New ISP?

cranky

Skilled
I'm a little fed up of TI nowadays.

What's a good ISP/service nowadays for Mahim (W), Mumbai?

I have three ISPs in my office and I basically live a minute away, so I can use any of them:

1. Hathway: Capped upload (which becomes inconvenient - I maintain ratio of >1.5), very expensive, not sure about service

2. TI/VSNL: Very good at night, terrible packet loss and frequent loss of connection in the day. Basically unusable. Terrible tech support - the guys don't respond to requests and log in requests as serviced when in fact the problems still persist. Downtime is low though - I may have experienced about 10-12 days downtime in the last six months.

3. Reliance - supposed to be the best in the area at least. Anticipate problems with support, and the downtimes are usually extended in nature - cable cuts, connection problems etc. I had my IT support switch my NIC to Reliance, and it seems to be a lot better than TI in office at least.

I guess there are a few local cable guys as well, but I'm not too keen on those.

I'm looking for 512 or better speeds, and unlimited connections. I can't be bothered with prepaid either. I may retain this TI connection and downgrade it to a slow backup connection (change of plan) or share it on wireless for my other PCs, using the main connection for everything else.

Any suggestions?

Reliance Wi-max depending on your location, it seems to be avery good ISP esp. regarding negligible downtime...

The thing is if it works it works flawlessly otherwise it just wont work, so call them up and ask for feasibility in your area...

It seems that there are a lot of issues with getting a stable connection and that one has to login multiple times. I definitely need a static IP, that's kind of set in stone, and it doesn't seem that WiMax allows it?

Anyway I'll ask the reps when they're here.

How does one get in touch with them - they don't even have a website! Someone in my client's office should know though.

sangram said:
It seems that there are a lot of issues with getting a stable connection and that one has to login multiple times. I definitely need a static IP, that's kind of set in stone, and it doesn't seem that WiMax allows it?

Anyway I'll ask the reps when they're here.

How does one get in touch with them - they don't even have a website! Someone in my client's office should know though.

afaik you need to login from a webinterface every 11 hours or something like that.

maybe Reliance WiMax is not the thing for you.

The connection is very stable, you do have login once every 24 hrs though. Static IP I dont think thats an option, Apart from VSNL I dont think anyone offers static IP, and AFAIK its costly etc...

whatever you do... DO NOT go for hathway. Lame service and huge downtimes would be putting it mildly.

I switched from h'way to Reliance Wimax 400kbps UL plan recently and its pretty darn good. Great service as well so far.

I got a call from the reliance people few days back.
Am probably going for their connection.

@Sangram
Reliance Wimax does offer static ip's.
Their multi-user plans offer static ip's and non-authentication based connections.
So you won't have to login at all. The connection will be always on.

Find the rate and plans attached.

Contact Swati @ 9320399702.

Attachments

• wimax.JPG
    wimax.JPG
    128 KB · Views: 130
Thanks everybody, specially Raj.

Looks viable if there's a Wimax tower in my locality. The 1MBPS multiuser is too expensive, I think I'll try it with single-user for a couple of months and then decide. The cost of 1MBPS there is pretty good.

Back