New HTPC Config | Moderate Gaming

Folks,

Need some advice on hardware for a HTPC that would be used by my brother-in-law:

I will first-of-all answer the question put up by Renu, next if not asked will put forth my questions:

1. Q: What is your budget?

1. 20k

2. Q: What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)

1. None

3. Q: Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)

1. Samsung 32" TV - Its not FHD

4. Q: Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.

1. SMPS: VX450

2. Please reply for other components

3. HD : 1 Tb

5. Q: Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component

1. Final Configuration

6. Q: Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)

1. Mumbai/Pune/Nagpur

2. Yup, open to online purchase

7. Q: Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market

1. Probably

8. Q: What is your intended use for this PC/hardware

1. Moderate Gaming

2. HTPC

9. Q: Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.

1. Would like to stick with those who provide good support.

10. Q: If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?

1. Strategy - Civilization 4

2. Racing - Grid at medium to high settings (FHD)

11. Q: What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage

1. Gaming - FHD, LCD would be upgraded in future.

12. Q: Are you looking to overclock?

1. No

13. Q: Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?

1. Windows XP, MediaPortal

So, please suggest me the hardware along with pricing. I don't wish to buy a high-end motherboard, instead would look for a cheap motherboard + GPU (HDMI).

Forgot to add: Due respect be given to power consumption :)

This rig would be only Movie and Gaming, very rarely (almost none) music.

Let me know.

TIA.

+LT

Why the VX450 for a HTPC rig :S A FSP SAGAII 350w should do for your needs. Any particular reason?

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor Intel E5400(2.7GHz, 2 cores, LGA 775) 3050

Motherboard Gigabyte G41ME-S2L 2300

RAM 2GB 800MHz Kingston DDRII RAM 2025

HDD 1TB WD Green 4350

GPU Sapphire 512MB DDR5 HD5670 5200

Cabinet CM Elite 310 1550

PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1450

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Mouse NA -

ODD L.G. GH22NS30 /Samsung SH-S22F SATA DVD-Writer 1100

Total 21725

Nothing beats the E5xxx series in power consumption at that price point. The 5670 has very low idle power.

Add a 2.1/5.1 speakers according to your need

^ Thanks for the advice, was very similar to what I had thought of. One question though, would the FSP SAGA be able to handle the gaming? Ofcourse you must have thought of it. 5670 shouldn't be drawing too much power I guess. Just reaffirming.

Gaming would be some high paced racing like Burnout. I am noob in gaming related h/w, just clarifying.

+LT

+1 to DarkAngel's config.

And yes, the FSP Saga will have no problem powering the 5670 at gaming load.
The onboard video on the G41 board should be enough for all your HTPC needs, so you can remove the 5670 from the setup when its dealing only with video-related duties for increased efficiency.

If you want more efficiency and don't mind spending more for slightly lesser power consumption:-
*Replace the G41M ES2L+2GB DDR2 stick with the G41MT ES2L and a 2GB DDR3 module.
*Go for a slighly more efficient PSU, the Seasonic 380W for example. (only makes sense if you intend to game a lot/keep ththe GPU loaded)
*Also, this being a micro ATX motherboard based build, you can consider going for a smaller case. The Silverstone Sugo Series SG02B-F00020 is rather excellent. Great if you want a smaller form factor.

Ofcourse, all of this is optional and probably unnecessary...

linuxtechie said:
^ Thanks for the advice, was very similar to what I had thought of. One question though, would the FSP SAGA be able to handle the gaming? Ofcourse you must have thought of it. 5670 shouldn't be drawing too much power I guess. Just reaffirming.

Gaming would be some high paced racing like Burnout. I am noob in gaming related h/w, just clarifying.

+LT

The HD5670 doesnt want seperare PCIE connector. Max power draw is only 70-75 :) So the SAGA will handle it. The max load of your sys will be under 150w.

The HD5670 performance is almost equivalent to the 9800GT performance. So i guess it should.

Back