New cable TV Tariffs to put a hole in your pocket!

Are you saving money with this New TRAI rule?

• Yes (Saved more than ₹100/mo)

• No (My bills have increased)

• Don't see any change! I pay the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
Once the 15% discount cap ruling comes in to force, 90% junk channels will have no option but to close down. No one would include them even if they are FTA.
Advertisement rates on popular channels will increase as there will be lesser spots to show ads.
It will be very very difficult for a new channel to come and establish itself.
With no cap on discounts, broadcasters have artificially jacked up the price of their popular channels to push junk channel in bouquet.
For instance, TV18 bouquet has lots of redundant news18 channels just to increase channel count and push them
Zee bouquet also have many faaltu channels bundled.
But if you want to subscribe only 3-4 channels on alacarte basis Price is higher. So most subscriber will opt for bouquet.
Similarly aajtak is priced at 0.75 but aaj tak with tez (0.25) bouquet pricing is 0.5 only. Now just in order to push tez they have jacked up prices of aaj tak.

their lawyer in supreme court is zero loss theory expert so manipulating court is no difficult job for them. I lost hope on tata sky as operator.

I am getting sick and tired of waiting for Tata Sky to upload their plans and prices. The only thing stopping me from moving to another provider is the HD recorder. One it is good and two I do not want to spend on a new recorder at another provider. If TS does not upload new prices I am thinking of moving to Airtel. I am already an Airtel BB subscriber and getting Amazon Prime free. Makes sense to move to Airtel DTH. Would be great if they give Netflix for free with DTH.

Now that I think about it ever since we started using Youtube, Hotstar, Zee5, Amazon, Netlfix, Sun NXT (gosh I hate their interface) etc we are recording less and less. May be I do not need a recorder after all. Need to float this idea with family and see if it flies.

^ Airtel no longer sells HD pvr recorder. For now only Tata Sky sells them, none of other dth providers have a recorder.

Like you I had a pvr from reliance and didn't migrate to other DTH. But once they decided to close down, I went with airtel they do record but only the channel you are watching, I do miss the 30min rewind option of a dedicated PVR.

But then again I stopped watching channels, after getting netflix,prime etc because the censorship in regular movie channels is just too much even in blockbuster action movies.

TS will announce new packs tariffs only by 31st. It will be dropping some kind of bomb may be cheap or nuclear. Now I'm due for a recharge next week, would have been good if they had some 15days recharge option.

TS will announce new packs tariffs only by 31st. It will be dropping some kind of bomb may be cheap or nuclear. Now I'm due for a recharge next week, would have been good if they had some 15days recharge option.
Yes they do. If your monthly recharge is 600 then you are paying 20 per day. You can pay 100 for 5 days. It works.

I am getting sick and tired of waiting for Tata Sky to upload their plans and prices. The only thing stopping me from moving to another provider is the HD recorder. One it is good and two I do not want to spend on a new recorder at another provider. If TS does not upload new prices I am thinking of moving to Airtel. I am already an Airtel BB subscriber and getting Amazon Prime free. Makes sense to move to Airtel DTH. Would be great if they give Netflix for free with DTH.

Now that I think about it ever since we started using Youtube, Hotstar, Zee5, Amazon, Netlfix, Sun NXT (gosh I hate their interface) etc we are recording less and less. May be I do not need a recorder after all. Need to float this idea with family and see if it flies.

Same here. Most of the SUN NXT shows, are uploaded on Youtube as well and my mom watches it on her phone. As for rest, mainly sports and news with a dash of Southern GEC.

Sun needs to change their shitty interface, thats why I did not renew.

Same here. Most of the SUN NXT shows, are uploaded on Youtube as well and my mom watches it on her phone. As for rest, mainly sports and news with a dash of Southern GEC.

Sun needs to change their shitty interface, thats why I did not renew.
for sports, doesn't jio tv with firestick/chromecast work?

for sports, doesn't jio tv with firestick/chromecast work?
Why not? It works seamlessly.
Currently using JioTV android TV app with full working interface installed on latest 4K Fire TV stick.
Will post a working pic once I'm back home.

P.S: Used to have the Jio TV mobile app on old gen firestick with mouse simulator.
Navigating it was a pain.

Why not? It works seamlessly.
Currently using JioTV android TV app with full working interface installed on latest 4K Fire TV stick.
Will post a working pic once I'm back home.

P.S: Used to have the Jio TV mobile app on old gen firestick with mouse simulator.
Navigating it was a pain.
Casting does not work. Jio Android apk is buggy and takes waaaay too long to switch channels.

So, did anyone try customizing your channel list and compare with existing tariff? I currently pay Rs.480 per month to Airtel. Now, I tried customizing my new channel list on an a-la-carte basis to include the 30 odd channels that the people in my house watch. This included around 10 Tamil SD channels, about 5 English news and entertainment SD channels, and about 15 HD channels that include English entertainment, English movies, and sports channels. It came to Rs.677 per month - which is way more that what I am paying now for all these channels and at least a 100 more. I had to cut down on all sports channels and bring my cost down to the current rent that I'm paying. :(

^^
This happened with me also while customizing the package at home. We have 2 connections.
We took the Airtel recommended package for 495 and 345 respectively.

Cost went from 750 to 850. Cheers TRAI

^^
This happened with me also while customizing the package at home. We have 2 connections.
We took the Airtel recommended package for 495 and 345 respectively.

Cost went from 750 to 850. Cheers TRAI
13% reduction in price according to TRAI, you should be so lucky. For me it was 35% reduction, from 170 to 230 PM.

Back