seems like your vguard stabilisers are of a lower input range, they have many different types. In some the range is 150-300v I think.

Check the label on yours and see whats the exact range and model no.

its rated to work upto 270v. Is there any way I can make it work ? Its not turning on even when the mains are close to 260v. All three of those stabilizers are the same.

And is it normal for the main lines to go above 250v ? And even 270 volts at night?

is the stabilizer getting overloaded? can it handle wattage of the ac? whats the rated voltage of ac and stabilizer?

can you switch ac's on in daytime without problem?

Nope. Its noway near overloading. the a/c dealers said, the same v guard stabilizers are usually employed on 3 tom a/c(lg/samsung and others) they install and havnt had any problems till date. I home is the second one to a transformer.

called up electricity board, and 2 so called engineers came in, and i explained them the whole stuffs. They said, everybody usually complain about low voltage, and this is the first time they are getting a complaint for high voltage. And getting high voltage is rather a good thing and I should rejoice. This is an advantage of being close to a line transformer.... i was like wt*??
<

I took my multimeter and asked them to check for themselves. They first took out their testers and tested the 3 lines, and said the voltages are perfectly OK. (even I know most testers work on a voltage range of 100~450v), and simply on seeing the light on tester those idiots said, the voltages are nominal, no need to worry. I gave them my multimeter and asked them to check for themselves. His hand was shivering to use the multimeter and was using it like he was handling some explosive. And after seeing the reading of 268v he said, you cant check the mains like this and all.... moreover there is nothing much they can do, even if there exist a problem as I explained. I was again like wt*...?
<
and the so called engineers left. Before going they asked me, am I an electrical engineering student? I was again like wtf??..
<
. i said, nope. just a computer science engineer.

Also i found a less effective solution, but makes the issue much lighter. Leaving the stabilizer turned on will work on voltage till 265v, and cuts off only beyond that value. But if I switch off and on the stabilizer, it needs to be below 240v to turn on. So now I always leave the stabilizers on on all rooms 24/7, so the chance of the a/c to work and all the time when i switch on has just improved
<
. But still at some noghts after 11PM, the voltages shoots to beyond 270v and stabilizers cuts off.

Is there any other solution for this?

http://www.vguard.in.../AC_LEAFLET.pdf

Get VGB 400

And the 3ton AC thing is false, max is 2ton for VGuard

Nope. Its noway near overloading. the a/c dealers said, the same v guard stabilizers are usually employed on 3 tom a/c(lg/samsung and others) they install and havnt had any problems till date. I home is the second one to a transformer.

FALSE, for Vguard, 500 in model no. != 5KVA

called up electricity board, and 2 so called engineers came in, and i explained them the whole stuffs. They said, everybody usually complain about low voltage, and this is the first time they are getting a complaint for high voltage. And getting high voltage is rather a good thing and I should rejoice. This is an advantage of being close to a line transformer.... i was like wt*??
<

X post to encounter with noobs

I took my multimeter and asked them to check for themselves. They first took out their testers and tested the 3 lines, and said the voltages are perfectly OK. (even I know most testers work on a voltage range of 100~450v), and simply on seeing the light on tester those idiots said, the voltages are nominal, no need to worry. I gave them my multimeter and asked them to check for themselves.

The "you are getting power, quality is irrelevant defense"

His hand was shivering to use the multimeter and was using it like he was handling some explosive. And after seeing the reading of 268v he said, you cant check the mains like this and all.... moreover there is nothing much they can do, even if there exist a problem as I explained. I was again like wt*...?
<

There actually may be nothing they can do. And expecting them to know what voltage means is too much

and the so called engineers left. Before going they asked me, am I an electrical engineering student? I was again like wtf??..
<
. i said, nope. just a computer science engineer.

Also i found a less effective solution, but makes the issue much lighter. Leaving the stabilizer turned on will work on voltage till 265v, and cuts off only beyond that value. But if I switch off and on the stabilizer, it needs to be below 240v to turn on. So now I always leave the stabilizers on on all rooms 24/7, so the chance of the a/c to work and all the time when i switch on has just improved
<
. But still at some noghts after 11PM, the voltages shoots to beyond 270v and stabilizers cuts off.

Is there any other solution for this?

All three are the same model. V Guard VG 400 brand new will bill and warranty ( 2 years I guess). Thanks for the link. I can see the VG 400 has 170-270v while VGB400 has 130-300v working range. Whats the cost of the VGB 400? I paid ~ 2k for each VG400. Can ask them to replace those with VGB400 is price is ~3k max.

All three are the same model. V Guard VG 400 brand new will bill and warranty ( 2 years I guess). Thanks for the link. I can see the VG 400 has 170-270v while VGB400 has 130-300v working range. Whats the cost of the VGB 400? I paid ~ 2k for each VG400. Can ask them to replace those with VGB400 is price is ~3k max.

Try exchanging only 1 of them 1st

for price you will have to ask locally only: and thats IF they are available

Finally the problem seems to be alleviated. Made a complaint to electricity board, and they fixed one line which wasn't working for about an year. They said that line has bit lower voltage all the time, I tried switching whole home to that line via selector as my home is 3 phase already, and now the voltage is always between 210~230v. So now the stabilizers are working line there were no problem at all
<
. Thanks for the support guys.

I have 1.5ton window ac with v guard vew400plus stabilizer..but when voltage go down from 227volts
Then its restart again and again ...if voltage is down from 227 volt and ac try to start compressor ..the stabilizer tripped and restart again and again till then ac try to start compressor...please anyone tell me why it is....is their any issue in ac or stabilizer??

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Just switch off your stabilizer for 2 - 4 min.
Then start it again.
Red light will turn into green. (This happened in my case.)
It is due to the intelligent delay to protect ac from abrupt & frequent power on / off condition.
( plz refer Amazon freq asked questions @ vguard vg400 stabilizer. )

Back