New cable TV Tariffs to put a hole in your pocket!

Are you saving money with this New TRAI rule?

• Yes (Saved more than ₹100/mo)

• No (My bills have increased)

• Don't see any change! I pay the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am paying Rs.240 for these channels, which obviously includes FTA channels + Telugu pack
7P9f1cj.png

z7iE5bM.png

Assuming Tata Sky presents same packs as D2H.. I have to spend
ETV pack - 24
Gemini Pack - 40
Zee Prime South - 34
Star MAA Group pack - 39
Base pack - 130

267+18% = Rs.315

What's the point? I've to de-addict my family members to the TV.

Broadcasters are on a loot.

Last edited:
I am paying Rs.240 for these channels, which obviously includes FTA channels + Telugu pack
7P9f1cj.png

z7iE5bM.png

ETV pack - 24
Gemini Pack - 40
Zee Prime South - 34
Star MAA Group pack - 39
Base pack - 130

267+18% = Rs.315

Exactly. I have been already in talk with my mother, explaining her how we are being robbed and we should not let us. She agreed to that, and even said she can live without her Bengali channels, LMAO. But the practical thing is, at this age, what else would these old people do for time pass? They can't just open youtube or surf net and spend their time, but I too will only keep the FTA channels. Its extremely moronic to pay more for less channels, no one should ever do this!

Seems like they have pushed the deadline to January 31 2019.

Dunno, but I heard they had to put the prices ASAP.

The issue AFAIK, was with the Madras HC, which struck down some provisions, which resulted in this fiasco. Now, hopefully the SC will set things right.

As for the rest complaining about the pricing, the operators need the system to fail, so they are playing this up by saying this is anti consumer and the broadcasters are keeping costs high for their popular channels as well. In time, the useless channels which keep playing recycled garbage needs to be shut down.

Can someone tell something. How can the price go up when we use lesser no. of channels than before ?

Because earlier, the operator used to negotiate with the broadcaster saying I have X users, and how much will you pay for your Y channels. So, you might have been paying less on cable while more on DTH. Basically, in a way, unbundling of the channels and all and a network fee, etc. With this, all that differential pricing is gone, and so are region specific discounts (which is a very good thing). Now, many channels are just recycled garbage (I think most are) and they sell the bouquet with all these, which is no longer an option. So they will charge more money on their most viewed channels while reducing the cost of these garbage channels to nearly zero to try cover up the costs.

In a way, this will be useful for newer companies wanting to come into the market. Maybe IPTV services too would be covered.

Looking at this thread and the new e-commerce policy, I realized, that now Mota bhai is looking to make a foray into both these fields, the govt is suddenly keen on shutting down loopholes and making things more transparent so that he gets a level playing field. All this is being done under the garb of transparency of pricing details for the subscriber but it actually means DTH operators can no longer enter into fixed amount deals with broadcasters. Such a disgrace.

Looking at this thread and the new e-commerce policy, I realized, that now Mota bhai is looking to make a foray into both these fields, the govt is suddenly keen on shutting down loopholes and making things more transparent so that he gets a level playing field. All this is being done under the garb of transparency of pricing details for the subscriber but it actually means DTH operators can no longer enter into fixed amount deals with broadcasters. Such a disgrace.

Maybe, I too was thinking on those lines, but he will get a huge number of subscribers anyways, and with that he can easily get a higher discount.

ecommerce, maybe....

7P9f1cj.png

z7iE5bM.png

ETV pack - 24
Gemini Pack - 40
Zee Prime South - 34
Star MAA Group pack - 39
Base pack - 130

267+18% = Rs.315

If you are actually watching all the 300 odd channels and paying only Rs 240 then people like me who only watch 15 channels are subsidizing your DTH bill! The point is when you get to choose a-la-carte, the channels you want to watch, then the overall pricing will come down in due course and your DTH bill will also come down. Not sure if you have noticed how many channels have now gone free including TV9 Telugu.

If you are actually watching all the 300 odd channels and paying only Rs 240 then people like me who only watch 15 channels are subsidizing your DTH bill! The point is when you get to choose a-la-carte, the channels you want to watch, then the overall pricing will come down in due course and your DTH bill will also come down. Not sure if you have noticed how many channels have now gone free including TV9 Telugu.
TV9 etc were Free to Air from long time. I know that. What I'm saying is I will watch the same regional channels and pay 85 rupees more and prolly lose some channels like Living Foodz, Discovery,CNN international etc.

These are being shown as top-ups. What is the price for the base pack. I like that MAX HD topup is just 225. As I only watch HD channels, I would take this top-up and the cheapest base pack. Currently paying 700+ pm to Tata Sky. My current pack expires in June. Till then pricing and choices will be much clearer.

Would be 130 + GST, I guess.

These are being shown as top-ups. What is the price for the base pack. I like that MAX HD topup is just 225. As I only watch HD channels, I would take this top-up and the cheapest base pack. Currently paying 700+ pm to Tata Sky. My current pack expires in June. Till then pricing and choices will be much clearer.

MAX HD has 74 channels hence it will occupy 148 channel network capacity fee. Which means you will have to pay Rs. 40 extra for those 24 additional channels (Rs 20 for 25 channels as network capacity fee). In total you will pay 225 + 130 + 40 = Rs. 395 + 18% GST = Rs 466/month.

