PC Peripherals New keyboard suggestion

masterkd

Disciple
My Razer Cyclosa is dying after 4 years of heavy use as the keys are getting jammed. Now I need to purchase a new keyboard.
Now I read a lot that mechanical keyboards are much better and comfortable than the traditional rubber dome keyboards I'm planning to purchase one.
But as these are expensive I just want to know does it REALLY worth spending that much on mechanical keyboards? Otherwise I will go for cheaper rubber dome gaming keyboard.

Budget: as cheap as possible but do not want to compromise with quality.

I'm looking for below features in the keyboard.
1. Must be durable. My room gets lot of dust. Should be able to use it for long time.
2. If mechanical I believe brown would be better for me as I game as well as type a lot. Not sure if black would be good. Red seems to be too light and blue is too noisy.
3. Must have volume up, down and mute keys.
4. Having backlight is a real plus.
5. Having macro keys is not that important.

Please suggest.[DOUBLEPOST=1438781877][/DOUBLEPOST]Currently I have shortlisted below three
Logitech G105
SteelSeries 6GV2
CM Strom QuickFire Rapid I

Last edited:
SteelSeries 6GV2
According to me Steelseries 6vG keyboard is a really great gaming keyboard. I used to use a Logitech and before that a Dell, but this is clearly the best one. The keys press very quickly and are very responsive to the touch, which is the most important feature for a competitive gamer. It also isn't too big or clunky like many Razer keyboard, which is another nice feature. It doesn't have too many bells and whistles, but it is really clean and efficient.

SteelSeries 6GV2
According to me Steelseries 6vG keyboard is a really great gaming keyboard. I used to use a Logitech and before that a Dell, but this is clearly the best one. The keys press very quickly and are very responsive to the touch, which is the most important feature for a competitive gamer. It also isn't too big or clunky like many Razer keyboard, which is another nice feature. It doesn't have too many bells and whistles, but it is really clean and efficient.
Thanks for the suggestion. However I was planning for the Rapid I as it backlit and also for the brown keys. Do yo think it doesn't worth the extra money?

I have been using Mechanical Keyboards for quite a long time now.
I love them a lot. I used to have cherry mx blues at first but they were clicky and used to disturb my night mates.
Recently I switched to Rapid i TKL brown and damn I love it. It so handy and the tactile feedback is very good.
So i would definitely recommend anyone to buy a mechanical keyboard any day.
I can type faster and touch type.

But if your a gamer mainly then I would recommend cherry reds as they can be useful while double tapping.
I am a game programmer and so i type and play a lot and browns suit me the best.

Buying a mechanical keyboard is a tough decision as today there are a lot of available.
Depending on budget, my recommendations would be:
1) If you can spend more money then definitely go for ducky shine 3 or filco.
2) If you want to be in budget then cmstorm rapid i tkl
3) Corsair K70

As far as backlit is considered, I would say they are just gimmiks in Mechanical Keyboards as they are made to break down.
Most Mechanical Keyboards have problems with led lighting. You can Google that. My rapid had three dead leds when I bought it. But it got replaced soon enough. New one got one led dead within a month. But i am waiting for more to go and then I would go for replacement.
Also I would recommend you to check geekhack.org as they are pro in Mechanical Keyboards.

ducky shine and filco are too expensive and with almost zero availability in India.
I also type and game so I am inclined to brown as well. Thinking to finalize Rapid i.
Navigating to geekhack.org :D

Off Topic: Really interested in game programing. You pro? Some guide and insights?[DOUBLEPOST=1438852203][/DOUBLEPOST]Just searched online and found a lot of Rapid i led failure stories
What's the option now?
6GV2 with black which I don't think is suitable for me.

Last edited:
Back