New cable TV Tariffs to put a hole in your pocket!

Are you saving money with this New TRAI rule?

• Yes (Saved more than ₹100/mo)

• No (My bills have increased)

• Don't see any change! I pay the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
People also need to realize that the only institution that can and will act in the interests of the citizens is the judicial system. Yes it fails us too once too often, but it still is the only system that can be relied on ever to ever act in public interest. That is why the supreme court has such overarching powers to even stop the govt when its breaking the very constitution its expected to preserve. No other system in place including regulators like RBI and TRAI etc are meant to serve the people. They are meant to serve the govt ( regardless of who ever is in power) and its interests. Further more even their ability to act autonomously is restricted these days. There may be some occasional coincidental cases of interests matching ours on a few areas, but more often than not, corporate lobby interests have more chance of matching govt interests than ours.

Blind belief in regulators is not a good thing. Even with no malice intended, a regulator can do more harm than good just though sheer incompetency in making regulation.

For example, in the star network channel pack I posted if you just want 10-12 key premium channels (which would usually be the costliest ones of the bunch) from that list of 26, it will cost you close to Rs 200 compared to the bundle price of 145. They want you to either subscribe to the 10-12 channels you watch in ala carte fashion and pay close to Rs 200 or get the whole bundle and Pay Rs 238 (85% of individual price). They don't want you paying Rs 145 for the bundle. This is exactly why they are appealing the high court decision.

Sounds very far fetched to me. You may not be 100% wrong though.

Either way, let's wait and watch.....

I only want to know how this new system is different from what we already had.We already had al carte channel packaging In airtel it was min 99rs/month for alcarte channels.Now we have to pay NCF + each channel price.Apart from transparency how is this different

I only want to know how this new system is different from what we already had.We already had al carte channel packaging In airtel it was min 99rs/month for alcarte channels.Now we have to pay NCF + each channel price.Apart from transparency how is this different

They cannot charge differently for DTH, cable, etc.

This new tariff is nothing but a never ending mess. More than 300 packs to choose from, WTH.
Next will be four category of pay channels, A, B, C & D priced above 20/15/10/5 respectively. A bouquet can comprise of channels only from one particular category. Aur raita phailao.

Why the heck are consumer hopes smashed? Are consumers hoping for even higher prices? Have you read though the article? The article clearly states that TRAI wanted to limit the discounts on bundles to 15%. Presently the discounts are in the range of 40-50%. The Supreme Court did not entertain TRAI's appeal which means that such deep discounts can continue. Is the court the enemy for allowing lower prices on bundles?[DOUBLEPOST=1546572262][/DOUBLEPOST]I don't understand how people worked out this upside down logic that putting a cap on bundle prices would force the broadcaster to reduce their prices on channels to match the bundle prices. Sorry that is not how its going to work. That is not what TRAI is looking for either. Do you know what they will do even if that happens? They will change the current max cap on prices to min cap and introduce a slightly higher max cap.

Last edited:
You had to pay ₹99. Now you have to pay ₹154. Difference.

Looks like TataSky will give Rude shock to its customers. They're not announcing new plans, They'll start calling customers from Jan 30th and charge for the channels which they select.

If TataSky announces plans just like D2h or Hathway, I'm sure people would make a sensible decision of switching to other Cheap alternatives.

~~~ WAIT n Watch mode ~~~

What happens to long duration pack users, on tatasky ? I had paid for 1 year .
They'll prolly refund the rest of the months as balance.

Last edited:
If tatasky wants to survive they need to be favorable or drop last min cheapest bomb to please existing base and to capture new.

I doubt customers would switch, since the prices will be the same in all dth providers. If anything tata sky may gain customers.

Tatasky has the highest market share and it will stay that way. There are many places where Tata Sky is the exclusive operator. Even cable operators who used to offer a single bundle of channels and at cheap prices are now expected to follow the same rules as DTH operators and offer subscriptions at similar prices. This means that these operators will no longer be economical. Either people will be forced to get off TV or restrict usage to select list of channels and there will be a shift to DTH over cable.as well.

Wait and watch mode here as well. We might be shifting house to a new complex, Pune and there TS is the exclusive operator. No wonder TS is trying to fight this entire thing tooth and nail

I do not understand what advantage do we consumers stand to gain from the new change.
In fact the way I see it - my bill is only set to go up without any imporovement in the broadcast quality.
Each channel house has come up with its own bloated package ... if I sum up the relevant channels from each - I end up paying more than earlier.

https://ultra.news/t-t/43525/trai-l...s-airtel-digital-sun-direct-edge-out-dish-d2h

https://ultra.news/t-t/43725/dth-ca...ng-moved-to-junk-plans-ahead-of-trai-deadline

HD PACKS GET EXPENSIVE

One of the fallouts of the new tariff regime introduced by the TRAI is that the power of packaging has shifted to broadcasting companies, aka channel owners from DTH providers.

However, channel owners are more interested in pushing as many of their channels into customer premises as possible, rather than increasing consumer choice.

As a result, broadcasters have opted to ‘bundle’ or tie-up their premium and sought-after channels with the so-called laggard channels.

In other words, to effectively purchase the sought-after channel, one has to also purchase a raft of channels that one may not be interested in.

This is especially true in case of sports channels, most of which are not available at reasonable cost unless the customer also buys entertainment channels, movie channels and so on.

This has made it much more difficult and expensive for customers under the new TRAI regime to subscribe to only one or two genres of HD channels, like English movies or Sports.

On the 95 HD channels, only around 40 are priced at Rs 12 or less, and the remaining 55 are priced in the Rs 15-19 range, or about Rs 17-22 after tax.

A customer who buys 30 HD channels one-by-one would end up shelling out over Rs 600 in terms of the pay channel costs, taxes and network fee.

Out of the 95 channels, only one — Mazhavil Manorama HD — is free to air, while six — including MTV Beats, Baby TV, Nat Geo Music, Nat Geo People, Fox Life HD and CNBC Prime — are priced at Rs 1 each.

Most of the English movie channels in HD are priced in the Rs 12-22 range, including taxes, while most of the Hindi and regional entertainment channels are priced at Rs 22.42 including tax.

Here is what I can make of the situation: the bastards called channel houses saw that the local cable operators (not DTH) are solving common man's problem of selective channels at effective price. They invoked this regulation to increase their monopolistic share of bundling.

HAHA, so much for the FREE MARKET CAPITALISM!

Back