What if all of us skip the paid channels for 6 months ? I heard they earn 80 % of their revenue from the ads and 20 % from subscriber fees. They are not modest on ads either.

I am already doing it since last 5 + years. Not recharged my Tata Sky from last 3 years.

Looking at the bigger picture I sense they are changing the game rules to suit JIO. Just like they did with LTE. Since everything on LTE was data they could do with free calls cross network too without anyone objecting technically. Now with JIO fibre launching and already acquired DEN + Hathway. JIO is now in a position where they can launch their services at a mega scale in big cities. What they would do is instead of normal D2H or normal cable (MSO) service provider they will bundle JIO TV as a IPTV service and look to bypass all current TRAI tariff rules and create havoc in the market again.
In continuation with what I have written before.
In simple terms earlier the operators charged flat fee for a channel or a bouquet of channels. Then came the HD access fee thing where again they charged some flat fee annually or monthly for HD channel access if that channel was already in your package.
Then came the special Services stupidty. lets keep that aside for now.

Now they are asked to charge network capacity fees which is calculated based on number of channels subscribed. But d2h only transmits 1 channel at a time right? Not all channels at once. The STB decodes the freq based on the requested channel and displays the video on output. So they should either be charging only for 1 channel's network capacity or they should allow users to view multiple channels at once from same STB without any multi TV charge.
These kind of absurd charges just makes my belief more stronger that all this is being done to help JIO.
When JIO fiber will launch as a paid service(currently its free). They will not be liable to charge this Network Capacity fee as its a wired service and they are not transmitting OTA its a cable based where they transfer all the data as IP traffic. Not even as video data.
All d2h operators use to shield their services as data and software services to avoid some entertainment tax long time back and poor local cable guys who used analog video channels had to pay those.
Golmaal hain.....

What if all of us skip the paid channels for 6 months ?
Thats never going to happen.
People are addicted to TV. There are millions of households where watching TV in the evening is as important a ritual as breathing.
Then there are people who would pay for watching live sports which are going on everyday . International Cricket alone is happening all year around. Thats only India team. Count others and you will have 2 live matches a day of top 4 popular sports.
Then there are those who want all news channels and their only hobby is surfing the news channels the whole day. They feel they have attained nirvana of knowledge by watching the news channels the whole day.
Then there are kids who wont eat their food without watching TV. Or Mom's will bribe their kids with TV/phones/tablets only to feed them peacefully.
We are nation addicted to TV. This is only going to get worse.... :(

Would be 130 + GST, I guess.
I am also paying 700+ for all HD channels on the south mega pack with airtel HD. If I now subscribe to the new base pack of Rs.150 and select HD and SD channels on A-la-carte basis will I be paying less than what I pay now? I will also skip many regional HD channels which no one watches but came along with all HD pack. Also does the RS.150/- base pack contains all the FTA channels or should we also choose that. Called up the airtel CS and they are still not sure about anything and just wanted to push me to the base pack of Rs.150 and asked me to select the HD and SD channels on a A-la-carte basis.

Well I have paid last year Rs 6000/- for 12 months for Airtel DTH infinity plan. This contains all SD and HD channels and comes around Rs 500/- per month. Generally we just watch HD channels, and as per calculation it will come around Rs 466/- per month for just HD channels. And this will not have access to SD channels. I don't see a major benefit in all this restructuring exercise.

Those who are paying more than 500 PM already, well how does it matter to you people anyway? 500 might become less, to like 450, it might be a bit more like 550. Either way it'll be less than 10% difference in pricing. When you are that rich to pay 700 PM for frigging tv channels should you really bother whatever new rule is put in place?

This is problematic for us, the below middle class people, who pays like 200 PM, we will have to pay more, much more (not your 10% extra), and for fewer channels.

However, even you rich people, when you made that 700 PM package, have you put much attention to carefully selecting the channels when you first selected it; or at a later time perhaps? I see a lot here really happy because their 700 PM might become 600 PM after this new rule, but at the same time they are happy to give up few channels, so basically, irrespective of the channels you were watching or not, garbage or not, you are still getting more channels in that price, now I don't know how suddenly you are really happy to give up on few channels, that only now you are okay to give up on those channels! Why were you watching them for this long? You could have avoided them under current, old rule and saved much more!

Suddenly people are becoming choosy! Don't know where was this choice for all these years! Yes, some channels were forcefully included in the package, heck a boat load of channels, but that's exactly why base packs like My Pack was created (99 PM), for the minimalistic viewers! I can't speak for TS though, nor I care about them in the slightest, a company which charges something called HD access fee and customers also pay that happily shouldn't be cared upon.

I heard date has been pushed too to feb now.! Can somebody please shed some light?[DOUBLEPOST=1546265920][/DOUBLEPOST]
Awwww, that's cute.

In this technical forum, this thread happens to be about how the govt. is making cable tv cost more. You were whining about the exact same thing. And my reply was that the govt. has been systematically doing that to everything by changing rules and laws and taxes. More than regular inflation would have done.

This is somehow courts fault too . anyway please provide an alternative too for the current government.

Back