Budget 71-90K New Dell XPS13 - performance & International Warranty

mach9

Das Layzeemeister
Skilled
Hey guys,

Can any of you'll with the new Dell XPS13 comment on its performance? Looking at the core i5 model with the non touch display.

Also I'm intend on having a colleague of mine pick it up for me from the US (will be ordering from US online to be delivered to my NYC office) but am not 100% sure about the international warranty coverage with various online topics offering contrasting advice.

Some say it's covered if the model is sold locally (which it is in India) while others say only if you opt for the 3year service coverage which is around $260 additional to the base $999 price..

Appreciate if any of you guys can help out?

I have the laptop with me and I am using it right now.

I wont be able to help out with the Warranty for that you can contact dell chat. They are quite helpful.

Regarding the perforamnce, I have I5 6th Skylake with 8gb ram and 256 SSD. Battery lasts about 8 hours doing normal stuff like browsing and watching movies. I dont game on this laptop so wont be able to comment on that.

Let me know what you are looking for?

I have the non-touch i5 128GB Signature edition.
  • Bought from Microsoft store for 799$ plus 70$ tax
  • Signature edition = Absolutely no bloatware
  • International warranty is not available
  • Since it is available in India, it can be repaired at a service centre for a fee. This is info received from Microsoftstore support. I haven't had an issue yet, so I haven't approached a service centre yet.
Performance
  • Very zippy for common tasks.
  • Incredibly light.
  • Dead silent
  • Battery lasts >8 hours, unless used for gaming
  • SSD is lightening fast as it should be. Start up times are excellent and even better with Win10 upgrade
  • Both USB ports are 3.0. One USB port can be used for USB charging while laptop is swtiched off.
Issues I have faced so far
  • Weak wifi. Signal drops beyond a certain distance while other laptops at the same distance face no issues
  • Touchpad performance is poor (Sensitivity, palm tracking, scroll). Have to change multiple settings to mitigate it.

Touchpad performance is poor (Sensitivity, palm tracking, scroll). Have to change multiple settings to mitigate it.
you should get it checked/replaced by service center. even i had touchpad issues on my old XPS13. i suffered for a year, then thought of getting it checked after reading similar feedback on dell forum. got free replacement as i had international warranty back then.

Has anyone extended the warranty (on their XPS 13)?

I got the following quote from the Dell team:
  • Additional 1 Yr Pro Support Onsite NBD Service : 11,999
  • Additional 2 Yr Pro Support Onsite NBD Service : 21,999
  • Additional 3 Yr Pro Support Onsite NBD Service : 33,999
Seems ridiculously exorbitant.

Planning to get this one from the US.
https://www.amazon.com/XPS9350-4007...in:7817224011,p_85:2470955011#customerReviews

Any idea about the price I need to pay to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro(Need remote connection)?

Also are there any charges applicable for transferring the tag to India?[DOUBLEPOST=1471537916][/DOUBLEPOST]Took the plunge and ordered it. Damages 73,566 (1100$ approx.)..............Ouch!!
But I can still console myself that the official Dell Store price is 1400$
upload_2016-8-18_22-0-7.png

Last edited:
^ Nice price, i think the similar config costs around 1 lakh in India. Dell Tag transfer is free. How are you bringing this to India?

Last edited:
^ Nice price, i think the similar config costs around 1 lakh in India. Dell Tag transfer is free. How are you bringing this to India?

The same model is 1.11 lakh In India.

A colleague of mine will be bringing it on mid September.Cancelled buying a GTX 1080 as I am not gaming much any more.

Why don't u guys look at best buy, you can get 150$-250$ off using student coupon discount.
Picked up a dell 7000 series i5 6200u/8gb ddr4/256ssd/15.6 touch @ 499$ after disc.; worked out to 35k, same one is around 69k here at reliance digital.

Why don't u guys look at best buy, you can get 150$-250$ off using student coupon discount.
Picked up a dell 7000 series i5 6200u/8gb ddr4/256ssd/15.6 touch @ 499$ after disc.; worked out to 35k, same one is around 69k here at reliance digital.
I had checked Bestbuy but this model was not eligible for the student discount.The xps 15 was which was way too expensive for me.

Last edited:
Back