New cable TV Tariffs to put a hole in your pocket!

Are you saving money with this New TRAI rule?

• Yes (Saved more than ₹100/mo)

• No (My bills have increased)

• Don't see any change! I pay the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yes, but need to make sure with airtel/tatasky..and other operatiors to make sure that we are continuing on a long term plan and not to meddle with any subscriptions that they might be thinking of implementing.

Any Tatasky guys here? Anyone have clarity on what to do with the long term packs? I have a multi TV long term Platinum HD pack with them till April and I haven't got any update from them on the way forward..

From the news reports it seems they have deliberately ignored TRAI's directives for the time being prompting TRAI to serve them a notice but still no clarity

Any Tatasky guys here? Anyone have clarity on what to do with the long term packs? I have a multi TV long term Platinum HD pack with them till April and I haven't got any update from them on the way forward..

From the news reports it seems they have deliberately ignored TRAI's directives for the time being prompting TRAI to serve them a notice but still no clarity
They are telling me TRAI has postponed the implementation - which is a lie. They have gone to court and judgement is awaited. So I think they will come out with tariff after court ruling.

They are telling me TRAI has postponed the implementation - which is a lie. They have gone to court and judgement is awaited. So I think they will come out with tariff after court ruling.

It is a lie. Basically they should be saying the matter is sub judice and they're awaiting clarity instead of misleading people

It is a lie. Basically they should be saying the matter is sub judice and they're awaiting clarity instead of misleading people
See email
ec9b5101d425a6b7a48bf3a1257d3bf7.jpg

Why should we have to pay again for HD version of the channel? AFAIK, Sun Network's HD and non HD are same, just higher quality!

We are paying for 2 slots for HD vs 1 for SD, so that should be it!

They should remove channels that have the SD version of the same HD channel, and let the STB do the downscaling for those with crt tv. Its a wasted of Transponder capacity from broadcaster and DTH satellites.

Like me and Lord Nemesis were saying, it was hopeful for us to think that broadcasters will be forced to reduce prices of channels because people will unsubscribe because of higher overall prices. Unless, we completely unsubscribe from watching TV through DTH, the effect on the companies is NIL. If we are reducing the number of channels so that our monthly outgo remains same, then there is zero effect on the broadcasters and we the consumers are who will ultimately be at loss.

Do try the channel selection optimizer on channel.trai.gov.in. My Tata Sky Channel pricing has come down from Rs 615 pm to Rs 323. It has further come down by Rs 6 using the optimizing option on the site. Give it a shot.
Followed your link. If I chose a-la-carte, after optimization my cost was coming to 817 with me chosing just 56 channels.
By chosing bouquets and 2 A-la-carte channels, cost was coming to 666 chosing around 115 channels for actually viewing only those 56 channels.
Currently paying 700 on Tatasky. Seems to be too much of an exercise for not much return, at least in my case.

Edit - Nearly same channels were available on Airtel DTH for around 500 bucks. I had plans to shift to Airtel in January but then this happened.

Last edited:
TataSky has updated its website by providing an option to the subscribers to select their packs/individual channels as per the new Trai rules/plans.

I had subscribed to Platinum HD pack on 29th December. My account details are still showing the original validity as per the Platinum HD pack. Maybe they will honor it and I'll move to the new packs after current pack validity gets over.

They will let all long term plans to stay active till 31jan, after that they will refund any remaining amount and shift automatically to some plan if you don't choose.
Thanks. Their default plan was gonna cost me 745. I made some changes and was able to reduce costs to 625. Frankly, I was paying 725 before this and would have been perfectly happy continuing with it.
The broadcaster packs aren't great to be honest. Apart from Zee, I had to choose the most expensive packs of other channels as both Sony and Star didn't have good separate bundles of just English and Sports channels. I saved around 40 bucks in the Zee bundle because they had a separate English channels bundle.

Thanks. Their default plan was gonna cost me 745. I made some changes and was able to reduce costs to 625. Frankly, I was paying 725 before this and would have been perfectly happy continuing with it.
The broadcaster packs aren't great to be honest. Apart from Zee, I had to choose the most expensive packs of other channels as both Sony and Star didn't have good separate bundles of just English and Sports channels. I saved around 40 bucks in the Zee bundle because they had a separate English channels bundle.
I was paying 615 pm. Now it has come down to 324 by getting rid of all Saas-Bahu channels.

TataSky has updated its website by providing an option to the subscribers to select their packs/individual channels as per the new Trai rules/plans.

I had subscribed to Platinum HD pack on 29th December. My account details are still showing the original validity as per the Platinum HD pack. Maybe they will honor it and I'll move to the new packs after current pack validity gets over.

Airtel confirmed me the same, I will continue with my Infinity pack for now, till my family members will decide which channels they want to watch!

Once done, I am getting rid of all the nonsense channels.

I was paying 615 pm. Now it has come down to 324 by getting rid of all Saas-Bahu channels.
That can't be true. I only know of 4-5 Saas Bahu channels which cost at max 100 bucks in my case in A-la-carte form and nothing when chosen in the pack.

Last edited:
When I picked up Ala-Carte the total amount was Rs.969 with all taxes. Earlier with South Mega HD I used to pay Rs.720/- Airtel has proposed TN mega HD bundle which is around Rs.700/-

That can't be true. I only know of 4-5 Saas Bahu channels which cost at max 100 bucks in my case in A-la-carte form and nothing when chosen in the pack.

And my motive for lying is....?

There are SaaS-Bahu channels in Hindi and many in Telugu. Primarily getting rid of these channels in itself saves me around 150+. Then all those music channels I save another 30 to 50 rs. Earlier news channels used to cost a minimum of Rs 10. Now they are either free or cost less than Rs. 2.50. The biggest savings is the HD access fee of Rs. 175. Just add up the numbers you will know what I mean.

Earlier I had to subscribe to South Sports Dhamaka at Rs 420 + HD access Fee 175 + 2 news channels @ rs 10 each. I really did not care for all the sports nor did I care for Tamil regional, yet I was paying for them as a-la-carte was even more expensive. The only change I had to make now is that I primarily choose to watch only 2 Sports channels and it will be changing every month based on what channels the sporting program of our interest is.

Back