New cable TV Tariffs to put a hole in your pocket!

Are you saving money with this New TRAI rule?

• Yes (Saved more than ₹100/mo)

• No (My bills have increased)

• Don't see any change! I pay the same

Results are only viewable after voting.
Choosed the plan and kept it on Queue for activation.

Capture.JPG

must be because TS shows it including GST?
Yeah good thing. No more confusion of adding up taxes.

Thank you TRAI, I was paying 240 and now i pay 305 rupees/month. Thank you for making me pay more.

Last edited:
Now: Rs 434/month . Earlier : about 5000/year . So same. BUT now getting more channels on tata sky.
Earlier didn't have any english movies or axn or sports pack (bacha kya? lol ). took 1 sports channel on monthly basis
Now:
3-4 hd movies + news in times bundle. avoided other movie channels - hbo,star movies as they are Rs.19.
Zee,sony, star are expensive. went a-la-carte there.
Sports are pricy. have 1 channel for selected sports on monthly basis.

What channels do NCF category include? Is FTA & NCF same? Any list? Google throws bunch of 100s pages pdfs region wise.
Do they anyway incl any useful channels from sony star or discovery etc brand?

Unlike other dth operators, seems tatasky doesn't allow full sony or star packages i think so, i may be wrong though as browsing on phone with ltd options displayed.

And with NCF as a compulsion, can we select each channel on a la carte basis as since today tatasky is displaying rates of individual channels on tv.

I can very confidently think that at that time, I will be surrendering my connection.[DOUBLEPOST=1548417572][/DOUBLEPOST]
Well we have to pay that NOW. I meant even if all of us don't select a single channel, pay of free, and just keep the mandatory 25 DD channels, how much will we pay per month?

LMAO.

What channels do NCF category include? Is FTA & NCF same? Any list? Google throws bunch of 100s pages pdfs region wise.
Do they anyway incl any useful channels from sony star or discovery etc brand?

Unlike other dth operators, seems tatasky doesn't allow full sony or star packages i think so, i may be wrong though as browsing on phone with ltd options displayed.

And with NCF as a compulsion, can we select each channel on a la carte basis as since today tatasky is displaying rates of individual channels on tv.
Tune into channel 999 for clarity.

Well we have to pay that NOW. I meant even if all of us don't select a single channel, pay of free, and just keep the mandatory 25 DD channels, how much will we pay per month?

LMAO.

LMAO yourself. If all you were going to watch is those DD channels, won't you opt for either FreeDish?

Or more realistically, you would cancel your connection.

There are about 230+ FTA channels presently. If you just want to get only those free channels, you will need to pay 130 + 6 x 20 = 250 + 18% = 295/- in Network capacity fee (NCF).

Not everyone can opt for installing personal dish. There are many townships and apartments where personal dish cannot be installed. The society contracts with cable providers to setup common infra for those and you have to get your connection from one of those operators only.

Last edited:
LMAO yourself. If all you were going to watch is those DD channels, won't you opt for either FreeDish?

Or more realistically, you would cancel your connection.
Huh? I was talking about this new rule! That now you actually are paying a fee for free to air channels! Nobody watches DD channels, that's besides the point!

Whatever.

I was on the semi annual platinum HD pack & I only ever care for English content. ZERO absolutely ZERO Hindi consumption at my place.. but I can't make sense of what to do with these changes.

I was on the semi annual platinum HD pack & I only ever care for English content. ZERO absolutely ZERO Hindi consumption at my place.. but I can't make sense of what to do with these changes.
Me too.
Now cost has reduced for me to 625 with all the same channels.

TRAI itself has released many confusing statements and clarifications regarding this over a dozen times and they are rightfully getting hammered for it too. First they said that the base pack would come with 100 FTA channels and that there would be a base SD and HD base pack alongside ala carte. They clarified very recently that the base pack of 100 channels could contain a mix of free and pay channels, but that Rs 130 is the minimum fee. Even now, there is no clarity on the matter except that it is not mandatory to subscribe to free channels.

The bottom line is that Rs 130 is the network capacity fee for 100 channels and each subsequent increment of 25 channels will incur a NCF of Rs 20. So even if you want to watch just one channel be it free or paid, you still need to pay the base NCF for the first 100 channels which is Rs 130 + taxes.

The article is also correct in the assessment that you can chose to either pay at high cost for ala carte channels and save a few bucks compared to big bundles of before by subscribing to only a handful of channels or you pay more for the getting the same channels as before.

Tata Sky are bundling DD+complimentary pack as mandatory. Pretty sure that is to increase NCF charges. No mention of channels which are complimentary either. I think they are bundling 100FTA channels by not being transparent enough.

Edit - Also why are DD channels being pushed down the throat of customers. They take up 25 spaces in the NCF structure which we are paying for. If this was about letting the customer make transparent intelligent choices then why not let us choose whether we want DD channels or not.

Edit 2 - Checked out the same channels on TRAI website and total comes to 595 instead of 625 as on Tata Sky's website. So, for sure, Tata Sky are bundling some FTA channels forcibly to increase NCF.

Last edited:
Also why are DD channels being pushed down the throat of customers.
You know pretty well why. :p What is annoying is that channels like DD Bihar, DD Assam are being pushed to someone who doesn't even know those languages. It would make sense if only the national channels of DD and one regional channel as per user choice was made mandatory. But then, TRAI and sense hardly go together.

So basically, nothing has changed (for the better), maybe the govt. earns more taxes, so we should be happy for them right? :-/

You know pretty well why. :p What is annoying is that channels like DD Bihar, DD Assam are being pushed to someone who doesn't even know those languages. It would make sense if only the national channels of DD and one regional channel as per user choice was made mandatory. But then, TRAI and sense hardly go together.
At best they should make DD news, national, lok sabha, raj sabha( folks who listen to annual budget and debate/arguments) and one regional channel mandatory. I don't think TRAI made DD manditory, it was a government rule.

Poor article giving factually wrong info like "To get started, subscribers need to have in place what is known as a channel base pack. This will include 100 free-to-air channels and will be priced at Rs130 plus taxes." Fact: no base pack is required. Free channels are optional (except some national channels like DD )
What could they do? Not everyone can openly mislead and spread disinformation on open air like TRAI high officials do.

Does anyone know if it's possible to add a channel in the middle of a month like before?
So say I realize only later that I don't have access to a Sports channel & some tourney starts mid-month. Am I able to add that channel mid-month (for a lock-in period of a month, of course).
And are there any discounts now for a 2nd connection?
Thanks.

Huh? I was talking about this new rule! That now you actually are paying a fee for free to air channels! Nobody watches DD channels, that's besides the point!

Whatever.

And if all you wanted was the DD free channels, why would you even take a connection in the first place from a paid provider? They never gave the FTA channels as free, you had to have a pack.

I would love to know what is the clarity on the free DD dish thingy. Is it going paid? Or free?

Secondly, AFAIK, the network capacity fee is capped to 130, it can be reduced as well later on the operators whim?

Back