New DVD Player/BluRay Player

Hello guys,

I'm in the market for a DVD Player or a BluRay Player.

Now, I'd preferably like a BluRay player as it can upconvert regular dvd's but if it is too much than a DVD player will do.

Bring on the suggestions,
Crazysah

You've not mentioned your budget, so to start of, the cheapest bluray player I have seen is Phillips 2600 which costs around Rs. 4800/- you might find sony S370 (don't remember exact model number) for around the same price.

I recently bought Sony BDP S380 for 5.6K from local store. It's region C locked for BD and region free for DVD. It's pretty decent player with NTFS support, very good BD loading times.
Philips BDP 2600 would be the cheapest bet for 4.9K online (locally may be less) for region C locked BD player.

Both upscale DVDs. But build quality is better for Sony. And another thing is Philips 2600 does not have front display panel.

All Panny, LG, Samsung players available in India are region C locked players.

For region free, there was one option from Onida. Onida BDX1110. But now that player would be EOL. Try your luck finding it out. One soft mod was there by which one could change regions unlimited times.

If you are importing, Toshiba BDX3200KE or BDX3200KB (that KE/KB part I dont remember exactly) is VFM region free player. Cannot comment on Build quality and other features.

Buy BD player only If you really want to watch BDs. Else any good Sony DVD player which upscales DVD should be good enough. Which should cost approx 2.5 to 3K.

But Once you start watching BDs, I am pretty much sure you will love it.

Is there anything available with a USB drive? Cause then I can just stick my hard drive in and start watching? And I'd much prefer a BD disc just for future proof.

all BD player IMO has USB slot. Sony BDP S380 has NTFS support too.

---------- Post added at 11:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

If you are gonna watch movies from HDD only, and that too all the times, get Asus o Play instead mate.

Asus o play mini is media player. Google it for more info. If you have large DVD collection, then fo sure buy DVD/BD player. And now a days all DVD players are equipped with USB port. One thing to look whether player supports NTFS file system type or not, if not then you wont be able to play files larger then 4 GB. And Your NTFS formatted external HDD wont get recognized by your player.

So, the Sony BD-S380 is the recommended one? Not the model above that? I'm willing to pay upwards of 5k if I get something that's really good.

Back