Camera New DSLR for beginner

Ok. You win.
first.gif

Now in your position, since you already have the 18-55 bundled, you may as well go for the 55-250 or the 70-300 depending on your need.

The 18-200 suggestion was if you went for body only.

Any decent options in 55-250 apart from the canon option that i should look into or but the canon piece which is around 9k. This would resolve all my needs
Regards

@beanstalk_230 Going by your requirements, especially that you don't have much idea if you need manual control - are you completely sure that you need a DSLR ?
That you need to get a DSLR to get much better pictures is usually a popular myth. Photography is not only about the camera, its just a tool to get the desired result. The most important thing while buying a Camera (or anything really) is to first know about what exactly you want. What are the things you feel you need to control to get better images than say a typical point and shoot digicam or even your phone camera. There are many other types of cameras than DSLR which can serve the job as well or even better depending on what you want.

Did you know half of the photos of this ride was shot on iPhone 5 -
I was carrying 2 DSLRs on this ride. One for the wide and the other for telephoto shots. Carrying 1 DSLR and interchanging two lenses would have become a bit of a time wastage. And time was very precious for this ride.

Removing the big cameras from the bag also takes a minute, so I had every intention of using the iPhone too, quite frequently, where I cannot lose any important moment. And it’s the moments timely captured that make amazing and winning photographs.

So at the end of the day when I use to select the best pics from the lot to upload on the blog, I realized most were from my iPhone.

http://www.wanderlustbiker.com/10-surprising-shocking-things-true-wanderers-saga/

After reading and going through several articles at forums like dpreview etc I have finalised D3300 and ordered it from Flipkart @ 27k & opted for COD. eBay was slightly cheaper but Lucknow UP entry restrictions make COD the best way forward.

Whats the hurry to buy the lens?

First master the 18-55, then move on.

Actually I'll travelling out in a week to a forest reserve and that is why the hurry to get the zoom lens. I have almost finalized the stock Nikon 50-200 which is bundled in the dual lems kit @ 7.5k on ebay. I hope it turns out to be okay.

Good decision 55-200 ?? Haven't ordered yet.

@beanstalk_230 Going by your requirements, especially that you don't have much idea if you need manual control - are you completely sure that you need a DSLR ?
Yes. I want to take the leap & more importantly learn. I know I might be disappointed initially but Im ready for the challenge.

Did you know half of the photos of this ride was shot on iPhone 5 -

That's what I have been using my Note 3 for. Recent outdoor trips including a forest excursion created the need to get a decent camera otherwise was more than happy with my phone.

After reading and going through several articles at forums like dpreview etc I have finalised D3300 and ordered it from Flipkart @ 27k & opted for COD. eBay was slightly cheaper but Lucknow UP entry restrictions make COD the best way forward.

Actually I'll travelling out in a week to a forest reserve and that is why the hurry to get the zoom lens. I have almost finalized the stock Nikon 50-200 which is bundled in the dual lems kit @ 7.5k on ebay. I hope it turns out to be okay.

I thought you were buying a 1200D

Plan changed. I was but D3300 was quoted to be better everywhere throughout & also keeping in mind its a one time purchase.

Next order by tonight would be Nikon lens
D3300 is a good decision for starters and would be ample for years to come as you mature in photography. The Nikkor 55-200 is a decent lens for the price if you aren't willing to stretch your budget at all. However for forest reserves and wildlife in general you should be looking at the 300mm range minimal. Nikkor 55-300 or the more expensive but better, 70-300 VR is what you should be going for if you are serious about your photos. For casual shooters. 55-300 VR is good enough.

After reading and going through several articles at forums like dpreview etc I have finalised D3300 and ordered it from Flipkart @ 27k & opted for COD. eBay was slightly cheaper but Lucknow UP entry restrictions make COD the best way forward.Actually I'll travelling out in a week to a forest reserve and that is why the hurry to get the zoom lens. I have almost finalized the stock Nikon 50-200 which is bundled in the dual lems kit @ 7.5k on ebay. I hope it turns out to be okay.Good decision 55-200 ?? Haven't ordered yet.
Good decision to get the D3300, it actually is a better camera with a much better sensor. If you are really serious and your primary interest is in wildlife photography, I'd suggest the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 di vc usd. It costs about 24-25k but probably the best tele zoom of that range within 40k.
P.S. Notice the bold part, Tamron also have regular 70-300 lens which is cheaper and has very average IQ.

Ultimately went ahead with Nikon D3300 with kit lens for 27k. Also ordered the remote & Nikon 55-200mm VR lens which was around 7.2k

Thanks for all the suggestions in the thread. Now where do I start off with the basics of DSLR shooting is the next big question. Have gone through a couple of Nikon DSLR videos but I think I need a lot more insight. Kindly suggest.

Regards

Back